Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters

Miniature Aircraft Helicopters Stratus, Spectra G, Furion, Ion-X, Bobby Watts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3d printed gears? Resin molded gears?

Is it feasible to 3d print the main gears? Or maybe make from resin molds? Maybe make a silicone mold from a good gear and pour glass reinforced resin gears? Certainly the secondary tail drive gears that have less stress can be 3d printed, no? How about a zinc gear from a silicone mold? I'm trying to figure what to do if I strip a main gear on my fury and stratus. This ain't rocket science, there's got to be a way to make a serviceable gear.
Blade 600X, Trex 700e, TSA 620N, MA Fury 90
wingspan99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Likely not. More feasible is to have someone machine one from Delrin
Heliguy3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Urethane gears

I tt a friend with a 3d printing business, and he said the PLA and ABS plastics used in 3d printing are too low in temp to withstand the harshness of heli main gear duty. But he said that a urethane casting may be strong enough and heat resistant enough. There is a wide spectrum of hardness and flex in urethane resins. Urethane is what bowling balls are made of, which may be a little too brittle, but just below that may give a hardness similar to nylon. If I get one of these main gears made I will test it on my Tempest and Stratus machines, and maybe someone else can test one too, in a hot climate, near sea level with a high power engine, on a hard 3D flight. I fly at 6100' and cant stress it nearly as much. I mainly need a recommendation for a urethane to make the first batch. I will probably make silicone molds that are flat on top, pour urethane to overfill the cavity and clamp a piece of glass over the top to get it flat while it cures so that it will run true. I am already thinking about the other heli's gears and how to cast them in urethane as well as a tiny spur gear for some of the servos I have stripped that have no gearsets available. A urethane gear could be even tougher than nylon.
The mold making process is pretty simple, you coat the part in silicone mold release agent, attatch it flat to a glass plate with a little hot glue, make a wall around it, and pour silicone mold formula over it, and when the silicone is cured the part comes out leaving a detailed impression. Then some urethane mold release is brushed in the mold and the urethane is poured in and a plate is clamped over the top to get it flat. If anyone has casting experience please chime right in here.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Aluminum filled Epoxy Casting Resins

I found this link to a spec sheet for casting resins.
http://www.freemansupply.com/tables/...ing-resins.htm
The strength of these liquid tooling resins is 2x-3x higher than urethanes even, and the durometer hardness of 90D for some of them is much harder than the hardest urethanes, yet still not as hard as nylons which rate 110R-115R (Rockwell R).
With aluminum fillers I wonder if it will increase the lifespan of an epoxy main gear being driven by a steel pinion? Freeman 801 or Freeman 805 would be a first guess. The tensile strength is way up there at 7-8k psi.
Liquid tooling resins are designed to become a mold to inject something of slightly lower temperature into it (like liquid nylon) to make a part. Talk about strong epoxy, this aint no 5-minute "epoxy"! Maybe JB Weld is the closest thing I've seen.
-Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in