Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Spinewrecker
  • 2 Post By Rob43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PSA: good preflight and mid flight checks

Here is a psa based on an experience I had today. I was at field and flying. Had my goblin 500 out for a few flights. Did a preflight before first lift off, all was well. Lifted off, first minute of flight was good too. 2 minutes in, something started to seem strange but I couldn’t put a finger on what. I landed and took off once more, seemed fine for 10 seconds then had a bad feeling, so I landed, pulled blades and did a bench run up. Seemed fine so I shut it down and did an ‘enhanced’ preflight check. Nothing turned up so I started pulling on every link, and one of my linkage rods pulled out of its ball end. I was extremely glad to find that on the ground since it was linkage for one of the main blade grips!

The psa from this is know how your heli sounds and behaves normally, do a good preflight check, and if you notice a change in flight, land and investigate. In my case, I can’t even put a finger on what caused me to land and check. This may have gone a few more flights before failing, but instead of a potential big crash and repair, I’ll replace $10 worth of ball link ends (will change all on the heli since they’re now suspect). Will be a good chance for a mid season deeper inspection while at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great catch!
Thumbsy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing. Good reminder. We get conditioned to trust the things we normally inspect as sufficient. But there are always things we overlook
3D Dave and Egroeg like this.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As a newbie to helis, let me ask:

What should we be doing as a preflight check?

I know that I need to check that all surfaces are moving in the correct orientation, but I'm finding that I can't do ALL of that on my heli compared to some of the larger ones.

For example, the Goblins and Align 500s that I saw at the field yesterday all had tail rotor assemblies that operated from a servo arm that rotated the tail blades. My Goosky S2, however, is direct drive on the tail, and has no ability to rotate the tail blades, so I can't really test that until it's out on the pad/in the air, short of doing something colossally stupid, like holding on to the bottom of the heli and checking thrust from the tail boom with blades spinning...

So, in the interest of safety, what would be a GOOD preflight checklist to go through so that I don't have to worry about something coming towards me like a flying guillotine?
sprzout is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in