Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What governor recommended for a Raptor 50?

A year ago I knew nothing about RC helis and never in my right mind thought I would ever need a governor, but now I’m re-considering. What should I be looking for and what should I stay away from?
I found one particular governor, a “Revlock” that manages RPM as well as pitch at the same time. Is this something I should be looking for or just a plane governor? What other makes would you recommend? Are they easy to setup and can anyone direct me to more info? Would it be a waist to install a governor on my Raptor 50 as she is powered by the slightly underpowered TT 50 Pro motor? Should I upgrade the motor first? And later do the governor?
Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks for the help!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A governor is useful on any engine, especially one that is on its power limit.

I have the Futaba GV-1 on one Raptor and a CSM Revlock 20 on the other and another RL20 in a scale Lama. I think you are referring to the Revlock 30 or 40 that has the option of pitch management as well.

The old Futaba is way too long in the tooth and is too slow and heavy.

I love the CSM Revlock and if I were buying another governor I would choose no other. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the RL 30/40. Main reason is I am just in the process of updating my head to the Titan SE and with +/-15 degrees on the blades I figure that a little assistance with collective management would be very nice. But you don't have to connect it if you don't want to.

The revlock is a doddle to set up following the step by step guide and it is set and forget. In fact it has been so long since I adjusted mine, I honestly cannot remember how to set it without reading the set up card again!!
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have used Revlock 20 and Futaba GV-1 andI preffer the Revlock 20, the GV-1 does not seem to keep up as the revlock does, and the sensors seem to fail, then the GV-1 just failed on me also. I am also now trying out the Aerospire Multi gov on the Raptor 90SE so I will see.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Curtis youngblood ATG V3. It was my first governor install, set up and use. It was very easy (finless bob has a video on it) and the governor itself was relatively inexpensive compared to others. It works great (only have GV1, Specktrum, and multi-gov to compare to as that is what the guys I fly with have). This would be a great governor for your 1st one as it is fairly easy to install and adjustable. You might want to make sure you have an extra channel available for some gov's so watch out for that.
JKEP44 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ATG V3 with the Specktrum sensor works great for me..

http://nitro-magic.blogspot.com
TmMugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

Hi!

I am busy building a Raptor 50 Titan SE. Did not have money for the combo kit and therefore did not get the Zero Alpha governor. I have been recommended this one, http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=805342 , from heliproz and would like to hear your opinion on this as I have absolutely no idea!!!

Thanks gentleman!
Mareebaman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the multigov pro on my R50 and R90...

And they are rely good..
Easy to set up and works excellent.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 MultiGov

I installed MultiGov on a rappy 60 with the Spektrum Backplate Sensor in the end because my fan did not have the pre-molded spots for the magnets and when i drilled through the fan it caused vibration..

MultiGov Tached 1830 when set to 1850, setup was a few minutes...

Governor, which ever you end up with is such a huge improvement in flying that i got one now for all my helis and will never fly without one!!
pkfrizzlefry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay, I’m planning my next order, I’m going for a whole lot of goodies to get the heli flying well. I’m however still not sure if I should go for the Smart –Carb or a Revlock 30 governor. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you can tune ok then go for the governor, the carbsmart is extra weight that the raptor definitly does not need!
What radio do you have? I have a DX7 soI bought a set of Align DS620 servos and AR7100r (built in gov) + 2200mah lipo for my new rappy and man is this thing lite!
If you want to run a carbsmart this would be the way go
The Align servo's at 8v are off the hook may not be as reliable as the Ace servo's I run in my other Heli's but I am willing to take the chance!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that, I’m using a Dx 7 with the standard 7200 RX. If I go for the Spektrum setup and use a 7100 I guess that’s just for the governing and the 7200 will still be the main receiver? I’ll also be ordering DS620 for my swash and throttle.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No the 7100R is an all in one Reciever,reg and governor! It has a 5.2v bus for your gyro and rudder servo and two throttle plugs, one at full voltage the other at 5.2v if you are using a rudder servo for throttle (I'm using a s9254) the cyclic's all run at full battery voltage.
If you want to go this way don't forget the R after the 7100 or you will get no gov!
You will be able to sell your 7200 and spec up on somthing else
Ely.Q Vision 50
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,NitroAI
So are you saying I could use the 7100 R as a regulator should I decide to go to a 6 volt lipo power pack, and use the 5 volt out for the rudder? If I later get myself a Raptor 90 could I use the 7100R as a governor in the 90? Does the 7100R come with all parts includes and will it fit easily to the Red line 53.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finless has done a full review, check it out! https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=78276
Ely.Q Vision 50
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

i am running the atg from curtis youngblood and i love it
heliman45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

carbsmart is noy heavy at all i have one installed on my raptor and is a good tool to have if setup properly and im running a gv-1
wc_wickedclown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

im using the align $65 dollar gov and it works great. no problems with it. been using it for a year now flawless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in