Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crashed my SR. Oops!!!!

Took the SR out today for the first time in about 3 weeks and things didn't go so well. Dumb thumbs took control and crashed it during a high speed loop. Guess it's time to rebuild. What are you gonna do. It happens. Rebuilding is part of the fun of the Hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What TX are you using for the SR?
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
What TX are you using for the SR?
Using a Turnigy 9x flashed with er9x software and with a Orx dsm2/dsmx module. It pretty nice for an inexpensive TX.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear....but good news is the tail section of the 230s I hear is a drop in replacement......;-)
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
Sorry to hear....but good news is the tail section of the 230s I hear is a drop in replacement......;-)
Cool. That's great! But what about the BL motor? Can we get a BL ESC to use on the SR so we can use the 230s tail motor? If so, how would I hook it up?

The BL 230s tail would be the next best thing to a belted tail on the SR. Would be pretty awesome if we could make it work.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla912000 View Post
Cool. That's great! But what about the BL motor? Can we get a BL ESC to use on the SR so we can use the 230s tail motor? If so, how would I hook it up?

The BL 230s tail would be the next best thing to a belted tail on the SR. Would be pretty awesome if we could make it work.
From what I understand (and the parts are listed as "in stock")
You use the ESC from the 230s, tail motor and components. The motor on it is the same (main motor) as the SR I am pretty sure. Uhh I was just thinking....the gyro would be the challenge....
Would probably need at least the same or an upgraded set of cyclic servo's also....dang the conversion would probably cost almost as much as just getting a BNF heli or close to it. If one could get a spartan Quark to work with it, that'd be great! Because it's a tiny gyro!
The thing would be getting the gyro to work with a BL motor since its a FB heli.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could you get a small brushless ESC or brushed to brushless signal converter and still use the stock SR ESC? If you would put the 230s ESC in the SR we couldn't use a gyro with it. There would be no plug for it and the tail motor plug probably wouldn't plug into a gyro. But, would we really need a gyro? Since the 230s is fbl, the ESC should have a rudder channel built in. Right? Is it a 3 in 1 like on the mCPX? Or am I just thinking to much in to it?
Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Could you get a small brushless ESC or brushed to brushless signal converter and still use the stock SR ESC? If you would put the 230s ESC in the SR we couldn't use a gyro with it. There would be no plug for it and the tail motor plug probably wouldn't plug into a gyro. But, would we really need a gyro? Since the 230s is fbl, the ESC should have a rudder channel built in. Right? Is it a 3 in 1 like on the mCPX? Or am I just thinking to much in to it?
I'm pretty sure that you'd need a gyro, because the controller on the 230S is for a FBL, and that is a specific setup for a FBL heli. The FB would be totally different control. That being said I don't think you could use the safe tech with it, because that is set in the FBL system thats on the 230S, I think the setup would be the SR stock receiver, 230s esc, tail components, but either the stock gyro or another would be required since it is still a FB heli.
My thinking on this conversion would be that it sets up pretty much like any other FB heli then where the rear servo would plug into the GYRO, the Gyro would then plug into the CH5/tail plugs like they do any other FB/gyro combo.....Hmm? but then there would need be a way to tie in the ESC huh? because that is what will be powering the tail motor....
We need a electrical dude I think to figure this theory LOL
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the question is; Can the SR's ESC handle the current draw of the new proposed tail rotor motor.
A comparison of specs for the SR's original tail rotor motor and the new proposed motor should answer some questions.
As far as hook up, it seems like it should be just like the original design.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
I think the question is; Can the SR's ESC handle the current draw of the new proposed tail rotor motor.
A comparison of specs for the SR's original tail rotor motor and the new proposed motor should answer some questions.
As far as hook up, it seems like it should be just like the original design.

The 230s uses a brushless tail motor while the SR uses brushed, so it would take a lot of magic to make the SR esc work. the 230s' esc should work though.

That said, I'm selling my mostly flying SR for cheap in the classified section....perfect for a rebuild!
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My apologies, didn't realize the 230 uses a brush-less motor.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
The 230s uses a brushless tail motor while the SR uses brushed, so it would take a lot of magic to make the SR esc work. the 230s' esc should work though.

That said, I'm selling my mostly flying SR for cheap in the classified section....perfect for a rebuild!
I eyed that, was thinking about it. I just demolished one of my 450's though, and am planning on getting a 230s, as well as converting an SR to brushless tail.
I need to replace the 450 though.....
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I eyed that, was thinking about it. I just demolished one of my 450's though, and am planning on getting a 230s, as well as converting an SR to brushless tail.
I need to replace the 450 though.....
Sucks to hear about the 450 but the 230s will be a nice addition to your fleet. I think that sometime before Christmas I will probably have one too. Kind of excited about it but for right now I'm really enjoying flying my 250. Turned out to be a pretty nice heli.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sucks to hear about the 450 but the 230s will be a nice addition to your fleet. I think that sometime before Christmas I will probably have one too. Kind of excited about it but for right now I'm really enjoying flying my 250. Turned out to be a pretty nice heli.
Those 250's are fun little heli's, I really enjoyed mine. Kinda miss it sometimes.
Yeah I pounded that 450 bad, the tail mount (plastic) broke and allowed the tail blades to rotate, it flipped fast, and I had throttle in it....just drove it smack into the ground before I knew what was happening. I think it's time for a 450 Pro DFC now!

Oh I found out more about the BL conversion also.
What we need is the ESC Tail and components, and thats it! The tail is controlled by the esc as with the SR, You'd just install the 230s complete tail assembly into the SR and replace the stock ESC with the 230s.
Myself I'd use a different and better gyro, like the Quark, but the stock gyro can be used also.
The only unknown is getting the tail dialed in and where and how to do that.
The cost is about $110.00 for the parts to convert it.

Oh I got the SR a little better toned down today, I upped my gain in the radio, and the tail was holding pretty good. It's still moving around a bit on me, but I knocked the DR&EXPO down to 95/23. I think the servo's because they are much better servos are just making it really twitchy. Although I have a pretty hefty drift to the rear on it for some reason, am going to crank the links down a bit in the front see if that helps, as soon as I lift off the thing wants to come toward me!
But today was a success! The tail motor was barely warm too after running a pack through it just hovering it and moving the tail around a bit! Thats a good sign, tells me the tail is pretty close on being dialed in right!.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's cool that you figured out the SR now. They are still fun to fly. Gotta start rebuilding nine but it is gonna take a bit of work. It hit the ground upside down. Think I might get the cnc aluminum head for it this time. But, at least the frame didn't crack. Need a new tail boom and 2 servos also.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's cool that you figured out the SR now. They are still fun to fly. Gotta start rebuilding nine but it is gonna take a bit of work. It hit the ground upside down. Think I might get the cnc aluminum head for it this time. But, at least the frame didn't crack. Need a new tail boom and 2 servos also.
Get ya some of those 8mm knitting needles, they are much stronger than those stock tail booms. Easy to trim one up to fit!
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Get ya some of those 8mm knitting needles, they are much stronger than those stock tail booms. Easy to trim one up to fit!
Ya know , I was thinking about that. I remember a good while ago you told me about those knitting needles but couldn't remember what size to get. I'm glad you reminded me. Plus I would like to have a red boom to match the red canopy. If I remember correctly, Blade only makes a blue tail boom for the SR, right? Thanks for reminding me. Definitely gonna switch to a red knitting needle.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ya know , I was thinking about that. I remember a good while ago you told me about those knitting needles but couldn't remember what size to get. I'm glad you reminded me. Plus I would like to have a red boom to match the red canopy. If I remember correctly, Blade only makes a blue tail boom for the SR, right? Thanks for reminding me. Definitely gonna switch to a red knitting needle.
Every seen one of those vinyl sign and graphic shops?

The have decal vinyl in every color you can imagine...including carbon fiber in umpty-twelveteen shades that peels off the backing paper and sticks like it's welded on
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have seen the red colored ones but they are usually order only. They really do hold up a lot better than the stock booms. I use a Dremel, to route out the little slots on the end that fits into the frame, you get two booms for around $5.00 or less, they are 8mm or I think a No.12-14 size knitting needle. They will not collapse with those sometimes spool up blade dings that you can sometimes get with the SR.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Every seen one of those vinyl sign and graphic shops?

The have decal vinyl in every color you can imagine...including carbon fiber in umpty-twelveteen shades that peels off the backing paper and sticks like it's welded on
That's a good idea, as long as it doesn't mess with the fragile weight and balance that the SR can have sometimes by being tail heavy.
500 Pro DFC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in