Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: What would YOU go with?
Compass Atom 500 94 70.68%
Align T-rex 500 Pro DFC 39 29.32%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default T-Rex 500 Pro DFC vs. Compass Atom 500

Trying to see what people's thoughts are on the pro's / cons of the t-rex 500 Pro DFC vs. Compass Atom 500.

Im sick of paying crash costs for 'Align' and over the course of IRCHA had many people tell me that the Atom 500 was much cheaper to crash, as well as better flying. And not all of them were Compass team pilots I really really really love my 500 pro. Really hate the gearing for 3000 rpm and the TT system, that jacks crash costs up bad. The DFC is great, but basically the same as compass fbl head. I would ideally like to strip my 500, keep the ds510's, upgrade to full sized tail eventually instead of the ds520, id keep the align ecs until I had a reason to change. Id also use my sk540 I have on my 500 now.

Just wanted to get a feel for others thoughts on the pro's / con's before I do any real decision making, even though I have already posted up in the WTT thread, barebones 500 pro DFC w/ lots of spares for Atom 500 barebones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own a 500ESP and my buddy the Atom 500.

Recently he bought a second hand Protos.
It's a 500 size swinging the same blades. (425mm)

OMG the Protos is quick.
*MUCH* quicker compared to the Align and Compass.

When I would do it over again, Protos!
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude71 View Post
I own a 500ESP and my buddy the Atom 500.

Recently he bought a second hand Protos.
It's a 500 size swinging the same blades. (425mm)

OMG the Protos is quick.
*MUCH* quicker compared to the Align and Compass.

When I would do it over again, Protos!
I have considered Protos, and they DO look awesome but I have a solid compass / align support system around here since that is what everybody flies. I know one Protos owner within 2 hrs. How do they crash? As I begin progressing I find myself more concerned with how a heli crashes than flies
Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

is anybody else feeling like the crash cost on the 500 pro is insane? I mean, my last three crashes have put me at right around 90 each averaged out. Twice I buried it, once when it was FB. maybe I just suck that bad haha. Something about 'fast' heli's scares me at this point in my progression.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

both helis are good , got a trex 500 with the compass head
the only thing I don't like with the trex500pro is that you can't use standard tail servo as for atom 500 you can use mini or standard tail servo
Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know how the Protos crashes, I'll ask if I'm allowed to fly it.

If you're a beginner you have to look for parts.
Go with the bird you can easily get parts for.

Where I live the Align will win.
For my type of flying, the Align feels a tiny bit better in the air.

Good luck.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Protos 500 with CF frames crashes REALLY well.

I have pummeled mine and it goes back together very quickly and runs perfectly after every rebuild. I've managed to break the bottom plate on it, but am still on my original CF frames.

Also you will like that there are no wood screws like the TREX and there are aluminum PIM's ( threaded metal inserts in most places. Very solid construction.

There are NO gears to strip in a crash and a lot less bearings to deal with.

It has a fantastic power to weight ratio which makes it perfect for me to fly aggessively and then fly my TDR without it throwing me off.

I really love how it flies.

My TREX 550 flies like a pig compared to either of them. I've cranked the headspeeds way up on it to try to compensate, but it still doesn't fly as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flys better and is cheaper to fix. The Atom 500 is a tank as are 6HV and 7HV. The things can take a beating and come back for more.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

$90 doesn't sound bad to me. I guess it depends on how you crash them. I see a lot of fast/hard 3D explosions that cost hundreds of dollars to repair. Then again, I recently lost the tail and it turned into a top and somehow I got it level and throttle held and amazingly only broke a skid and a servo gear train - about $8. My crashes vary so much that I would have a hard time telling you what a "normal crash" is.
Dave H. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never really understood the whole "how does a heli crash" thing.Because I have piled my heli in ,it was in idle 2 and I did not have time to hit TH and damage was not bad.I have also crashed doing circuits and working on hover orientations and busted frames along with every shaft and gear..there is no rhyme or reason.

Having said that my signature says it all in reguards to my opinion
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCassidy View Post
is anybody else feeling like the crash cost on the 500 pro is insane? I mean, my last three crashes have put me at right around 90 each averaged out. Twice I buried it, once when it was FB. maybe I just suck that bad haha. Something about 'fast' heli's scares me at this point in my progression.
I upgraded my T-Rex 500 ESP to a belt drive because of crash costs. I had a string of tail problems and crashes that cost me more than I care to admit. I converted it to belt for less than the cost of the ESP tail block alone.

I am convinced TT's are just a scheme for manufacturers to make money in crashes I'm not a 3-d pilot and I see no difference now that I switched the T-Rex to belt. Until I am a 3-d pilot (yeah right) I am sticking to belt.

I also love my Protos 500 for its simplicity of design and agility. It is built like a tank.

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of course besides the fact that the Protos has the best power to weight ratio, it is BY FAR the best sounding heli in that size, period.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why buy aligns cheap clone head when you can get the original from compass.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

sounds like somebody should help me out

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=446298
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
The Protos 500 with CF frames crashes REALLY well.

I have pummeled mine and it goes back together very quickly and runs perfectly after every rebuild. I've managed to break the bottom plate on it, but am still on my original CF frames.

Also you will like that there are no wood screws like the TREX and there are aluminum PIM's ( threaded metal inserts in most places. Very solid construction.

There are NO gears to strip in a crash and a lot less bearings to deal with.

It has a fantastic power to weight ratio which makes it perfect for me to fly aggessively and then fly my TDR without it throwing me off.

I really love how it flies.

My TREX 550 flies like a pig compared to either of them. I've cranked the headspeeds way up on it to try to compensate, but it still doesn't fly as well.
+1

And you forgot to say it sounds amazing, no stupid gear noise to get in the way of the blade sounds. Just some motor whine (makes it sound sorta like a baby turbine)
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im thinking about a protos 500 ..How do the protos parts avil. go? Do they change models often? I tend to keep my helis around for quite a while.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lots of US distributors of Protos parts: amainhobbies, helidirect, msh-direct. The P500 design has not changed much since it first came out.

Protos FTW
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like my atom(s). Not because I own enough compass parts to start my own hobby shop, but because they fly well.

The compass has this really weird thing to it that it's super stable, hands off style, when you want it, but it'll really move when you give her the onion. That's flybarred though. Any Heli is going to act similar FBL because of the gyro systems corrections.

I also don't understand the "how well does it crash" questions. It crashes like any other helicopter from 450-700 size. Same trademark sound from the blades as they begin to till the earth, shortly followed by the distinct "thud" as the Heli meets up with terra firma.

In a crash, you can luck out, or lose big with any size Heli. From breaking a skid and chipping a main blade, all the way to a full re-kit scenario. It's all in the orientation the Heli comes down, speed, and how quickly you get on the TH switch.

As much as you learn to fly you have to learn to crash to minimize damage. And even then, luck won't always be on your side.

I have never flown a trex 500 truth be known. And I've never had the desire. I can't bash align too much. As I have an absolute bulletproof 600n that has hundreds of flights on it, all trouble free. However I'm not an "align guy."

I'm comfortable not following Tareq, Kammerer and the likes till my nose has the smell of their behind firmly implanted in my nostrils. (they are great pilots, I intend no dis respect towards their skills or as human beings)

I simply don't feel the need to fly what they fly to validate my status of badass in the hobby like so many do.

Fly what you like. I disagree with all the "buy what you can get support for locally" as well. With LHS after LHS going out of business, chances are you will end up mail ordering parts for any brand after the LHS goes out of business, or they don't have it in stock and you end up ordering it yourself online anyway. And the support base(s) on this very website can help you sort out nearly any problem you can encounter with an unfamiliar kit.

I honestly don't think you can buy a bad helicopter right now. Some will have features that will bug you, and there's no perfect kit out there. They all fly similar, and all models mentioned here are of a good quality. It just comes down to what you like.

I applaud your courage to step out of the mental box some pilots get locked into, believing that only Align helis are worth the effort. I believe you will find Compass helis to be a very nice change of pace. Super nice people on the forums here will help you out if/when the need arises.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I had to chose again - the Protos 500 would be my heli. I had the chance to put one together and fly and this thing is amazing agile. Parts availability seem to be no issue.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like to have a Protos 500 as well. But Id rather have a canopy like this. I love this canopy and can't find anywhere to get one of these.

I don't care for the stock CF 500 Canopy http://helidirect.com/msh-protos-500...es-p-22651.hdx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in