Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default DX6 in a 550?

Ok,lets hear it,I am going to fly my 550 with a dx6.Range checked after assembly and got close to 150 feet of good range check with the reduced power/bind button pushed.Any comments?? From what I read the DX 6 is for "park flyers" only.Is it
feasable to do this? Thanks!

Mark Smith
P.S. Hovered it tonight for the first time WOW!!!!!! Very Quiet and stable
Mark A Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a DX6 for quite a while... and was very happy with it. It worked fine...never lost signal to the heli.
bstock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Smith View Post
Ok,lets hear it,I am going to fly my 550 with a dx6.Range checked after assembly and got close to 150 feet of good range check with the reduced power/bind button pushed.Any comments?? From what I read the DX 6 is for "park flyers" only.Is it
feasable to do this? Thanks!

Mark Smith
P.S. Hovered it tonight for the first time WOW!!!!!! Very Quiet and stable
My understanding of the concern is that the more "mass" you have to the heli/plane...the more chance of the frame/battery "masking" the signal if you get at a certain attitude.

I am currently flying my ECO8 with the samll 6100 rcvr, which is about the same as your small rcvr. And have no problem with about 6 flights so far.

I was going to fly the 550 the same way and started adding up all the $$$ I had into it...and just decided to go for the dual rvcr since I have the DX7.

Since you can't do that with the DX6, I guess it's your call....just try to mount the reciver in the best location possible that it will get the most signal.

If your not into hard 3D you will "most likely" be OK....Spektrum says it's OK up to the 400 class of helis...and this really isn't much bigger....it's not like it's a raptor 90 or anything.

I intend to keep flying the ECO with the single rcvr until i encounter a problem.

I also have a friend that flys all his helis with the single rcvr and has never had a problem.

1 more option, sell the DX6, you'll get good money for it and buy the DX6I or DX7 if you want the piece of mind.

they both have more heli programming features than the DX6
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

MJ is right about the concern of the mass on the 550 blocking the signal in 3D moves.

If you are using the AR6000... it is actually a DualLink reciever (2 RXs built in... but no satelitte RX like a 6200 or 7000)... versus the 6100, which has one RX built in... so it will be better at holding the signal than a 6100.

His point on mounting it so you have clear view to it, is good advise.

I just sold the DX6 TX for $85. Net $73 after paypal fees and shipping cost.

I have the AR6000 in my T450 now... using a DX7 with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstock View Post
. versus the 6100, which has one RX built in... so it will be better at holding the signal than a 6100.

Bstock..(can't just use your initials "BS" lol)

I thought all the rcvrs were two channels because the Spektrum has to search and lock on to 2, that's why the dual antennas...so would'nt the 6100 be as good as the 6000 ?

I looked at the Spek Website and didn't see anything that would lead to believe it wasn't as good.

I know I can use the DX7 with the 6000 or 6100...but DX6 users can't use the 6100.

Just wondering, because if the 6000 is better i would use that...or did I misunderstand ?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Bstock..(can't just use your initials "BS" lol)

I thought all the rcvrs were two channels because the Spektrum has to search and lock on to 2, that's why the dual antennas...so would'nt the 6100 be as good as the 6000 ?

I looked at the Spek Website and didn't see anything that would lead to believe it wasn't as good.

I know I can use the DX7 with the 6000 or 6100...but DX6 users can't use the 6100.

Just wondering, because if the 6000 is better i would use that...or did I misunderstand ?
The AR6000 has 2 receivers each works different channel. The antennas for 6000 are oriented 90 degrees apart to optimize for reception (shadowing).

The AR6100 only has 1 receiver that works on 2 different channels at the same time. The antenna for the 6100 is actually just a dipole antenna so you actually don't want to bend them 90 degree away like the 6000.

So the AR600 is actually more superior than the AR6100, but it does not has DSM2 technology (that was supposed to reduce power consumption and other improvement in protocol)

There is another forum on the Spektrum radio that discusses the technology in details. I am an amateur radio operator (hence the call ke6d) so I am very interested in this technology when it first came out because it looked like Spektrum had found a silver bullet that kills all the radio interference altogether (There are still a few issues such as receiver overloading that can not be solved easily)

But having witnessed a few crashes that involved Spektrum radio (receiver reset due to low voltage and long reconnection time after reset) I am not so sure

I must say though that the freedom to fly without worrying about someone accidentally turn on their transmitter and model match feature alone are worth every penny that I invested in my current radio system.

Cheers,

Dan
ke6d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah... I have been living with that BS thing all my life

I am not an expert on the technology of Spectrum... but here goes nothing:

I think you are right on the 2 channel part (I understood it as the Tx & Rx are receiving & error checking the signal across 2 different and ever changing parts of the spectrum/ frequency).

The difference between the 6000 & 6100 are in the number of RXs on board in the main package.

Spectrum calls it DuaLink... when there are 2 Rx in the package. The idea being... if 1 Rx loses or gets confused with receiving the packets/ signel from the Tx... the other Rx picks up. They are technically both receiving and processing the signal from the Tx... so if they fail over to the other Rx... there is no drop in packets/ signal that is noticable to the pilot.

The 6100 only has the 1 Rx... so you lose the fail over Rx with it.

One the other hand... the ServoSync function is not part of the 6000... that technology came with the advent of the DX7 and the 6100 and up RXs. ServoSync is said to give a more connected feel for the pilot... to the heli (by controlling the servo interaction more accuratly). I understand the DX7 has faster sampling rate also... and that also gives the pilot a more connected feel to the heli.

OK... I am not sure how much I messed that up... but I am sure the 6100 only has 1 RX

If anyone wants to jump in to help make this more accurate, please do! (Terry or KGfly?)
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was writing the reply between phone calls and a quick meeting... so I didn't see Dan beat me to it.

Dan... I thought each RX processed 2 channels... and the second RX was for fail over?

The antennas on the 6000 come out of the case, one across from each other... basically, one on each side. They don't seem to provide the shadowing benefit of being turned 90° to each other... like you would have when mounting the satelitte RX on a 6200 or 7000 90° to the main RX.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So if I remember the info...the DX7 can be used with the 6000 rx , right?

If it it can, and it's better I guess that would be the one to buy for the parkfliers?

Or is it not compatible?

I finally bought the first one up with dual rx, just for the piece of mind...I would like to give my heli every chance for survival I can. when I went to metal haed on my ECO 8 ther was so much noise generated I couldn't fly it until I put a PCM rcvr in it...Hitec replaced my Optic 6 TX and didn't help.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
So if I remember the info...the DX7 can be used with the 6000 rx , right?

If it it can, and it's better I guess that would be the one to buy for the parkfliers?
Yes, I have 2 AR600s on my TRex-450 SE v1, a Diablo RCT-450, 1 AR6100 on the TRex SE V2 and AR-6200 on the Hurricane.

I flew over 1100 flights last year among the 4 birds and experienced 0 radio interference Only dumb thumbs and practicing new maneuvers killed my helis thus far ...

Cheers,

Dan
ke6d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the input on this.Hey Bstock,the antennas on my AR6000 are 90deg coming out of the case.The way I have it mounted is in the lower rear tray
with 1 ant sticking out from the side of the heli through the opening in the frame and the second ant. coming directly out the back of the frame.I thought this arrangment would be best?

Mark Smith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reciever.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	35957  
Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6d View Post
Yes, I have 2 AR600s on my TRex-450 SE v1, a Diablo RCT-450, 1 AR6100 on the TRex SE V2 and AR-6200 on the Hurricane.

I flew over 1100 flights last year among the 4 birds and experienced 0 radio interference Only dumb thumbs and practicing new maneuvers killed my helis thus far ...

Cheers,

Dan
Dan...

Thanks..thats good to hear about the performance of all the rx. I had so many problems at our field on 72 mhz...there were several frq that were unflyable. i had to get an Optic 6 so i could switch freqs and find a good one.

The Dx7 looks to be a good answer for the problem.
\

Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mark - that looks great. I think you are going to be just fine with it there.

Dan - my apologies... after looking at Mark's photo... I went and took a fresh look at mine in the T450 (been awhile)... and the antennas are at a 90° on it.

1100 flights in a year... how cool is that!!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

DualLink - Is Spektrum's name for using two logical channels at all times with all Tx/Rx combinations.

AR6000 = two Rx, each allocated to one channel => 2 copies of each frame
AR6100 = one Rx, receives on both channels => 2 copies of each frame
AR6200 = two Rx, each receives on both channels => 4 copies of each frame
AR7000 = three Rx, all receive on both channels => 6 copies of each frame
AR9000 = up to four Rx, all receive on both channels => up to 8 copies of each frame

Note that there is not really a "backup" channel. Both channels are used all the time and the Rx controller makes use of the first good frame it gets from any receiver.

These systems provide several kinds of redundancy in order to maximise the probability of a frame getting through from Tx to Rx. They all support DualLink which is channel/frequency redundancy.

The AR6100 provides just channel/frequency redundancy and is definitely a ParkFlyer/400-450 heli Rx.

The AR6000 is more robust as it provides Rx and antenna and some spatial redundancy.

The AR6200/7000/9000 go further by providing improved antenna and spatial redundancy due to the wider separation of the satellite Rx from the main Rx.

I wouldn't fly an AR6100 in an H550 but I will be flying an AR6000 in mine I had around 150 flights on my Logo10 with an AR6000 with never a hint of trouble.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Ar6100

Kenneth, Thanks for the info on the receivers! It's good to know that the 6100 will be just fine in the 550. I've flown it in close quarters and so far so good!

Mark Smith
Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Smith View Post
Kenneth, Thanks for the info on the receivers! It's good to know that the 6100 will be just fine in the 550. I've flown it in close quarters and so far so good!

Mark Smith
Umm, I said:
Quote:
wouldn't fly an AR6100 in an H550 but I will be flying an AR6000 in mine
The AR6100 might be OK but I would recommend an AR6200 or AR7000 for maximum confidence. If you are flying a DX6 then I believe that an AR6000 will be fine.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Oooopppps!

Sorry Kenneth,my bad You did say the 6000 would be ok and that is in fact what i'm flying now.Last night I installed the lightweight paddles and hovered around tonight and they really snap up the cyclic!.Of course under the street light you cant just whip it around! The more time I get on this the more I like it.

Mark Smith
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in