Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
CG is off a bit, tail heavy
Has anyone tried a bigger battery in there, maybe 5000 mAh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapr1 View Post
I placed the foam material from what I can see in the Instruction Manual pic.. Not sure if it's correct....
Outdoor maiden test hover yesterday... vibrations from the horizontal stabilizer fin area made it a quick test. Maybe the foam material needs to go back (aft) further inside the fuselage (past the horiz fin), so that's what I did. Don't forget the reason for the foam is "damping".

Had almost no tail wag and I think this is due to what a few other Freaks mentioned about the tail case needs to be tightened just right and the blades snug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1351.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	408199   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1352.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	408200  
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your vibration problem.

THE PICTURES IN THE MANUAL ARE A JOKE. WAY TOO DARK TO BE OF MUCH USE.

Hey Mr. Dribbe,

How about someone at least fix the pictures of the online manual? Or maybe a nice installation video? It surely would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Wavekatcher
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Foam damp material was placed as pictured in the Instruction Manual... The online pdf clearly shows how to install (contrast/brightness adj on monitor makes it easier to view).

More fuselage damping can't hurt, right? That's why it was extended further aft.

But maybe something else is causing the vibrations. I did hover the heli before body install and all I noticed was a small tail wag. And removal and re-install of the tail section is required and anything could be possible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoamDamp.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	408217  
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The foam in the manual looks to be wider than what you have installed. I would guess the more foam dampening the better, as long as there is no binding of the rudder servo, etc.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unboxed my new fuselage.

Nice, but not perfect. I have a big black paint run on top of the tail boom. Not too noticeable to an untrained eye. It kind of looks like just another rivet, albeit a big rivet.

Also, on my port side wing, I have some silver where there should only be black.

I am happy overall for the price point Blade is selling these at. Not to mention the price I paid
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
The foam in the manual looks to be wider than what you have installed. I would guess the more foam dampening the better, as long as there is no binding of the rudder servo, etc.
Good catch.. Guess I'll be adding more today. I was a bit concerned about the servo mechs binding, but it seems ok!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks to all for all the imformation and for posting pictures! Mine should be here in a few days! Thanks
gianntsllos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Outdoor maiden test hover yesterday... vibrations from the horizontal stabilizer fin area made it a quick test. Maybe the foam material needs to go back (aft) further inside the fuselage (past the horiz fin), so that's what I did. Don't forget the reason for the foam is "damping".

Had almost no tail wag and I think this is due to what a few other Freaks mentioned about the tail case needs to be tightened just right and the blades snug.
I installed a new set of tail rotor blades, did a quick test hover and the vibration is greatly reduced.

Last edited by Skapr1; 04-03-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianntsllos View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Very nice pictures! Now we want a flight video!!!!! Thanks again for posting!
This is my Maiden Flight Outdoor Hover Test Video ... First time with a 500 X and Body Set..

Blade 500 X and Bell 222 Body Set (1 min 54 sec)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice! now give it a local PD or news team paint sceam and slap a good PVP system on it and tell them how much your run cost are compared to full scale and jet fuel you will get the job.
Allen_H is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Second hover test with a higher resolution video. The (minimal) tail wag is there and it's ever so slight that I think I can live with it.

But major vibrations developed after cycling the elect retracts. Towards the end of the video I did land, spool down, waited a few secs and spooled up and the vibrations (shakes) was gone. I am open to suggestions as to what caused it and how to fix. HH is aware and hopefully they will get back to me in a few days!

Thanks for looking!

B 500X and Bell 222 Body (4 min 25 sec)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looks Great

Great flight, I also have my 500X in the 222 body and have had nothing but vibration problems. do you feel that the extra foam helped?
amodemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Second hover test with a higher resolution video. The (minimal) tail wag is there and it's ever so slight that I think I can live with it.

But major vibrations developed after cycling the elect retracts. Towards the end of the video I did land, spool down, waited a few secs and spooled up and the vibrations (shakes) was gone. I am open to suggestions as to what caused it and how to fix. HH is aware and hopefully they will get back to me in a few days!

Thanks for looking!
If I were you I would drop the pinon down to a 12t, maybe even 11t. Lower HS is going to make it more scale-like and may help quiet down the vibs/wobbles.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodemo View Post
Great flight, I also have my 500X in the 222 body and have had nothing but vibration problems. do you feel that the extra foam helped?
I can't really say for sure extra foam helped reduce the vibrations due to the fact that my major vibes did occur when cycling the retracts. I did raise and lower them quickly and that's when the vibes to the horiz stab fin area developed.

Gonna do another test hover. This time I plan on raising the retracts and leave them up for a bit before lowering them.

Amodemo, I'd like to see a video of your vibe probs. Also I am still waiting for someone from HH to get back to me on this issue.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HH advice

I talked with Horizon Hobby today and the person who designed the Blade 222 body was there (dumb luck). The info that I received was to follow the directions for the build and to be 100% that nothing but the plywood mounting plate was in contact with the body.
amodemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If I were you I would drop the pinon down to a 12t, maybe even 11t. Lower HS is going to make it more scale-like and may help quiet down the vibs/wobbles.

Cheers,
TomC
Thanks for the advice. I may in the future drop down to the 12t. For now I'd like to keep it "factory fresh" ..lol..!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I may in the future drop down to the 12t. For now I'd like to keep it "factory fresh" ..lol..!
Hard to tell from your pics but it looks like you are still using the stock plastic tail blades. If so I think you will find a big improvement in tail authority if you go to CF tail blades. I use and like Edge 72mm CF blades on the tail and really like them.

Just another thought. If you do end up trying lower, more scale-like headspeeds using a 11-12t pinion (and hence lower tail rotor rpm's) it might be a good idea to go to larger tail blades (~80-86mm). Looks like you have lots of ground clearance to do this and the larger dia tail will help steady that big draggy 222 fuz a bit better imho.

Thanks for all the great info on the 222 fuz install btw. Very good possibility I'll transform my 500x into my first 'Scalie' in the near future.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I did ask HH sales about the cf tail blades and was told "there's nothing listed in the parts"... Is this what I need: Edge 72mm SE Premium cf tail rotor blades RVCLE72SE?

Very much appreciate your input and yes you should consider transforming the 500x (is my first "Scalie" also)!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,

Just a heads up, we are working on some build videos for you on the Bell 222. Sean Sullivan is a little under the weather, but he will be doing the videos as soon as possible. Unfortunately the developers are leaving for a factory trip soon, so we may have to wait another couple of weeks before he is available to shoot these videos.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Bell 222 kits so far!
#1 By Design
Horizon Hobby
Spetrotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in