Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This look right?

I bought a 600 used earlier this year. Haven't really flown it much but this has always bothered me. Just doesn't look right.

Looking from the front the arms from servo to swash look like they're at too much of an angle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435113473.695868.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	592639

From the side they have a angle as well.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435113535.758217.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	592640

Is this just how the 600 is supposed to be? It flies ok but it isn't great. I mainly fly 450s and those all fly better than this.

The previous owner stripped the shit out of most of the screws that hold on the servo horns. So I'll be getting out the dremel and replacing the servo horns.

Also I know this is the older motor. Is it normal for this motor to run hot? You can't hold your finger on the motor for two seconds after you land. It's really hot!! I am planning on upgrading to the 750mx.

Last edited by CrashNburn420; 06-24-2015 at 05:54 AM..
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have the pro, so I can't say about the servos. As far as the motor getting hot, what part of the country you in? It is Summer time and tends to get hotter. Also could be in your ESC settings as well.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm in the northeast, i flew it in the spring when it was in the low 70s and it still got really hot.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say ESC settings. What ESC you running?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 450L Dom is the same way. Pretty much identical angles.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the castle 80amp esc. I'll post a screenshot of my settings tonight.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You questioning the servo linkage alignment made me laugh. Its funny how we all encounter the same ideas and thoughts with these things. When I built my first 600, I must have stared at that alignment for 10 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I thought the swashplate had a forward direction and maybe the elevator extension was shorter and I had it backwards. Nope, the swashplate has the same extensions in any direction.

Its just the way it is I think :-)
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Rc/Dc! It just doesn't look right but if that's how it, that's just how it is.

Now onto the motor u could cook an egg on after a mild flight....
Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty experienced with Align motors as that is all I ever buy, fly, and research. I love them.

I'd suggest your best bet for that motor is 12 pwm, 0 timing, and the governor gain cranked up if its governed.

Evaluate the logs and perhaps explore bumping up the timing to move the power deliver around into your range of operation. But the above settings are best to keep the temps down. Once you get the motor temps down with 0 timing- explore bumping the timing up to get the power where you want it.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

it was set to 12 PWM but the timing was on 5. I dropped it down to zero. Before I had been running flat TC's with no governor. I did setup the gov while going through all of this. I think I have it all right but will be doing some bench testing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motor.PNG
Views:	438
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	592771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle.PNG
Views:	475
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	592772  
Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was just thinking, it has been since Nov 2014 since I last looked at mine. I can't remember what it is set at.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 600 pro also with the castle 80 and 600 mx motor, mine runs fairly cool to the touch. I lost my logs from last year when I did a reset on my computer, so I do not know the exact temps I was getting. Something sounds amiss to me though.
NC Hillbilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depending on where your flat throttle curve was- that could amp up the ESC and motor. Ideally, you want your throttle curve above 90 and a V curve can really help out by adding more throttle when adding more pitch. The only time I'd use a flat TC is at 100 percent flat- WFO.

Anyway, by cranking up the governor gain, you should notice some improvement with the motor temps. You should also get a temp gauge so you can track it.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am trying to figure out why you would have your timing on low? Usually I have mine on mid. The last time I put one on low, I lost power.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This look right?

Motor is still coming down hot. It bogs fairly easy and sounds a little off.

Going to replace it with the 750mx, helidirect should have a 4th of July sale next weekend so I'll order that and the booster kit. Maybe anew canopy and more batteries too....
Old 06-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

One suggestion that was given to me by Clint with CC, Set the throttle direction reverse and then reverse the throttl in the Tx. That way if you accidently default the software before writting and you don't catch it, the heli motor spooling and the blades not turning might remind you to double check the ESC settings.

Edit: higher pwn is suppose to help motor run cooler isn't it? I run midtiming and 8 pwm on all of my Align motors.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You won't regret the 750mx. Goodness it makes torque like a Mac Truck and uses about 45 amps on average. Mine is on V curve and peaks at 102 amps at 2500 rpm 14 degrees of pitch!

The motor defies common sense. A true beast.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
You won't regret the 750mx. Goodness it makes torque like a Mac Truck and uses about 45 amps on average. Mine is on V curve and peaks at 102 amps at 2500 rpm 14 degrees of pitch!

The motor defies common sense. A true beast.

That's what I like to hear!
Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heres an example of how low you can get the current. Now don't let these numbers fool you. This is at 2300 rpm with a slight V curve and the helicopter still pulls hard up into the sky. Its still extremely capable at this rpm and you can fly for 5-6 minutes.

Notice the peak current of 84 amps yet it still produced 4000 watts. Low current, low heat, massive torque. 29 amps used on average. That's the power of high voltage and a good motor. Less electrons- but they are coming through with more force. I love it when people say voltage does not matter.... - on planet earth it sure does.

The 750mx in a 600 is not a motor that you beat on and drag power out of. Its so responsive and over torqued, that you carefully apply power in metered amounts. When you overfly this motor, it will literally yank the helicopter off its stable attitude. The 750mx is a motor that you line up and get straight before you apply power lol. It gets moving with brutal abruptness.

It was about a year and half ago that the 750mx was Align's top the line 700 class motor. Intended to power a disc that is nearly 8 inches bigger than our 600s. In all senses of the word, it is too big and has too much torque for a 600. But isn't that what we all want? Its so fun to fly. Just gotta be more smooth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2300 RPM.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	595824  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 750mx motor installed in my heli now, I just need to go through the Beast x setup again since I had to turn it around, the wires were too close to the motor. I will start with a mild V curve.

Is it important to switch over to the new style of feathering shaft? I figured I would change it over after my next crash, i don't fly hard 3d or anything. I had to get the booster pack and it came with the new feathering shaft and thrust bearings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in