Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Plastic gears & FBL

Can the stock plastic gears in the ds510's on the trex 500 handle the extra fbl stress?

i lost my right alaron servo in flight because the gears striped. not sure if it was a fluke, or just to much load on the gears. it caused me too crash - very frustrating losing new parts to stupid mechanical failure.

Thanks
blzkrg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Been flying FBL with plastic gears for 18 months, no issues in flight...

The specs on the metal and plastic geared DS510s is the same, the only difference is the gears themselves
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Same here. They've worked fine for me with 300+ FBL flights so far.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm having trouble seeing how they should strip in flight,. Maybe there was an incident on the ground or in transit that damaged the servo, but didn't show up until you were flying
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure either how someone can confirm a servo "stripped in flight" since it's way more likely that it stripped because it crashed.
Chafed wires, loose plug at the rx or fbl unit, etc would be more likely to cause a crash.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blzkrg View Post
Can the stock plastic gears in the ds510's on the trex 500 handle the extra fbl stress?

i lost my right alaron servo in flight because the gears striped. not sure if it was a fluke, or just to much load on the gears. it caused me too crash - very frustrating losing new parts to stupid mechanical failure.

Thanks
The 510s with plastic gears work just fine with FBL setups. Can’t imagine that a 510 plastic gear will strip in flight unless it took a prior knock somewhere. Quite a few of us have been flying them hard for years on various FBL units without incident.
The only downside to plastic gears is that they break in crashes, but after replacing a few it gets a lot easier and is quick to do.
Heli G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli G View Post
The 510s with plastic gears work just fine with FBL setups. Can’t imagine that a 510 plastic gear will strip in flight unless it took a prior knock somewhere. Quite a few of us have been flying them hard for years on various FBL units without incident.
The only downside to plastic gears is that they break in crashes, but after replacing a few it gets a lot easier and is quick to do.
something has to break, if you go to metal gears then something else will break in a crash, typically something more expensive than servo gears
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet View Post
something has to break, if you go to metal gears then something else will break in a crash, typically something more expensive than servo gears
Did I suggest metal gears?
Heli G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am suggesting metal gears! Just to get rid of the PITA plastic 510 gears that strip if you look at them wrong. NEVER had an issue stripping in flight, but 9 out of 10 times all 3 would strip in even the most minor crashes. The final straw or me was when I toook my 500 out for the first time after rebuilding all 3 servos and a gust of wind knocked it off my table and stripped all 3 gear sets. The metal gearsets just happened to be avaliable shortly after and for me is the best option.

As far as the "something has gotta break" theory that is why I am a firm beliver in metal gears plastic HD plastic horns. Much easier replacing a servo horn over gearsets.

But as far as the OP's question, never had an inflight stripping problem. And as others suggested if you didnt have some extreme binding I doubt that was the cause of your crash.
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in