Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I get a T-rex 450?

I know this subject has been up a million times, but I am still undecided.

I just love my T-rex 500 so much, that I am afraid to "fly" it, and it is holding me back.
I am so scared of crashing it that it is holding me back.

I have a Gaui 200, but it can only be flown on very calm days
(At least with my skills)

I am thinking of getting a T-rex 450 as my "practice heli" (or beater heli, as some on HeliFreak call their second heli)

I think/believe that I will be less afraid to crash it, because I feel less "held back" when I fly my Gaui, even though it is much more difficult to fly than my T-500.

Any thoughts?

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you crashed your 500 yet?
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are affraid to crash your 500? Why? Because it will cost you money to fix it? But yet you are contemplating purchasing a 450 which is money spent and even more money spent on parts for when you crash. The 450 is harder to learn on because it is so much more unstable than the 500. And even if you do get better with the 450, chances are that you will still be scared to fly the 500 because you don't want to crash it. Well, in this hobby, unless you are a total pro, crashing is inevitable. You have to look past that point and accept it as part of the deal or you just won't truly enjoy it. Why spend more money on another heli to crash, when you can do that with the one you have now. Take the money that you were going to spend on the 450 and put it towards parts for the 500 for when you do crash.

I just think that it's funny that you have this great flying heli, but yet you are scared to really enjoy it. It is after all, just a high tech toy that can always be fixed. No need to spend more money to achieve the same goal.
mr2rbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Peter,
I think a lot of us feel like you at times. But IMO the best part of this hobby is actually having the heli zipping around doing what you want without having to actually think about it. It becomes second nature. The only way to get there is to hang it out there—and sometimes crash.

I learn a LOT more from my crashes than from my 'safe' flights. And the bad ones freak me out for awhile. Just gotta get back in the air and relax.
My opinion? Fly the 500. It's really smooth, powerful, forgiving. Use the money on parts.
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Having more than one helicopters is great. For me it is not so much about the money, but rather not being able to fly. I had two 450's before I got the 500, they are a bit smaller, but they are cheaper to crash. That is a fact. I would say get one. I asked before if you have crashed the 500, because sometimes you do not want to have that "first" crash. It is still new, shiny, etc. But after the first crash I find that I relax a little bit with the helicopter.
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoelliker View Post
Have you crashed your 500 yet?
No, I have not. And I think that is part of my "problem".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2rbo View Post
You are affraid to crash your 500? Why? Because it will cost you money to fix it? .
No, it is not about the money.
It is about my "love/affection" to my T-rex 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylepper View Post
Peter,
Fly the 500. It's really smooth, powerful, forgiving. Use the money on parts.
I will give all of your your great advices a second "chance"

Thanks a lot

Peter
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My advice is just keep practising with the 500, keep pushing your skills, keep practising on the sim.

Part of the fun is the huge adrenaline rush when trying new manoeuvres for the first time, once you master them, you dont get the same rush, so enjoy learning but do keep saftey in mind, keep plenty of distance and hight when flying out of your comfort zone.

I have gone from having only a little zoom 400, which could not really do aerobatics, to a trex 500, now doing giant loops, rolls, inverted, backwards inverted, tic-tocs, flips etc etc and loving it!
stew007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

NO, the trex 500 is way more fun to fly.
LoveMyTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I don't disagree with what the others have said but I have a bit different viewpoint.

I enjoy flying my 450, 500, and 600. I learn from each of them.

I am least careful with the 450 because it is the cheapest to repair.

I say, get a 450. If you have the money, why not.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by psindrup View Post
No, I have not. And I think that is part of my "problem".

No, it is not about the money.
It is about my "love/affection" to my T-rex 500

I will give all of your your great advices a second "chance"

Thanks a lot

Peter
Take your 500 out and crash it good. That will get you over that problem.

Just kidding. I've only crashed my 600 once and haven't crashed my 500 yet.

My 450 has taken a beating.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just take your time.... Your confidence will grow with the 500 very quickly, If you have ever flown a 600 you would be really sh*t scared about cashing.......

I found that if you can get confidence on a 600 then a 500 or 450 doesn't have such a big fear factor attached to it, you can get a little too confident with the 500 & 450

Just take it slow and I promise you that it will come, don't rush at this the learning is the most fun part after a while it gets harder to get the adrenaline pumping......
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completely agree with rdlohr--- You have to accept the fact that despite your love and affection for the 500, it will eventually go down. Whether now or one year from now, it will go down. Why not take it out, fly normally and if you crash, it will help you get over the first crash part. You will eventually get to the point where if you do crash, you just laught it off, accept the financial hit, rebuild, and fly again. I found that I have the most fun flying the heli and really using it's potential instead of being scared to go down. That's why they make replacement parts

Kind of reminds me of when I got my first bike (CBR F4i), I was so anal with that thing that I didn't go above 10k rpms for a good 6 mos. I was always worried about noises from the engine and was babying the crap out of it. Then one day, I decided to ride like my friends and really enjoy the bike. I had so much fun and forgot about the noises. When I sold the bike, it was still running strong without any issues (all those months worrying about something that wasn't even an issue). The point I'm trying to make is: just enjoy what you have and use it the way it was meant to be used. Don't waste your time babying a toy
mr2rbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey Peter,

I've been flying since 7 months, but when I say flying I mean 8 flights per day

first I started flyin the 450 v2 and was thinking that it is the best bird in the world, Than when I got and flew my 600N pro, I was convinced that I was totally losing my time with the 450.

Lately I ordered 6s 2600 25c packs for my baby (500)
Man!!!!
all I can say is that I will not exchange to any heli found on this planet my baby.

it flies like 600 nitro and even much better, Sometimes the 600 Nitro boggs due to overheat or weather change or even when the engine starts going bad.
But with the 500 all i can tell you is ZERO BOGGING i fly it hard 3d with +-12 pitch.
Every time I fly the 500 i feel like it is my first time flying

Now i will sell my 450 v2 and get batteries for my 500 for the money.

Just go fly your 500 and forget about 450
450 is much easier to loose orientation.

sorry can't write more cause i'm going to fly NOW

serge
invertsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like having 2 helis, one to fly and the other to fly when the first one is in pieces.

I have a 450 that I stretch my capabilities on and a 500 that I fly more conservativly. I used to have two 450s for the same purpose. If you have the funds, I say get a second 500! However the 450 is way cheaper to crash with its $13 main blades, $2 main shaft, $3 tail shaft, $4 servo gear sets, etc.
schwaggs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you want a second heli get a second 500, or a 600N or 700N. if you get a second 500 turn that one into a beater, put cheaper stuff on it and fly the crap out of it, maybe use 81MGs.
if you get a 600 or 700 turn your 500 as a beater, but don't get 450 they are no where near as fun to fly.
LoveMyTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a million for all your constructive and encouraging advices.

I am still undecided, but I am leaning towards just flying the T-rex 500 "all day long", but I am frustrated that I am progressing so slow.

I have flown my T-rex 65 times - 10 minutes pr. flight - have not crashed it yet, but I am still struggling with smooth figure of eights. I don't have the gust to make banked turns at the "ends" of the figure of eight.

All the best

Peter
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

your a helifreak are you not! ??? were,s your second heli Dude!!!!!

you have to have a 450 lol theres no question here or debate. man i love the 450 and you can beat it, wreck, fly, beat it, wreck, fly and polish new moves on it then show off with the 500 and it make it look so freakin great.

i love the 500 and like you i didnt want to wreck it but man its so sweet in the air i got carried away my first pac after lipo,s were broken in. threw on the canopy and after 4 min she went it. [broke my heart] luckily just boom flybar and main gear and servo gears were toast. oh and these canopy,s dont hold up in crashes very well at all. my crash was light but worth it if you saw how i was flying. 60 dollar wreck

trex 450 im just now holding inverted hovers and trying other sweet stuff and when it goes in im half that $$$ or less plus i take the 450 everywhere. with the 450 being quicker [squirrly] it will teach you better to handle the 500 with ease.
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Instead of getting a 450, I recommend getting another 500. IF you have 2, you'll be less squeamish about putting one into the dirt. Otherwise, you'll just have to get used to crashing. I have crashed so many times I can't even Count. I've crashed my 450s, my 50 sized, my 90 sized helis. Some weren't bad, some were horrific. You kind of get immune to crashing once you've done it. A 450 is fun but the 500 is more fun! Get 2!

I have a Lepton so I can't justify getting a 3rd 500 sized heli.
docjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 450SE and it’s a fun heli. Small durable and should be as complex as a 500 to repair. Mostly it’s something you don’t have to be afraid of crashing. Of course it takes a couple of crashes before you really get over crashing. I think crashing is part of the hobby. The 450 will just show you how good your 500 really is.

I would spend the $ on a 600 if you have the place to fly it.
dragoljub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I've only crashed my 600 once and haven't crashed my 500 yet.

My 450 has taken a beating.

Rick
Same here, but I haven't flown my 500 yet.. Packs are due tomorrow so I should get her in the air on Saturday morning.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in