Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main shafts?

Curious if most of you guys straighten your main shafts when they're bent in a crash? I have found it to be a pretty easy process. After removing the center hub and swashplate, I take out the top two frame screws and separate the frame with my hands, while pulling the main shaft out. I then roll it on my table saw top, noting where it is bent and then carefully bend it opposite way in the vise. It takes some trial and error, but I haven't bent one so badly I couldn't straighten it yet. Do you do something similar?
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not me. Main shafts are always binned if they are bent. It only takes the smallest of bends virtually invisible to detect except on a perfectly smooth surface, to cause vibrations. Any vibration is bad for a heli; it wears bearings and other parts really quickly.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had some success doing this BKT, you can get it close to perfect if you are very patient and have a dead flat smooth surface to test on, but they never seem to run as smooth as a new one. Luke is right: vibes = bad, the more you can avoid them the better.
Now a days I only do this as a last resort if I can't find stock at my usual haunts, but then swap in a new one once I get more.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can definitely see the vibrations when the shaft is bent, and it is easy to watch the swashplate for movement as you spin up. After I straighten the shaft, I can't see the Bee vibrate, and there is little to no movement of the swashplate. I have been doing this for a year and haven't had to replace any bearings yet. I break most of the other moving parts before they have time to wear out!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey if it works for you then go with it. Personally I dont have the patients to mess with straightening and just keep a healthy supply of new ones in the parts bin
Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I'm too cheap to spend $3 or more per shaft when I can get around it! Especially since my parts spending has already greatly exceeded the cost of the Bee. Sometimes I feel like I'm keeping Esky in business all by myself. Oh well, I sure am having fun while I'm at it. I've been working on outside circles for a while now, and by that I mean instead of circling myself, the circles are out in front. For some reason clockwise circles are a lot easier for me than counterclockwise. I both cases, though, I have to really be careful due to all the pecan trees and other obstacles in my side yard, although there are few I haven't hit at some time or other.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on CW circles being easier. Took me longer then it should have to master smooth, perfect CCW circles and even now I occasionally fumble a tight one.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know what you mean--I"m still working on it. These days, if I stuck to what I can already do, I would seldom crash, but I keep pushing, trying to get better and learn more and then I crash! I think that is just the way of it in the heli world.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as the shafts go, I've tried to straighten them, and checked them with and indicator and V block and have never been happy with what the dial indicator said....sure they would work relatively well, but it would always be on my mind that it's NOT straight, and drive me crazy...

I have actually made my own before, and they worked well but now I don't have the time anymore to get in the machine shop for Heli parts, so I just stock up on them and changem out when I bend'em...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess the fact that the straightened ones do so well that I can't see any vibration or problem has led me not to worry about their perfection. I have bought several shafts this year, mostly just to have straight spares, but I honestly can't see that the brand new ones perform any better. I did, however, buy a new one recently that was already bent when I got it. It was also the only one I ever bought that has a lower pin that you can actually move.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
I guess the fact that the straightened ones do so well that I can't see any vibration or problem has led me not to worry about their perfection. I have bought several shafts this year, mostly just to have straight spares, but I honestly can't see that the brand new ones perform any better. I did, however, buy a new one recently that was already bent when I got it. It was also the only one I ever bought that has a lower pin that you can actually move.
This is the only thing that drives me insane about the bee. having to sand out the bottom hole of every shaft so it is humanly possible to remove the pin without ripping the heli apart.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah man, don't get me wrong, if you straighten a shaft good enough it will fly relatively smooth with the low head speeds of the bee.

And you are right about the new shafts coming In bent sometimes ...unfortunately QA/QC practices coming out of china are less than desirable..

My thing is, when I measure the runout of a shaft with an indicator and get .005 - .008 runout, it's physically impossible for it to spin true...

Even if it " appears" to not have vibes, I personally can't use it.. It's just me, with my profession ( Journeymen machinist/ CNC programmer 11 years, currently Engineer) I am a perfectionist and In my head it drives me nuts... Haha

Not to say you are wrong by any means, and not to say I haven't straightened a shaft and got back in the air when in a bind...I just prefer to use a nice new straight shaft, then I KNOW that's one less variable to worry about, that's all.

But then again....these Bees are just back yard rippers for fun anyways!!! I just find myself getting carried away with them some times!!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
This is the only thing that drives me insane about the bee. having to sand out the bottom hole of every shaft so it is humanly possible to remove the pin without ripping the heli apart.
No sanding required with my shafts....
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
Yeah man, don't get me wrong, if you straighten a shaft good enough it will fly relatively smooth with the low head speeds of the bee.

And you are right about the new shafts coming In bent sometimes ...unfortunately QA/QC practices coming out of china are less than desirable..

My thing is, when I measure the runout of a shaft with an indicator and get .005 - .008 runout, it's physically impossible for it to spin true...

Even if it " appears" to not have vibes, I personally can't use it.. It's just me, with my profession ( Journeymen machinist/ CNC programmer 11 years, currently Engineer) I am a perfectionist and In my head it drives me nuts... Haha

Not to say you are wrong by any means, and not to say I haven't straightened a shaft and got back in the air when in a bind...I just prefer to use a nice new straight shaft, then I KNOW that's one less variable to worry about, that's all.

But then again....these Bees are just back yard rippers for fun anyways!!! I just find myself getting carried away with them some times!!
Fortunately for my peace of mind, I can't measure the straightness like you can, so I just go fly, thinking it is straight enough if I can't tell the difference in flight! I am sure that will change with the 450 I will be building soon.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Fortunately for my peace of mind, I can't measure the straightness like you can, so I just go fly, thinking it is straight enough if I can't tell the difference in flight! I am sure that will change with the 450 I will be building soon.
Alright....another member of the 450club, cool man!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!! Already got all the parts for the 450 (HK 450 Pro), plus a Spektrum DX6i, but since this is supposed to be a Christmas present from the wife, I have to wait a few weeks to start building. Meanwhile, still having a lot of fun with the Bee. The recent King 2 esc mod was the best thing I ever did to it besides the SuperBlades.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am sure that will change with the 450 I will be building soon.
Hehe...yup, the Bee is pretty forgiving, whereas a 450 will punish you for faults you can't even find to start with!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check out the brand new Tarot 450 Pro V2 ! Its only $120 and it comes with motor. For $60 more you get the FBL electronics.
If you dont know, Tarot is equal to Align in quality and most like there FBL head and electronics much better then Align.
I wish I didnt have so many flybar spares for my two 450s or id have one of these already.

What a beautiful heli! I love the white blades / gear / skids.
Add some white tail blades to complete the look.
http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-pro...s-p-61751.html

FBL electronics
http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-zyx01-z...05lrgm4rlbgo06
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet-Lama View Post
Check out the brand new Tarot 450 Pro V2 ! Its only $120 and it comes with motor. For $60 more you get the FBL electronics.
If you dont know, Tarot is equal to Align in quality and most like there FBL head and electronics much better then Align.
I wish I didnt have so many flybar spares for my two 450s or id have one of these already.

What a beautiful heli! I love the white blades / gear / skids.
Add some white tail blades to complete the look.
http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-pro...s-p-61751.html

FBL electronics
http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-zyx01-z...05lrgm4rlbgo06

Dang VL that is one sweet rig for the money!!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just made 6 new main shafts from 3mm silver steel ,it comes in 13 inch lengths is inexpensive and has an accurate ground finish, 1mm hole one end 1.5 the other, if you break a drill use the shaft to make the pins. time consuming I know but a lot stonger than an Esky shaft!
hopkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in