Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default heli options

ok so my question is what other brands of helis are there that are like about the size of the blade 120 sr, but without the crappy brushed tail motor that burns out constantly and is in the same aprox price range, i wouldn't even mind something that is collective pitch as long as its not gonna go ballistic on me when i try to fly it, basically all i know of is the mcpx in the blade class of helis
deesman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesman View Post
ok so my question is what other brands of helis are there that are like about the size of the blade 120 sr, but without the crappy brushed tail motor that burns out constantly and is in the same aprox price range, i wouldn't even mind something that is collective pitch as long as its not gonna go ballistic on me when i try to fly it, basically all i know of is the mcpx in the blade class of helis
The mCPX is the best option IMHO.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

NCCraig has the gear in his signature that says honest answer. Only thing I would add is try to get away from the tail motor and use a belt or shaft drive model. Ballistic covers alot of ground but the bird will only do what you tell it to...mostly.
GeorgiaBoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
NCCraig has the gear in his signature that says honest answer.
Shhhhh, don't tell anybody but I just list that stuff so people will think I know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a mcpx Fly and master it till late June when the awesome blade 130x comes out.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mcpx is not a 120 class heli, (if that is important to you). I can't throw rocks at it because I've never flown one, but from other discussions I've read, it seems to be a solid choice.

And while I cannot compare it to any of the Blades, I have been very happy with my Walkera v120d01. It has a fixed pitch main rotor (like the 120 sr), but the tail rotor is collective pitch. Additionally, the tail rotor is torque tube driven by the main/only motor. It seems to hold very well IMO. I've heard that one should enjoy tinkering if one is considering getting a Walkera. I've had to do my share in repairing damage caused by my crashes, but honestly don't think any other heli would have held up better given what I've done to it. It all seems well designed, and as robustly manufactured as could be hoped. I would recommend it to a friend, but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

The Walkera also lists for $209, which put it much closer to the 120 sr.

The 130x looks really tempting , and I can't wait until it comes out. If it can be tamed down, (which should be possible with a good tx), it could be perfect. The worst part will be waiting!

I fear you may have a hard decision given these mentioned, and other good helis.

Good luck!
heli-b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

ok well since there are lots of options when it comes to helis and i need to be more specific. lets look at it this way... i know the mcpx is a good beginer for cp however we are talking about still a plastic heli, which if i want it to be stronger and more durable i have to upgrade it to aluminum parts or cf. so lets say we jump right into a heli that is already aluminum, does not have a electric tail motor and it about the size and price range of the 120. just for example i was looking at a dynam e. razor 250 pro going for the 160- 200 dollar price range. what could i expect as a noob with cp out of this heli knowing full well i will definatly break something but if i take it easy i can learn it ?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plastic gives, aluminum stays bent. Giving is better for a beginner.

Stay far, far away from e-razor!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

ya i read about the unavailability of parts for that heli. i am just trying to get the most bang for my buck here, and being that im no youngster my eyes arent what they used to be so a small heli gets real small when it gets anything over 10 feet away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in