Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my NHP's at 1750 rpm and my Cuatro is quite...........agile

Autos are good and if I want to practice scale flying, 1350 on the head makes for a good simulator for a heavy scale bird.
Peter Wales is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wales View Post
I run my NHP's at 1750 rpm and my Cuatro is quite...........agile
Hey,

Now thats a head speed on 800's! Mind you the Cuatro is built like a tank! Big, chunky parts.
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to admit, I wont flick it into idle up 2 (1750 rpm) until its way up high as it scares the poop out of me

Fortunately the SPH5 spools it up nice and easy so there is no dramatic instant change in rpm and once you get used to it, it seems quite normal
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive just changed my blades i had the vario 422 on my acrobat turbine but they had some chips in them and have seen better days so there on the shelf untill as a back up pair. i had a choice of either the V blades or the MAH 810 and decided to go with MAH they came very well balanced and with matching c.o.g. infact i didnt have to alter anything except the tracking. one point i will make is im glad i didnt go with the V blades because an all black blade is harder to see than a white one. luckily the MAH have white tips.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wales View Post
I have to admit, I wont flick it into idle up 2 (1750 rpm) until its way up high as it scares the poop out of me

Fortunately the SPH5 spools it up nice and easy so there is no dramatic instant change in rpm and once you get used to it, it seems quite normal
Hey Peter,

I'm not surprised mate, I've not even got the balls to rev my 800 head at 1750 intentionally ;-)
Bet it sounds good though and the model must feel really locked in, due to the disk being so large .
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Daz
the Mah blades are far superior to vario ones, i found on my hotcat i had to come down on my pitch curve cos they were more efficient. I was taking off into hover at mid stick on the Vario blades, i kept the pitch curve the same and added the MAH, i was now lifting at just over 1/4 stick

i really like them, i put a set of 850 on my other machine, WOW, is all i can say... they Auto lovely as well...

Glad you are up and flying.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Jenner; 12-08-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Matt Jenner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad a couple of people have tried the NHP Maybe mid-summer when I get a few hours on it I can try one of the more popular sets like Mah or V-blade. (leaning towards v-blade since I can get them from the US). But for the first few months the NHP should be fine for my skill level and expectations. Unless I hit a tree of course

But seriously, from what I read the NHP are "OK"? But don't stand up to the others? For what reasons? Just curious. I don't think I would notice as much.

Wren54 & Trex744
DDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

I flew NHps 710's and 600's,

i thought they were ok for the hover but showed thier limitations when doing aero's, they flexed a lot more. admittedly i was performing precise aero's in the FAI comps,

there was also not so long ago a few photo's flying around on runryder of bolts holes that started to break free from the root, obviosuly this can be down to a number of things other than manufacturer quality control, ie - wrong head speed, no shim in the grips etc and pilot poor setup, but since then the NHP have been knocked for their quality.

I changed cos i did not like the black blade i prefer a white disc it makes doing stall turns so much easier and rolling into a split S cos i could see what the machine was doing, once the sun hit those black blades they seemed to disapear... which in a comp setting was off putting...

Matt
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

pbmdazza, How doe's the Acrobat auto with the mah810s? I am going to get a set for mine. The stock blades are a bit to flexible I think, what doe's your Acro weigh? Craig B
heliman53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

that would be a hard question to answer as i havnt autoed this one yet as im still fine tuning the pitch

as for the weight i havnt weighed the overall weight but as i was building it i found that all the components weighed near enough the same as the gasser version it worked out like this
g26 with eletric starter and battery = the same weight as wren turbine with second stage and gear box and solinoid valves ect

gv1 govenor and throttle servo= same weight as the wren ecu (wren ecu weighed less)

vario frames are a little lighter than the hobbyparts frames (due to size) however no clutch bell required so evened itself out.

the only extra weight is the all carbon fibre canopy form hobby parts (very strong and thick)
and the extra amount of fuel that needs to be carried.
(ps the canopy left plane white with the carbon fibre screen looks brilliant as it matches the blades)

the only down sides are that i have the vario metal grips and vario blades where very tight in the grips but the mah are loose (i need to add a washer but none will fit as there to big i have to grind them down) i also didnt get any bushes in the pack so had to make a couple useing some brass tube.
apart from that i find it keeps a very steady speed of 1590 well recomended
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Are the MAH blades narrower chord than say the V blades? I ask because I've got a set of MAH 600s on one of my Trex 600Es and they're much narrower than the Radix blades on the other 600E. They're kind of "mushy" as well and don't "pop" as well as the Radix...

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wouldnt know as ive never used v blades .
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Daz, I have the metal grips as well but blades fit well, probably thickness of the blades vary somewhat. My machine autos ok but a little more hang time would be nice, I am hoping the Mah baldes will improve that the are 10mm longer and the average cord is greater so they should be better. Craig B
heliman53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Stacks of 'hang time on the MAH G2 blades, infact you can land and take off again. :-)
Bell Bloke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lord it's getting a bit deep in here, I need my wellies.

I can do an auto with my NHP's, land and leave it for 10 minutes with the engine off and then still have enough energy to take off, do 3 1/2 flips and land inverted
Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #36 (permalink)

Peter Wales,

To be fair, you are spinning your 800 blades well above what is considerd a normal speed, so you are gonna be able to do circuits at the bottom of an auto...

I would love to see 800 being spun at 1750, that must make one hell of a sound!

I would hate to work out how close to the limit that is... you must be pulling 400 kilo....if not more

Man you have some balls! and a wallett you could beat whales to death with.

Matt
Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I can do an auto with my NHP's, land and leave it for 10 minutes with the engine off and then still have enough energy to take off, do 3 1/2 flips and land inverted
Video, PLEASE!! LOL!!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #38 (permalink)

Yeh that may be so but my blades are so good that I don't even have to start my engine. Which means that in the long run MAH blades work out alot cheaper because one uses little, if any fuel. Beat That!
Bell Bloke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #39 (permalink)

LOL

I wonder where this one will finish LOL

Matt
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You guys are killing me. But lets bring this thread back to the original thought...

So at what head-speed should a pair of 800-810mm be spinning at in a hover?

Wren54 & Trex744
DDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in