Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is strange... I was one of the first 30 kits from HD and my boom is beautifully clear coated and matches the canopy perfectly?

Anyone else get a clear coated boom?
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbag View Post
This is strange... I was one of the first 30 kits from HD and my boom is beautifully clear coated and matches the canopy perfectly?

Anyone else get a clear coated boom?
Also the mine is perfectly coated. This is the reason for my previous post. I don't understand what is the problem.
alexvan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvan View Post
Also the mine is perfectly coated. This is the reason for my previous post. I don't understand what is the problem.
Is the nice gloss finish

Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk
Nitros83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok the boom is a matt finish with some minor imperfections. The quality on the boom is jagged in certain places but does not matter. I was worried at first by reading this thread but now I got my Goblin all these things are very minor the overall quality is excellent. I am usually a very fussy person when it comes to quality. Will post a vid in a minute as it is uploading
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitros83 View Post
Is the nice gloss finish

Sent from my iFonzie
using Tapatalk
My boom in glossy finished exactly like the canopy. I think there is quality issue with some kits.
alexvan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvan View Post
My boom in glossy finished exactly like the canopy. I think there is quality issue with some kits.
Same here, mines a full gloss finish. I have a few pinholes showing where the clear is over the raw carbon but besides that it's pretty good.

I did have to spend a bit of time with the dremel on a stick to grind down a big lump of carbon joining tape that had lifted inside the boom about halfway.
It would have fouled the belt if I left it.

Chris.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbag View Post
Same here, mines a full gloss finish. I have a few pinholes showing where the clear is over the raw carbon but besides that it's pretty good.
Mine is the same, it could be better without the pinholes but overall fully functional and looks fine unless you are very picky.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My boom is matte as well. Still looks awesome and I won't feel as bad now when I stuff it.

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 03-06-2012 at 06:12 PM..
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my version of an unboxing

Unboxing Of My Goblin 700 (11 min 13 sec)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like it is supposed to be glossy but the dude with the clear coat gun fell asleep on some kits. It does not make sense to have the canopy glossy and the boom matte.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to SAB, the boom was supposed to be clear coated but the clear coat will cause more pit holes on the carbon fiber surface after painting. Therefore they choose to use matte finishing.

SAB is working on other method of producing the unique shape carbon fiber boom and there are quite a few people asking for black boom. If there is no painted it is much easier to produce. So we hope the boom will be much improved very soon.

SAB is also doing some video to show how they implement CNC machines to cut the servo holes for more accuracy and nice appearance. Things will be much better in the near future.
SAB GOBLIN USA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's good to hear, but should this not have been done before the first kits left the factory?

It was my build thread on RCHeliaddicts, and I stand by what I said that the machining was as good as my TDR. I am very very impressed with the alloy parts.

We did get the boom sprayed locally by a body shop with a 2 pack clear coat. Looks much better now.
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctintin View Post
That's good to hear, but should this not have been done before the first kits left the factory?
Perhaps, but then you would still be waiting, if you wait for them to get every little thing "perfect" then you will wait forever. It is also possible that the issue only became apparent AFTER they produced the first batch, what should they do there, scrap them and make everyone wait another few months?
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be good to see the booms made by painting the mold, laying it up and pulling out a finished product... like most fiberglass planks/gliders/Heli baldes are done these days.

It is actually much less work than the way they have done it and you get 100% repetitive accuracy.

My glossed boom is 262g.. feels heavy.

Last edited by Nutbag; 03-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Nutbag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I work in manufacturing, when we engineer a new product we run many engineering samples. Only when we can reproduce a quality part on an consistent basis do we move onto production parts.

Guess what? a lot of money can and will be spent on product that is scraped out if not up to par.

I do not think it is too much to ask to receive a product that looks to be properly finished. we should not be finding kits, some with clear coat and some with out. They should come up with SOP's (standard operating procedures and stick to them)

I understand SAB is new to building a heli from the ground up and there is going to be some growing pains.

Considering SAB is in the business of building blades which are made of what i would guess are pretty much the same materials as the boom. That this would be the last portion of the heli that they would have had issues with.

It is good to know they are listening and making corrections on the fly.

I should have my kit by middle of next week and hope that i can feel good about my $1,000 purchase.
David Canfield is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yes but

I don't think sab is building the boom or canopy. Either way mine looks pretty darn good as is!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Canfield View Post
I work in manufacturing, when we engineer a new product we run many engineering samples. Only when we can reproduce a quality part on an consistent basis do we move onto production parts.

Guess what? a lot of money can and will be spent on product that is scraped out if not up to par.

I do not think it is too much to ask to receive a product that looks to be properly finished. we should not be finding kits, some with clear coat and some with out. They should come up with SOP's (standard operating procedures and stick to them)

I understand SAB is new to building a heli from the ground up and there is going to be some growing pains.

Considering SAB is in the business of building blades which are made of what i would guess are pretty much the same materials as the boom. That this would be the last portion of the heli that they would have had issues with.

It is good to know they are listening and making corrections on the fly.

I should have my kit by middle of next week and hope that i can feel good about my $1,000 purchase.

OK, please don't take offense, but you sound like the ISO9000 police. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000

ISO9000 = Exterminating productivity IMO

I have worked for a large company doing engineering as well as a startup that has now grown to a mid size business. Adding ISO processes to a small agile company is death. You need to be quick agile and fast to get competitive product to market. You're dealing with budgets that are ridiculously small and spending half of it on extra processes is not a realistic option.

If SAB's main issue is a matte boom and a few miss-packed baggies I think they have done an amazing job for an initial launch.

Lets hope the Goblin is wildly successful and they can employ 50 ISO guys to look over everyone's shoulders and document everything. Just not a realistic concept for a small business though.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are probably right.

In the end it is their name that is going on every boom. Meaning they should oversea the process. Did they not have the booms shipped to them for final packaging?

If so, I can only guess they felt the booms were up to what ever standard they had set.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

No offense taken.

I am not suggesting going to those extremes ( qs9000, iso9000)

I am only suggesting to follow simple guide lines, something even a small start company should do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in