MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

View Poll Results: Are you still flying your Mini Protos
Yes, I will need parts 43 66.15%
No, I stopped flying it 8 12.31%
I don't have one 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still flying mine and will keep/fly it as long as parts are available, same with the P500.

The only good thing about helis like the Mini and P500 fading in popularity is it drives the cost down far enough that ppl who couldn't afford one before, now can.

No way I could buy a brand new 500 but P500's are selling in the classifieds cheap enough for me to buy 2

Love them both but there's something magical about the Mini P imho. It's soooooo smooth and stable, everything I do on it looks better than it does flying any of my other helis, even the ones I've flown 10x more. Idk maybe I got lucky and got the tuning just right for a change but the Mini feels and flows better than anything else I've ever flown.

It's the heli I chose in the "If you could only have one" thread if that tells you anything....lol

Love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have all the parts in stock. And will get them on the site soon. In the meantime if you need anything just email sales@mshusa.com
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I know a young flyer who would love it. I gave him my TREX 600.
th0rg0d and rdlohr,

I received the Mini P back in July and should have touched base sooner. I am psyched! This is going to make an awesome winter project and an even better daily flyer in the spring.

Many thanks to the both of you for the generosity!
jmlemaire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't flown mine in a couple years. A few weeks ago I stretched it and converted to 6s. It flies really nice now but I'm still having trouble getting the tail perfect. It still has some bounce and wiggle. I'm using the HC/BD 3SX. I upgraded to the metal Lynx tail and everything perfectly smooth with very little slop, but it acts like its sticking.

My mechanic giving it a pre-flight inspection. She always has to be involved, and she really likes watching it fly.

Last edited by RaptorFuel; 10-05-2016 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Add photos
RaptorFuel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorFuel View Post
I haven't flown mine in a couple years. A few weeks ago I stretched it and converted to 6s. It flies really nice now but I'm still having trouble getting the tail perfect. It still has some bounce and wiggle. I'm using the HC/BD 3SX. I upgraded to the metal Lynx tail and everything perfectly smooth with very little slop, but it acts like its sticking.

My mechanic giving it a pre-flight inspection. She always has to be involved, and she really like watching it fly.

Yeah still have some bounce and wiggle in my tail as well. Man that's a monster pack what's that an 1800? I'm running 1300/1200's in mine.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
Yeah still have some bounce and wiggle in my tail as well. Man that's a monster pack what's that an 1800? I'm running 1300/1200's in mine.
Its an 1800. I bought one just so I can have some long flight times to practice. I get over 8 minutes flight time and still have plenty of juice left. My other packs are 1200s.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlemaire View Post
th0rg0d and rdlohr,

I received the Mini P back in July and should have touched base sooner. I am psyched! This is going to make an awesome winter project and an even better daily flyer in the spring.

Many thanks to the both of you for the generosity!
My pleasure Jeremy. Its great to see you catching on and enjoying the hobby. I get just as much pleasure watching you learn on my REX 600 as I ever did flying it myself.

OnTheSnap, hahaha, Jeremy's gonna be need lots of parts!
Just kidding, he's doing great!

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorFuel View Post
Its an 1800. I bought one just so I can have some long flight times to practice. I get over 8 minutes flight time and still have plenty of juice left. My other packs are 1200s.
What's the size difference?

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
What's the size difference?
1350:
9.5oz, 1.35x1.35x4.2

11.5oz, 1.32x1.64x4.23

The 1800 just barely fits under the canopy and its not too front heavy. It gives me some nice long flights.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, thanks.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still plenty of life left in the mini P

Dont give up on us yet.

Maybe a V2 (colored carbon frame edition) kit to keep the Mini P going strong.
cool cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you mean "still"...I haven't even started...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2540.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	697632  
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right on, I have not started yet either.

Looking forward to it though, I know its a great bird seen them fly and love the sound.
cool cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like it so much I have 3 plus a mountain of stock and Lynx spares...lol
2 functional and 1 with a motor to cannibalize if I ever need a spare that I don't have on hand.

Long live the Mini P!!!!!!

Might have to try a bigger lipo myself. Like how it flies with a 1200 but my favorite Mini has the Xnova motor which is a beast but sure sucks the juice down. Think it's time to retire the tired 1200's and try some 1500-1550's. Don't want to weigh it down too much.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I regularly fly the Protos, and after a 9 month absence, I now have a mini Protos again. I love the quiet, light disk loading feel of both these birds. I hope parts continue to be available for a while....
jmtyndall likes this.
BillG is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome back! Every time I fly my MP i say to myself how can a bird get any better...I've bought and sold various helis for awhile now, but this one will be in my stable for as far as I can see...unless the tech takes a huge leap forward.

It fills in many blanks, but if I were to only assign the top three reasons that make it noteworthy it would be;

1) Simple design
2) Lightweight
3) Quiet

besides, that growl she makes with those OE 350 blades at 3000rpm into a bank turn at the returns of a speed run is intoxicating. I swear she's faster than some planks I had back in the day.
BillG likes this.

Last edited by FNFAL; 10-11-2017 at 05:23 PM..
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thought I would chime in here....

I am completing a new to me stretched MiniP that was broken down by the original owner. This allowed me to put it back together (all parts except head and tail assemblies) and learn the heli since you often don't learn about a 2nd hand heli until you crash and need to rebuild. The build is nice though I'd say the manual is not as helpful as the Oxy's (my only other comparison) and many of the steps require some knowledge (or assumption of knowledge) so not particularly good for the beginner.

It's been tricked out with all Lynx upgrades running on 6s. Electronics is next step and hope to maiden soon.

Also took advantage of Lynx's massive sale to soak up a few extra parts...Good times.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutme View Post
Thought I would chime in here....

I am completing a new to me stretched MiniP that was broken down by the original owner. This allowed me to put it back together (all parts except head and tail assemblies) and learn the heli since you often don't learn about a 2nd hand heli until you crash and need to rebuild. The build is nice though I'd say the manual is not as helpful as the Oxy's (my only other comparison) and many of the steps require some knowledge (or assumption of knowledge) so not particularly good for the beginner.

It's been tricked out with all Lynx upgrades running on 6s. Electronics is next step and hope to maiden soon.

Also took advantage of Lynx's massive sale to soak up a few extra parts...Good times.
You'll love it - they're fabulous

Actually at the time (6 or 7 years ago) the M-P manual was very good - ahead of it's time, however OXY have taken things on to another level (as have some others such as SAB). Much more detailed and specific (e.g. servo lead lengths).

If you have any specific questions - just ask
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
You'll love it - they're fabulous

Actually at the time (6 or 7 years ago) the M-P manual was very good - ahead of it's time, however OXY have taken things on to another level (as have some others such as SAB). Much more detailed and specific (e.g. servo lead lengths).

If you have any specific questions - just ask
Thanks for reminding me that the MiniP is 6 to 7 years old. It's a bit unfair for me to compare modern day manuals then...Considering that, the manuals pretty good!

When setting high and low end points tonight on the YGE, I realized I twisted the belt the wrong way and my tail is rotating the wrong direction....Have to re-do.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Progress on my MiniP!

Heli's rebuilt, ESC is setup with Gov Store, need to mount the FBL and do the swash setup and remaining FBL settings....

Now..what to do with all of those wires...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171013_085333_01.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	725784  

Last edited by howaboutme; 10-13-2017 at 11:40 AM..
howaboutme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in