Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Prospective buyer

Good afternoon,

lately i've been thinking about changing the radio, mainly because of the integration of jeti and MSH brain. I know the option is not available, but i'd like to set up all my helis gradually before the option comes.

I was looking for the DC models because i'm a tray flyer, and i'm leaning towards the 14 version, just because i dont need the extra channels. When i was messing around in the jeti online shop, i came across the fact that you can actually choose which feature you want in. This is where it gets complicated for me.

Since i know nothing about what each feature gives you, i dont know what to choose or if i need any of those functions to begin. My understanding is that i should be able to configure my helis without any of the additional functions. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I've also read most parts of the manual, but since i'm a visual learner it's really hard for me to grasp what each function does.
zosek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The good new is you can add any options you want at any time.

Here are what I have found to be the most useful:

Flight Modes - up to 6. So TH, normal and 2 idle ups is 4 modes.
Gyro Settings - they can be used for some other things too, the versatility of a Jeti.
Telemetry analysis - if you plan to run any telemetry you will need this to view the data.
Voice Output - Why have such a nice radio without voice output?
Function Curves - required for heli's

The fun stuff:
Timer up to 6
Event Sounds up to 10 - I ran out quicker than I thought I would.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.

Last edited by fastflyer20; 07-11-2016 at 11:28 AM..
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great, thanks.

All of those seems great apart from telemetry, i'll have to wait with that, at least in the start.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's another DS/DC14 trick:

If you ever unlock more than $80 (or 80 Euro) of add ons in one go, you get $50 off...

So do them all at once, then pick any extras that might sound fun.

We use:
Telemetry as a switch... (For hard deck.)
Audio Player App... (For uploading and playing music.)
All that mentioned above, plus with FBL integration, I think you can set tail, cyclic (ele/ail) gyro rates also.

Grab what he recommended, make sure it's over $80 then apply the $50 off. (You'll either get your $80 upgrade for $30 or you'll get an extra $50 of bonus items you select.)

Accelerometers are cool too. Tilt to have it read different telemetry values... Not sure how well that may work on a tray though.

Ping the forum if you see options you don't understand.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, what they said. You can get going just fine without any options, but you get a $50 voucher towards your first large purchase.

If I were you I wouldn't rush into buying extras, just pick up the basic radio and spend some time getting used to it. Once you're familiar with the radio you'll soon get an idea of which upgrades sound good to you, and you can place an order for extras at any time.

For a heli pilot and a FBL with different banks the extra flight modes are often useful. The telemetry is great, and while the radio has voice feedback as standard, once you have telemetry the upgrade that lets it read back the actual values is excellent.

I personally don't have the telemetry analysis feature yet, I just use the telemetry alerts.

I'm actually just setting up a Jeti DS-14 at the moment with a new mini Brain2 that came with my Protos 380. If I spot anything that seems like it needs extras I'll let you know.

One extra thing I did buy for my Jeti was a push button momentary switch, I swapped one of the standard switches out for that and I'm planning on using it when I test out the Brain rescue.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if you are flying only electric helicopters but if you do, forget timers just go with the mAh consumed.
Once you start using it, timers become so "passé".

With mAh consumed, you will always land with your battery not too discharged but also using all that you can safely be used out of it, depending on the type of flying you want to do that day, without shortening the life of the battery.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking that I read somewhere that the DC-14 doesn't have accelerometers. Probably because you don't necessarily wrap hands around the tray to tilt it? Dan
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

All DC-XX being tray style and aimed at pinchers, do not have accelerometer.
I guess they figured since your hands are resting in top of the Tx you could not tilt the Tx easily, unless you use a lot of body english

You do get more switches on the DC compared to the DS, two more.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A lot of great info, thank you guys.
I still have a couple more questions though.

The manual states that the TX only operates down to -10°C, what happens sub -10? I'm usually not flying in those conditions, but if i ever get the urge, its nice to know that i can actually fly.

And about the RX's, i'm comming from futaba and all my helis were using the s-bus technology. Does jeti have anything like that, only 1 cable between FBL unit and the RX?
I've seen different signs for rx's, but i have no idea what each of them stand for.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, Jeti can communicate with a single cable using a number of different protocols depending on what your FBL requires (EX bus, PPM, UDI).

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeti uses UDi and PPM both one wire communication, one digital the other analog.
Most FBL can use it

As far as temperature some have to fly in colder temps and it works, have a look here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ghlight=winter

edit: forgot Sbus too, (fastflyer you are fast)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I had to chime in here as I have just done the exact same thing.

Just wanted to report back my initial findings on my Jeti DS14, which I purchased for heli and simple fixed wing use.

The 'essential' updates IMO are as follows (considering you get 50 Euros worth free when you spend 80 E).

Gyro Settings 12E
Secondary TX module 20E
Voice 25E

That is only 57E, you will need to add a few more to reach 80E

I feel 3 flight modes is enough, as you can set:
1.Normal
2.Idle 1
3.Idle 2

and program throttle cut on a different switch, this will mean that if you hit throttle hold you will have the same collective settings you had in the flight mode you was currently flying (I can't see a disadvantage to this?).

Extra flightmodes (6) cost 25E for those who want them.

57E + 25E = 82E and for this you get everything I wanted.

(Function curves are not needed as you get 9 point throttle and pitch curves included).
GadgetMart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think i'll have to take the additional flight modes, just because i like to experiment with different head speeds.

About the secondary TX module, why would i need it?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosek View Post
I think i'll have to take the additional flight modes, just because i like to experiment with different head speeds.

You don't need it.
Those are the essential upgrades I chose, you are free to add what you want to yours.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosek View Post

Yes, I think the additional flight modes are good as you can use the throttle cut on a safety switch and have a hold flight mode as well as your 3 (or more) headspeed modes.

The Tx module is needed for wireless Buddybox and does give a secondary control path but as Helis don't fly that far away and the Tx is reliable you don't really need it. If you were flying giant scale, turbines, or similar it would be worthwhile just for piece of mind.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm gonna say this:

Buy the DS14. DON'T UPGRADE IT!!!

Use it a lot in say the first month, and see what you need or feel is missing.

Then log in and buy those upgrades, get your extra $50 off, and enjoy your perfectly hand crafted TX.

That gives you time to articulate what you want that is missing (here or on other forums) and validate the right unlocks for you.

1 vs 3 gyros? - Helis only usually have one. The tail...
3 flight modes are fine... OOPS!! Wait a minute... One of them is Throttle Hold.... Unless you do TH as a free mix. (So you're indeed fine here too.)

There's a ton you can do, and ideally you fly your Jeti, decide what you want, then unlock it in one swoop.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

If at all possible, I would try to hold and manipulate the sticks on "THE" transmitter you are thinking about buying. There is a chance you might end up with one of the transmitters that have an out of round throttle gimbal like mine did.

From what I have heard, it is a crap shoot as to weather you get the incorrectly machined stick mechanism but it can be very disappointing if you do and it just might steer you away from Jeti.

Here is a link to a discussion regarding the matter.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=748331

Cheers,

Sawacs
sawacs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have tried a DS16 (returned it because the throttle stick felt awful).
I didn't realise the issue at the time.
I now have a brand new DS14 with same out of round sticking throttle issue.
I can't over emphasise how bad this makes your brand new transmitter feel.
I feel like jumping on it.
Almost wishing I had bought a Futaba instead it is that frustrating.
Anyhow, I'm going to have another go with the wet & dry when I get home, then stick some self adhesive Teflon strip onto the metal friction plate and give it another try.
The entire reason to buy Jeti (for me) was the ultimate stick feel, this has killed my experience stone dead!
I would also like to say that the throttle strap is very very soft metal, it bends and marks very easily, I would actually say the plastic of the DS14 gimbals is harder than the metal.
I hate to say it but it's a poor design.
If I use a throttle ratchet, it feels great however.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

So out of round as in square like every other transmitter? Perfect I'd hate to have to learn how to adjust when mine arrives Friday
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, they are square, but they refer to an uneven feel on the collective gimbal.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in