Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Burning stator plates

Hello Guys.
Can anyone help me.
Is there any plus in buring stator plates?
I hear on automodel forum that burning stator plates can achieve 10-30% more power from motor.
Is it real?
Maeg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't hold your breath.

Do you have a link(s) to that stator burn discussion?
I only know of one kind of stator burning

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 01-19-2016 at 04:10 PM..
ron_van_sommeren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's on Russian forum. If you undestand it - i will post link.
They mean to dissassemble motor, unwind stator and burn it with gas burner until it became red color.
Then it cooldown at air by 3-4 hours.
Guy promise that it will lower iron loss in stator and give such big power increase.
Unfortunatle he cant show us numbers with burned stator alone - he done it with rewind too and get lower No-Load Current (Io/10V) - so i dont trust his words.

But may be i dont know something and this is secret needed for most powerfull motor?

Here is link to his site where he explain it http://rcmaster.com.ua/tppower-3620-3220kv/
Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't see how this would improve performance.There are stator plates made with the optimized magnetizing, but that can only be done when producing them under good conditions with the right equipment.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeg View Post
It's on Russian forum. If you understand it - i will post link. ...
We Dutch, including Laurens, are notorious polyglots
translate...rcmaster.com.ua/tppower-3620-3220kv

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lamination manufacturers put a lot of time and effort into production of stator/transformer laminations.
He has ruined insulation between laminations (if laquer and not rust).
The cleaning created more electrical contacts between laminations.
No new efficiency/power numbers.
He ruined a perfectly good stator.
Very nice inrunner winding though.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can only image the Io getting lower if the guy used worn out bearings on the original test and new bearings on the rewind. Or if the test voltage was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Very nice inrunner winding though.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
+1. I have done this myself and I can tell you it is hard work compared to an outrunner:
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for answers
You confirmed my minds
Then next step is try to rewind Scorpion 4035 in YY by myself
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeg View Post
Hello Guys.
Can anyone help me.
Is there any plus in buring stator plates?
I hear on automodel forum that burning stator plates can achieve 10-30% more power from motor.
Is it real?
Hi, I'm the person to whose website you referred to, there have been many tests and the results obtained, not reachable dlch standard motors, if someone does not believe, I am ready to prove that this is the case , mail is working, send the motor will do!
Romanmotruk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I'm the person to whose website you referred to, there have been many tests and the results obtained, not reachable dlch standard motors, if someone does not believe, I am ready to prove that this is the case , mail is working, send the motor will do!
Romanmotruk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Roman,

I'm certainly not here to heckle. Just curious as to how you carried out the test to determine what was the exact cause of your improvement. On the original site I see you also rewound the motor with larger conductors as well. So It may be possible that you reduced copper losses and gained a lot of your measured improvement there. What was your control? Did you ever compare two stators with the same windings and gauge conductors; the only difference being the heat treatment you performed to the stator? There is clear evidence that certain heat treatments, even poor ones, can increase the magnetic properties of certain steels, but I think for truly fair discussions we'd truly have to determine the exact type of steel used in the tp motors you've shown. It's an assumption that it is silicon steel but how would we determine the grade, or what heat treatment/processes etc.may have or may not have taken place before the stack was assembled at the factory? Nevertheless I'm still very interested in all your processes, how you wind the motors etc. I hope you will share more of your ideas on this topic here.

Don't be discouraged and thanks for your time and patience.

Last edited by 1BOHO; 01-09-2017 at 06:05 PM..
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

In a crazy twist based on your humidity, heating, and cooling process your laminations may have oxidized, forming a coating of "blue steel" (magnetite) or iron oxide Fe3O4. In such a case it would be a good insulator and possible decrease the eddy currents between the plates. It would also increase the magnetism of the plates. So not absolutely impossible to conceive an improvement with the right conditions and previously semi processed laminations more likely found in motors with a cheaper price tag.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is a process whereby individual stator plates get burned to form oxidation on the steel iot to improve insulation between the plates. This is normally done in an controlled environment to get the oxidation layer uniform.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For this type of bluing oxidation I'm speaking to take place the only real control of the environment would be the water in the air. This is why I say based on his conditions (humidity) and air cooling process it is not totally impossible with lower quality steels which would be cheaper on the manufacturers wallet. This "bluing" is not to be confused with the removal of carbon in a decarburization annealing process where water vapor and co2 are added to the atmosphere during the process and the by product of carbon monoxide is removed from the atmosphere as a gas. That type of annealing decarburization process would be used on lower alloy steels, and not be used on high alloy or quality silicon steels because it would actually lower the permeability. Higher quality magnetic or fully processed silicon steels would not use the bluing process or the decarburization process for insulation but a coating like C3, C5 or C6. Varnish with ceramic fillers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in