Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Has anybody used a LMA with SK720?

Trying to install a lost model alarm http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/LMA-A.html to my Gaui X3, which uses Skookum's SK720 (blue label) and Spektrum DX8. Specifically I need help knowing which port to connect it to on the FBL and how to map it in the radio so that it can be activated by a vacant channel on the radio.

I tried plugging it into the IO-B port on the FBL and it beeps on and off but I have not control over it. I also use Skookum's field module for setup (my windows laptop is a junker).

Any suggestions are most appreciated.
Gobby 500 Sport USA Ed. #55, Oxy 2, PA Addiction X, Specter 700 V1 in progress, on iX12
RMJ22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ22 View Post
Trying to install a lost model alarm http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/LMA-A.html to my Gaui X3, which uses Skookum's SK720 (blue label) and Spektrum DX8. Specifically I need help knowing which port to connect it to on the FBL and how to map it in the radio so that it can be activated by a vacant channel on the radio.

I tried plugging it into the IO-B port on the FBL and it beeps on and off but I have not control over it. I also use Skookum's field module for setup (my windows laptop is a junker).

Any suggestions are most appreciated.
I have that exact device installed on my model, and after trial and error discovered that the Aux 2 channel on my DX9 had control of the IO-B port on the SK by default.

You might need to swap the channels you are already using around if you happen to be using Aux2 for another function, or else you will need to try and figure out which port one of your other available channels has control of. I used a servo to figure mine out. There is no config on the SK side of things to set it up.

I can map any channel to any switch on the DX9, but I don't recall my DX8 having quite the same freedom, so you may be limited as to which switch you can choose for Aux 2, but it can certainly be done. Just use the monitor function on the TX and verify which switch if any is actually moving the Aux 2 channel and go from there.

It will alarm when activated by switch on the negative side of the channel, or with any signal loss such as turning the TX off
Old 01-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you, XrayTed, I got it! Turns out I had the LMA plugged into IO-C instead of IO-B because I had the BEC plugged into IO-B. So I swapped them and put the BEC on IO-C and the LMA on IO-B and everything appears to be working on command now. By default IO-B is Aux 2 on my DX8 just like you suggested.
Gobby 500 Sport USA Ed. #55, Oxy 2, PA Addiction X, Specter 700 V1 in progress, on iX12
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ22 View Post
Thank you, XrayTed, I got it! Turns out I had the LMA plugged into IO-C instead of IO-B because I had the BEC plugged into IO-B. So I swapped them and put the BEC on IO-C and the LMA on IO-B and everything appears to be working on command now. By default IO-B is Aux 2 on my DX8 just like you suggested.
Great to hear! Just a tip based on my experience with it so far.....make sure you can easily unplug and disable it when needed.

It will scream every time you connect or disconnect the SK unit up to the software for tuning purposes, even with the TX on and this can get really annoying fast, especially if you are going through a full setup and having to connect/disconnect many times.

I'm not sure if yours is just directly connected to the FBL unit or not, but I ended up using a Y lead to IO-B (The LMA shares the same port as my remote LED does)

I relocate the alarm down into the frame, but I can also quickly unplug it from the Y when needed with easy access without having to unplug directly at the FBL buss which could possibly disturb the other connections which I keep secured with tape for safety.

It also beeps once every time I power up my models electronics to fly, but I can deal with this. It's actually helped me out once when accidentally powering my model to fly and forgetting to turn the TX on first, causing it to immediately start alarming that there was no signal.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the additional tips as well
Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

For anyone who is interested, I recently traded off both of my SK720's for AR7200BX's. The LMA works on Aux2 identically on the AR7200BX's as they did on the SK720's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in