Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
mamartin
Registered Users

Default Heading hold vs. Rate mode gain setting??? Need help please

Can someone please explain to me what the gain values do in heading hold and rate mode? I have what I think is an understanding of heading hold gain adjustment but I really don't understand it when using rate mode.
To my understanding when a heli is setup you use rate mode to optimize the tail gyros mechanical setup but once you have the tail rotor all dialed in mechanically do that it will hold a hover without the tail drifting what purpose is the gain going to do once that is done?
I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question but I tried looking for an explanation and was unsuccessful so I'm hoping one of you folks could help me out.
Thanks for any help

GAUI X5fes, iKON, Edge blades, CC 20amp BEC pro,
Align 600Npro, iKON, OS55HZ, Funkey B320 3D pipe, Radix Blades, Twin Align TREX 700N DFC YS91srx(Tareq edition) iKON, EDGE blades, iKON,TREX450L DOMINATOR iKON, KDE450XF
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
DannyvG
Registered Users

simply put. In HH the gain determines how much effort the gyro gives to hold the orientation.
In RM the gain determines how much effort the gyro gives to hold the rotational speed.
So with RM center stick is 0degree/sec and x stick deflection will give y requested rotational speed and the gyro will try to meet that demand. It depends on the gain how hard it is trying.
DannyvG is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
mamartin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for replying but I'm still confused as far as how to set the gain value when it rate mode? When in rate mode what type of test do you perform or what is it that you are looking for to determine wether or not you need to adjust the gain?
Right now I'm working on my X5 and I followed some very helpful advice from a few other folks here on the forum as far as setting the tail up mechanically. I can now hover in rate mode completely hands free and it sits there real pretty like, it's really nice. I have a DX7se that I'm using the gear channel on for my HH and RM and as far as RM goes its gain is set at -50. It seams good but it is just being hovered rite now. What do I need to do to verify that it's set electronically correct before I move on to the HH setup?

Align 600Npro, iKON, OS55HZ, Funkey B320 3D pipe, Radix Blades, Twin Align TREX 700N DFC YS91srx(Tareq edition) iKON, EDGE blades, iKON,TREX450L DOMINATOR iKON, KDE450XF
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
maddog57
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Mamartin, if your heli is hovering in RM w/o having to use stick input and there is no drift, then I wouldn't worry about it anymore cuz you've done a great job with your set-up. With Heading Hold gyros, RM is basically only used for setting things up and your setting of -50 should be fine. Most people fly in HH. Mine is set to -40 in rate and +68 in HH using a DX6i tx. When you go into HH, you could start at like +60 or so and keep raising the setting a little at a time til the tail starts to wag, then lower it til it stops. Hope this helps.

Chris
maddog57 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
sfaust
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog57 View Post
...When you go into HH, you could start at like +60 or so and keep raising the setting a little at a time til the tail starts to wag, then lower it til it stops. Hope this helps.

Chris
You would do the same in rate mode to set the gain. Fly some fast circuits and watch for tail wagging. Keep increasing the rate until you see the wag, then back off the gain until its gone, and you'll be at a good max gain value. Rate mode is also used as the primary mode by many scale pilots rather than heading hold mode for a more realistic flight presentation.
sfaust is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Scroll down a bit and watch Finless Bobs videos that relate

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
mamartin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Scroll down a bit and watch Finless Bobs videos that relate

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Thank you. I tried finding something like that before I posted but was unsuccessful.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
fenderstrat
Registered Users

there's really no reason to worry about finding your optimum gain in RM unless you plan of flying in rate.Since most dont,you can do what you have done,namely,use a setting that holds the tail well enough for hover,do your mechanical set up,switch to HH adjust HH gain and go fly.

on the subject of HH gain, I set mine different than most.Many set the gain as high as it will go without wagging.I find this is unnecessary with a proper mechanical set up and puts un needed stress on the servo,and tends to make the tail stiff and bouncy on stops.
I prefer to set the gain as low as possible that holds the tail for my style of flying.I have found you can lower the gain considerably from the "just below wagging"point and still have great hold,especially if you are a sport flyer or doing beginning 3d.you can always raise the gain as your demands on the tail increase.

just throwing out my personal set up method.setting the gain as high as possible is fine and most do it this way
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please