Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Speaking of sunlight, one thing about the screen.

Can't see a damn thing (or hardly) with polarized sunglasses
Apparently someone told me that if you get a matt film on a screen it will improve the vision of it with polarized sunglasses.

Not sure if that is true. Anyone ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

What you need is something called circular polarizer film. It will introduce a 50% loss in brightness but that shouldn't be an issue in bright sunlight where you would be wearing polarizing sunglasses.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
What you need is something called circular polarizer film. It will introduce a 50% loss in brightness but that shouldn't be an issue in bright sunlight where you would be wearing polarizing sunglasses.
Not really a great solution since that would mean taking it of indoors wouldn't it ?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Not really a great solution since that would mean taking it of indoors wouldn't it ?
Not in theory since the 50% loss would only be present when wearing linearly polarized sunglasses.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Not in theory since the 50% loss would only be present when wearing linearly polarized sunglasses.
Ok next question where can you get it ?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok next question where can you get it ?
I misspoke. You don't want circular polarizer film (that blocks certain polarizations). You want a quarter wave retarder film which will take the linearly polarized light from the display and spread it evenly into all polarizations (i.e. convert it to circular polarization). That should approximately half the intensity in bright sunlight with linearly polarized sunglasses (Polaroid, Maui Jim, etc.) and have only a small effect on the brightness (limited only by transparency of the film) without polarizing sunglasses.

http://www.apioptics.com/quarter-wave-retarders.html

The drawback might be slight color fringing due to chromatic polarization properties of the film. That would just have to be tested.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was walking through a store last night and a screen protector for an iPad Mini caught my eye. I bought the kit (protector, application fluid, squeegee, and microfiber cloth) for my DS-16. I carefully peeled the protective film from my new radio (hadn't removed it yet), stuck it to the oversized iPad protector and then used it as a template, cutting around the edges with a #11 Exacto blade. I then used a sharp pair of scissors to slight chamfer the corners.

After applying according to the supplied instructions, it turned out beautifully. Absolutely transparent and very scratch resistant.

Here's a link to what I purchased: http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php It was the "original: military grade scratch protection" version for $25. Not cheap but neither was my DS-16.

Thought I'd share.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was walking through a store last night and a screen protector for an iPad Mini caught my eye. I bought the kit (protector, application fluid, squeegee, and microfiber cloth) for my DS-16. I carefully peeled the protective film from my new radio (hadn't removed it yet), stuck it to the oversized iPad protector and then used it as a template, cutting around the edges with a #11 Exacto blade. I then used a sharp pair of scissors to slight chamfer the corners.

After applying according to the supplied instructions, it turned out beautifully. Absolutely transparent and very scratch resistant.

Here's a link to what I purchased: http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php It was the "original: military grade scratch protection" version for $25. Not cheap but neither was my DS-16.

Thought I'd share.
Great I wanted a good reason to head to the Apple store again.

Did you try it with polarized glasses ?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Great I wanted a good reason to head to the Apple store again.

Did you try it with polarized glasses ?
Nope; I'm old and need bifocals so I just have transition (auto darkening) prescription lenses.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Screen Protector

I will be going to my local camera shop and checking to see if they have a camera LCD protector big enough. Otherwise, I like the iPad idea, although a bit expensive.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Screen Protector

I just let my plastic screens accumulate scratches for a year or so, then I take five minutes and polish them out...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are certain toys in life that SHOULD show signs of wear and tear: mountain bikes, cameras and radios. Otherwise it looks like you have not had fun with it
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
I just let my plastic screens accumulate scratches for a year or so, then I take five minutes and polish them out...
By any chance to you use Meguire's Plastic polish?

I originally got it to polish the scratches out of a convertible's plastic rear window and it worked great, so I've been using it ever since.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
By any chance to you use Meguire's Plastic polish?

I originally got it to polish the scratches out of a convertible's plastic rear window and it worked great, so I've been using it ever since.
I do have some Meguire's products lying around somewhere I think. But not the polish.

I had some mobile phone display polish, which was exorbitantly expensive for a tiny tube, and now I'm using a tube of Autosol polish, which I use for pretty much everything... Metal, Glass, Plastic...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

wow - interesting - I never tried that stuff.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikuiti-PROT...=5336432818-21

A new one for DS-16, the guy who gave the link says that the same brand for his DC-16 is still looking great after 10 months
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is the stuff if you want to polish minor scratches away.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-10-Cl.../dp/B0000AXMD2
Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikuiti-PROT...=5336432818-21

That's the ticket, I am ordering it, apparently it reduces the polarizing effect of sunglasses by 70%
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Vikuiti ADQC27 SCREEN PROTECTOR by 3M for Jeti DS-16: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That's the ticket, I am ordering it, apparently it reduces the polarizing effect of sunglasses by 70%
Apparently the debate is still raging on this, not sure it does that. Guess I will have some spare if they don't. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just ordered a few sets and will see for myself.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in