Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > King II/III/IV and CP 2/3

King II/III/IV and CP 2/3 E-Sky King 2, 3, 4 plus CP 2 & 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tail Control Question

I got back into flying my Honey Bee King 2 about a week ago. Apparently this thing is now getting ancient for a helicopter. Since it's what I currently have, I would like to learn the basics on it before upgrading. So everything on the heli is stock (stock Tx, stock rate gyro, etc.) except for the motor. I swapped in a brushless motor and ESC.

I've been learning tail in hovering and getting it down. I've got to the point where I don't feel like I'm in fear of crashing it and have some control. The thing I have noticed is that when I first start the battery pack, it wants to turn the nose left if there's no input. As I hover and the battery drains it changes and wants to turn the nose right. At the end of the pack, the nose pushes like it was in the beginning but in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know what could cause this issue? I don't think I can adjust trim or tail servo location because it's not a constant issue in one direction. My only other thought is that maybe it's an issue w/ the stock rate gyro. I've heard that with Head Holding gyro's you increase the gain until there's tail wag and then back off a little. How do you properly set up the gain on a rate gyro?

Any ideas on my issue?
Official_n00b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the forum! Kings are great to learn on, and you will pretty much run into everything keeping them flying.

It sounds like you might need a bit more gain on the gyro, that may help. The switching direction of the tail is probably just the head speed changing with the battery voltage. You can adjust your hover pitch / throttle on the transmitter to compensate. Less pitch will allow more RPM, so move the knob toward negative. Also, King 2's need a little help on tail power, so some people use the 43 tooth pulley or put 450 tail blades on. Also, a HH gyro will help. A G401B or HK401B or GY48V all will work with the stock transmitter, work pretty well and are inexpensive.

BTW, the setup on your tail sounds pretty close. But for reference, the slider should be closer to the boom than the tail blade side at about 1/3 of the way when the rudder is centered.

Enjoy,

Terry
exblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

its not you, its the king gyro...i had the very same problem on my king 3...till i fitted a gy401 then the tail held superb...
that is about the best you will get from that gyro
chris
chrismechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in