Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Problem with new Flymentor device

I just came back from vacation on Friday and installed the KDS Flymentor 3D on to my new HK450 which I am building for my father. It is configured with an Orange RX 6 channel RX that is bound to his Spektrum DX6i. I managed to configure the FM sufficiently enough to get it to lift off yesterday, but discovered that after a couple of seconds, and despite my input from the TX, it wanted to send the helicopter into a slow right yaw, and left cyclic bank. Tired, I decided to leave it for this morning to go back and calibrate. This morning, after reading more of the hundreds of messages on this thread, I thought I adjusted the sensitivity DOWN, and changed the center point of the tail servo to counter the rotation, and also adjusted the "aileron" a little as well. Each time I make a change to the overall configuration, I save the file with a separate name so I can always revert back to an earlier configuration if need be. Well, after making the changes, I found that the servos became extremely twitchy even without TX input (almost after two seconds of powering up). I also noticed that the ESC is getting hot and I have unplugged the ground and one of the two phase inputs to the motor.

When I reverted to the previous setting, the twitching continued. I reset to factory settings, and the twitching stopped. However, when I reloaded any of the previously working config files, the twitching returned. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening??? Also, why is my Orange RX blinking wildly? I don't remember it doing that before...

Here is a very short video that shows the twitching.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpLfaptU-E[/ame]
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

UPDATE: I disconnected the FM and found that the servos continue twitching when directly connected to the Orange RX. I decided to try and re-bind to the TX and found that it will no longer bind to either HIS DX6i or my DX7. Problem solved... defective Orange RX. Damn... I just ordered a satellite receiver unit for it.... I guess I have to consider giving HK a call and trying to get this one replaced under warranty (do they even HAVE one?)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be aware that right yaw and back is a sympton of exesive vibration.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. Agreed that excessive vibration will cause flutter, but after I completely removed the FM, the twitching continued (no gyros, no FM, nothing). This is a defective RX issue.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisflyer View Post
Thanks for the reply. Agreed that excessive vibration will cause flutter, but after I completely removed the FM, the twitching continued (no gyros, no FM, nothing). This is a defective RX issue.
Yes, but Ivor is correctly assuming that the abnormal right hand hand bank when using flymentor symbolizes a serious vibration issue on top of your servo/ orange Rx issues. Whenever the flymentor gyro encounters serious vibrations it wants to hard right down your heli's rotating disc. Adjusting its gain values doesn't solve the problem. Just something to be aware of.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey
try with another rx, your stock one, sometimes one servo causes power shortages, or try each servo at a time, i experienced this with my brothers heli, no fm, turn out one servo is shorting the system, i dont thing an rx can cause power drains and fluctuation like that, also try binding without servos attached!
servos are loads on your system, the rx does not have the ability to make power flutuations like that!
james
jbx907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx907 View Post
hey
try with another rx, your stock one, sometimes one servo causes power shortages, or try each servo at a time, i experienced this with my brothers heli, no fm, turn out one servo is shorting the system, i dont thing an rx can cause power drains and fluctuation like that, also try binding without servos attached!
servos are loads on your system, the rx does not have the ability to make power flutuations like that!
james
Recently my Flymentor arrived. Swashplate stabilization works perfectly, but the tail servo to the gyro does not respond at all, even on the radio. I have the DX6i radio. I tested with anolog and digital servos. I also changed the position in the helibal and the tail servo moved. But does not respondo to de radio control nor FM giro. Has anyone had a similar problem? Please Help
fabiocrucilloramos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiocrucilloramos View Post
Recently my Flymentor arrived. Swashplate stabilization works perfectly, but the tail servo to the gyro does not respond at all, even on the radio. I have the DX6i radio. I tested with anolog and digital servos. I also changed the position in the helibal and the tail servo moved. But does not respondo to de radio control nor FM giro. Has anyone had a similar problem? Please Help
ok try checking you servo connection, the rudder servo is supposed to be connected on the last top number 5 on the FM, try putting the rudder plug on a diffrent channel you know just for test only, any stick will do. if it doesn't move, directly connect your rudder servo to the rx!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

seeing the video, once initialized it s already twitching.. test your bec output voltage, for drops, the blinking on your rx must be rebooting the rx thats why it doesn't stay steady... remove all your servos and see if rx light steadies out and start with each servo by plugging a servo one at a time! of course you still need to monitor you voltage..
i hope your rx and fm are fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

the blinking on the rx is irregular, like rebooting! definitly voltage fluctuations!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

remove all the servos and check each servo one by one!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

JBX,

You were absolutely correct! I remove all of the servos and bound the tx/rx. Lights on the the rx were steady. Added one servo at a time, until it went nuts with the tail servo. I removed all but the one tail servo and it did the same. Tested on another rx with the same results. So now I have to determine if the servo was just bad or if the FlyMentor killed it.

from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe the servo is bad, the FM is only a controller, it wouldn't kill a servo cause it does not have compatibily outputs 1520uS/333Hz, 1520uS/250Hz, 1520uS/167Hz and 760uS/333Hz pulse frame width for digital servos that burn analog servos! try finding what servo is causing this, better if you have a servo tester!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisflyer View Post
JBX,

You were absolutely correct! I remove all of the servos and bound the tx/rx. Lights on the the rx were steady. Added one servo at a time, until it went nuts with the tail servo. I removed all but the one tail servo and it did the same. Tested on another rx with the same results. So now I have to determine if the servo was just bad or if the FlyMentor killed it.

from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
so your tail servo is causing it... i hope you tail servo is not expensive! your getting lucky now the rx and fm are ok!
i hope you get it running in no time!
james
Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

if your using a separate gyro for tail, you can also chech the gyros setting, try turning of DS mode!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

one more thing monitor again your esc.. you mentioned it was getting hot, it might have been damaged too by a bad servo! im not really sure but when you remove the twitch, check your esc temp!
its 2am, i read your update tomorro!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

James, thank you so much for all of the input. The tail servo is not terribly expensive. It's an HK Digital Metal Gear servo (HK28012DMG) that costs $23 each. I will be sure to check the ESC temperature. This last time that I checked and confirmed that it was the tail servo, I didn't even have the FM connected... all the servos were going straight to the RX, so I cannot say that I have completely ruled out the FM itself. However, once I replace the tail servo, I should be able to proceed to the next set of tests. One variable at a time... Thank you again, James!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

im very glad to have helped...
hope your father gets to fly it soon!
regards james

Tags
flymentor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in