Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450X Vibrations

Hey folks,

I am having some random vibrations on the 450X. It happens at IDLE2 where I have %100 TC and when the heli starts to vibrate the BX seams to amplify the vibration making it uncontrollable. If I drop it down to IDLE1 at %70 TC, then it is vastly diminished however still there.

The funny thing is that it does not always do it. In hopes that it was mechanical, I changed out the main grips but that was not it. I have played around with various blade tightness and I coul not see a relation. Also I make sure to initialize the BX perfectly still and the BX settings are the factory ones. the fact that it does not always do it is driving me crazy. Sometimes I can spool up and get it perfectly steady and vibration free but other times, even on the same flight after landing and taking off again, the heli wants to shake it self to pieces...

My next experiment will be to change out the dampeners but I am running out of ideas.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Burc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I assume you have balanced your blades?

Dampers would be good to check if you have a lot of time on the heli.

Check the main shaft bearings for play by trying to "wiggle" the main shaft.

If the vibrations result in a pitching motion, it could be coming from your tail. So check the belt tension, tailblade grips, bearings etc.

Did it start this after a crash/rebuild?
RocketDog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

These things are rpm sensitive.

Since you fly at a 100% constant throttle, your rpm will drop over a flight. Your rpm will vary even over a maneuver as you load the motor up. When you hit the magic rpm, then you get the "wobbles".

Slop in a heli will be taken out under positive or negative loads, but when the load begins to drop, the setup will be a bit sloppier, and under these conditions, and at particular rpms, you can get into a negative feedback situation in which the BEastX corrections are almost exactly out of phase with what is needed.

Trying to tighten things up, or to change the rpms (difficult to do without a governor to try and hold a particular rpm throughout the flight) are typical solutions.

Reducing some of the cyclic gain on the BeastX might help a little.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So the only slop that I have is in the main grips. When I removed and inspected the feathering shaft, there seems to be a very slight gap that allows the main thrust bearings to move back and forth but it is less than 1mm or the size of a very small spacer. This translates to some play in the main grips. Not sure if this one was a fluke but I will try out another feathering shaft as well. Anyone have excessive play on their main grips as described?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Obvious question; did you put the brass step-washers back on between the grips and head when you put the new ones in, and in the right orientation? Seems like both of those would add up to around the same gap you're talking about. Manual also talks about a pair of silver washers there as well, but I didn't have any on mine.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, the order is, brass washer, two main bearings, a small large OD and large ID silver washer, the thrust bearing and the washer and bolt that holds it in... So you guys dont have any play in the main grips? I was not sure if this was supposed to be there in this design.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

None at all here. Lifting it by the blades, the grips will shift up/down slightly, but there's no ability at all to slide the grips along the feathering shaft. Sure both screws at the ends are screwed in fully/not cross-threaded?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My grips have plenty of play up and down, left and right and if I force it in and out. I can see the blades go in and out of tracking as I fly with this much slop. Funny thing is when it starts to vibrate as I described, I can eliminate it for a short while if I pump the pitch.

I have had this behavior out of the box and have upgraded the heli part by part to the alm components but none have seemed to be the cause. Belt is ok, bearings are ok, the only thing is the slop in the head which I suspect is the cause.

Anyway, I will change the f.shaft, t.bearings, dampeners and try it again. I am aiming for zero slop in the head which I assume you all have out of the box.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

Can you take a video of you moving it?
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same issue and can't get rid of it. I've tried everything and don't have much play in the grips or the head at all. This problem only happens in idle 1 or 2. I love flying this heli and but I'm afraid she's gunna blow.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found that out of the 4 thrust bearing holders, one is very loose on the spindle. The ID of the bearing is not identical to the other three. I have new bearings on order to get rid of the slop in hopes that it will reduce the mechanical issue and I can tame it down any further shakes from the cyclic gain on the BX.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try turning down Pot-1 a bit. If the problem goes away then the gains were a bit high or your heli has some vibes in it. Once this is done you mihgt need to turn Pot-2 up a bit to get the cyclic response back to the way that it was.

Hope this helps....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burc View Post
I found that out of the 4 thrust bearing holders, one is very loose on the spindle. The ID of the bearing is not identical to the other three. I have new bearings on order to get rid of the slop in hopes that it will reduce the mechanical issue and I can tame it down any further shakes from the cyclic gain on the BX.
If you watch the feathering shaft replacement video, you'll note that two of the blade grip thrust bearing races have almost-imperceptibly smaller IDs (the outer races). If you put the outer race on the inside, it would not seat on the feathering shaft fully (as the race-seat has a matching slight bevel), likely leading to the slop you describe (and possibly throwing a grip!). The inner race should *easily* slide all the way down the 'step' on the end of the feathering shaft and butt up against the 'shoulder'.

Actually, what I did when replacing my feathering shaft was this: assemble one thrust bearing complete on the feathering shaft, put the screw in as tight as I could get it just with a driver and my fingers on the shaft, then slide it through that grip. Then assemble the other thrust bearing/grip as described in the video, making sure the race with the larger ID through-hole went on first, and cinch the whole thing down.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burc View Post
The Thrust bearing diameters are differnt from inner to outer race. For each side the large inner diameter should go in the grip first, the race with balls should go in next with the flat side facing out, and the small inner diameter race should go in last. You can figure out which one is large and which one is small by rocking them on the feathering shaft.

Hope this helps....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update on my situation. I found that out of the four TB races I only had one large ID race on my thrust bearings as opposed to having one on each side. After changing out to a new set of thrust bearings and going back to the plastic grips which seem to have less play in them, my vibration issues have been eliminated. Now I can go back to enjoying the 450X...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beautiful. That's what I'll do then, are the thrust bearings compatible with the 450 3d? Otherwise I'll have to order some in as the hobby shop does not stock 450x parts

Edit: Forget that question I realize what I have said. Lol thrust bearings on order
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I think they are identical, part number BLH1620

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in