Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #601 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Taranis Logging/Telemetry

Man, I love the Taranis telemetry! I put an amp sensor on the Mostro. Playing around with the log files this morning. Here is a graph on one flight:

Amps never even hit 70! I wasn't exactly taking it easy either. That makes me feel good. Especially the way everyone talks about needing 160a plus ESC on a 700. With my flying style, I think the 120a is gonna work for a while.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #602 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your previous post when you had to reprogram your Mostro because of a firmware update, I think that was my problem with my X3. I didn’t make the connection until you said you did an update and had problems I did an update on my Ikon and started having problems but as I said I didn’t make the connection because it was a week or so later when I flew the six cell battery. I flew six batteries on the X3 this Saturday and it flew same as always which was great. I was going to take the Agile out on Sunday but was a little under the weather and didn’t feel like it. Don’t you love that amp sensor I have one on my Agile also but I’ve been a big fan of flying by amps. I think if you do a few pitch pumps you’ll find you get higher peak amps I’ve recorded over 100 amps on my Agile doing pitch pumps just to see what kind of amps it could draw, in normal flight I’m nowhere near that and I’m only running a 80 amp HW pro so I think your right that your 120amp is more than adequate.If you’ve flown and recharged your batteries you’ll find it’s very accurate if you wait till you get home the battery will have recovered a little and it doesn’t look quit as accurate.
We have a guy at the field that is a team pilot for Evolution helicopters and he can fly. But he had another pilot out on Saturday I think for him to take pictures and he could fly also. It was scary the way he was throwing around that 700. He was a little bit of a ass no let me that the little bit away when he got ready to fly he just walked out put the helicopter down and expected everybody to get out of his way or lose your helicopter, I don’t think he gave a shit about his it wasn’t his anyway. But his flying was OMG impressive. I tried to get a video of him flying on my phone but gave up I couldn’t follow him he was moving too fast but it was fun to watch.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #603 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did have another flight that peaked at 85 or so. I am sure you are right. I try not to be too aggressive on the pitch for most of my flying. Once I get into more 3D, I am sure the amps will go up, but this 120a esc will last me quite a while.

I forgot about your issue that Dave helped you with. I wish I would have thought of that sooner. I was really to a point of either resetting the FBL or start throwing things! The latter was too expensive, so I had to go with the former. Seriously, I was really really frustrated. A temper tantrum would not have gone over well though. The plant manager at my factory was there (he flies too). I don't really get physical when I am angry anyways. I just get more focused on the problem.

I really like flying by consumption as well. It is literally like a gas tank. And you are right. It is quite accurate compared to my charger.

Well, I hope you are feeling better now. Maybe you can get out and enjoy that Agile some more!

Shame that pilot was a Butt! You could learn so much from people with that skill if they were just approachable. Just keep working at it and next year, you can show him how it's done!
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Old 08-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #604 (permalink)
Registered Users

Snuck out to the field after work today and flew the Mostro and the X3.

X3 - 2 flights
Mostro - 2 flights

Still need to adjust the expo on the tail for the Mostro. It is almost like I need a half point on the expo... Working on forward and backward funnels in both directions. No inverted funnels yet. I practiced some backwards loops some more. I don't know why, but these are a bit challenging for me.

I would have flown more, but there was a gentleman at the field. We talked a bit, so it actually took me almost 1.5 hours to get the 4 batteries in It was a good time.

There is an open house at the field this weekend. I plan on being there for that and getting some more stick time in as long as the weather holds out.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #605 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Well, I hope you are feeling better now. Maybe you can get out and enjoy that Agile some more!"

Thank you I did feel better the next day and then had to hurt my back on Monday, don’t get old it sucks. I did finally make it to the gym today and my back feels much better something about the elliptical just works the right muscles in my back, I knew it would it was just getting the time to go. I guess that should tell me to not get the time but make the time.

"Shame that pilot was a Butt! You could learn so much from people with that skill if they were just approachable. Just keep working at it and next year, you can show him how it's done!"

The pilot that was the butt is not a regular the pilot that brought him out is and he’s pretty nice and is willing to help he just has the attitude that he doesn’t want to be there like somebody that doesn’t like their job. He was also a KDS team pilot so he’ll be a good source of info in the future.
Glad to hear you got out to the field, I know socializing is part of it even if you just want to fly. I’ve seen guys be there for hours and only fly once. I’m kind of middle of the road I like to fly but I like to talk too, but I do fly more than I talk. Looks like I won’t be getting much flying in this weekend with the hurricane heading my way but hopefully it’ll keep going straight into the gulf but right now that’s not the projected path. Drain a few batteries for me at your open house this weekend.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #606 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, I hope you fair well with the hurricane. That is just another advantage of living in Ohio (although winter sucks)!

I will fly a couple for you! I hope you can work your back out. I don't have major back troubles, but I have had a few spasms in the last few years that were not pleasant. Back troubles suck.

I was reading on one of the threads recently, and someone mentioned this website:

http://rcheli.club/moves/

I never knew it existed until a few weeks ago. There are some great moves in there. Many of them have videos linked as well. I think you can even create an account and track your progress. Pretty cool idea, and it gives me ideas. Not only things to practice, but ways to flow from one move to another to make the flying more visually appealing.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #607 (permalink)
Registered Users

There was an open house at the field today. I figured there would only be a couple folks show up, but we had an awesome showing. Some very good plane and heli pilots were there.

The sky was busy, but I still managed a few flights:

X3 - 3 Flights
X5 - 1 Flight
Mostro - 2 Flights

I feel like the moments that I am out of control are smaller and smaller. My piro hovering is getting better (at least upright). Inverted piro hovering still needs a lot of work, and probably some confidence

No major booboos. All the helis are still in one piece.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #608 (permalink)
Registered Users

Every time you come home with everything in one piece it was a successful day of flying for a RC helicopter pilot. If you don’t know Florida weather is fickle the saying goes if you don’t like the weather now wait a few minutes it’ll change. The hurricane is history no rain a little breezy but it was fine for the Agile, flew 4 batteries my back is much better life is good. Glad to hear the open house was a success I haven’t flown at one yet, for me I think it will be a little stressful with all the people watching but I’m getting used to people watching but the one’s I’ve been too were fun. I kept it pretty calm today one of the plane guys said you’re not going to crash today are you so I made sure I didn’t, but until the last battery I wasn’t on my A game anyway, I plan on giving it another shot tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #609 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great time! Wish I had the time to make the trip up north. I'd really enjoy flying with ya! You're making so much progress!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #610 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryu View Post
Every time you come home with everything in one piece it was a successful day of flying for a RC helicopter pilot. If you don’t know Florida weather is fickle the saying goes if you don’t like the weather now wait a few minutes it’ll change. The hurricane is history no rain a little breezy but it was fine for the Agile, flew 4 batteries my back is much better life is good. Glad to hear the open house was a success I haven’t flown at one yet, for me I think it will be a little stressful with all the people watching but I’m getting used to people watching but the one’s I’ve been too were fun. I kept it pretty calm today one of the plane guys said you’re not going to crash today are you so I made sure I didn’t, but until the last battery I wasn’t on my A game anyway, I plan on giving it another shot tomorrow.
Great that you got out to fly the Agile, and that you realized you were not on your A-Game. I have learned not to push myself on those days. I don't know if it a focus thing or what. If you are not feeling it, I think it is better to be conservative.

I used to get a bit more nervous about others watching. Especially since they are all better pilots than me. I usually get the heli into a hover and do a couple circuits, then I am in the zone. I don't realize anyone is there. At least until I hear the comments: "Lower!" and "Blade stop!"

There were a couple crashes yesterday. One was a very expensive plane... I felt bad for that guy. At least with a heli, you can get the parts to fix it. A lot of these planes are re-kits when they go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbobb1 View Post
Awesome! Sounds like you had a great time! Wish I had the time to make the trip up north. I'd really enjoy flying with ya! You're making so much progress!
You will have to come up some time. I would love to meet you and fly with you. There was a good group of guys there. We had Gary Williams there as well. He is a heck of a heli pilot. He has a lot of cool toys too, like a jet with a real turbine engine! Freaking Awesome!

My wife showed up with the kids a little later in the day, yesterday. It was nice for her to meet some of the guys.

Here is a video that she took of me flying as well. Watching other, more talented pilots fly, has a tendency to push you a bit. I made a few mistakes yesterday trying to do things I don't know how to do yet, but all turned out ok.

Gaui X3 Flight - 8/29/15 (4 min 13 sec)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #611 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great Video, I think you look a little more comfortable with the X3 it was very smooth and fluid. I just got the chance to really look at that rcheli.club site I’ve already picked up a few moves from it, I had heard of a Cuban 8 but didn’t really know what it was now I do. Thanks for sharing that I think I’ll learn a lot from it. No flying for me today looks like rain all day but that’s ok I have plenty I’ve been neglecting around the house to keep me busy.

Last edited by Larryu; 08-30-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #612 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought that flight looked familiar, I'm Eric from Saturday, i had the other x3 there.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #613 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome Eric! I forgot to ask what your name was on helifreak. It was great to meet you. Hopefully you can make it up again sometime!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #614 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I was rolling the dice with the weather today, and I may have lost. There was supposed to be a break in rain from around 9 am till about 3 pm.

8 am and the clouds have decided to start dropping rain! Dangit! I hope this isn't a system that just sort of hovers and rains/threatens all day. Oh well, there is always another day. If it clears up, I may still try to go out.

I hit the simulator a couple times this week. Things have been busy since the kids are back in school. There is always somewhere to run or a game to go to. Just have to fit the hobby in wherever I can.

Fingers crossed on the weather clearing up today.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #615 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today is pretty much a bust. Weather is supposed to be totally clear tomorrow, so looks like that is the day. Unfortunate because my wife and girls are out shopping with my mom today. Would have been the perfect time to fly.

Well, the sim is always good weather! More sim practice never hurt
Old 09-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #616 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should have come down here! The weather is perfect! And to think I have to work!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #617 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been watching the progress sporadically on this thread and I find it interesting that we both started making the same progression though model sizes. I've settled in on the 380,500,700 sizes for my helis. I'm saving for the 700 now. Just sold my 180 cfx and the nano left some time ago.

Your experience with the mostro confirms what I feel about the practice on and refine with the smaller models. I find the 380 magnifies my errors to the point that I have the correct them much more precisely to fly maneuvers.

Great job man! I'm really enjoying this hobby and I'm glad you are too!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #618 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbobb1 View Post
You should have come down here! The weather is perfect! And to think I have to work!
Well, the sky cleared up this afternoon, so I actually snuck out for a bit to fly a few batteries in between the rain. Shame you had to work. It's the holiday weekend! You are supposed to have the weekend off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCPharmD View Post
I've been watching the progress sporadically on this thread and I find it interesting that we both started making the same progression though model sizes. I've settled in on the 380,500,700 sizes for my helis. I'm saving for the 700 now. Just sold my 180 cfx and the nano left some time ago.

Your experience with the mostro confirms what I feel about the practice on and refine with the smaller models. I find the 380 magnifies my errors to the point that I have the correct them much more precisely to fly maneuvers.

Great job man! I'm really enjoying this hobby and I'm glad you are too!
I think that is the natural progression. Bigger is Better! Now, I need to stop acquiring and just fly! Big problem is that I really like wrenching on these things. I do think the X3 has made me better. I just have to be careful not to be drawn in to a false sense of security on the big heli, since it is so much more stable. BTW... I really like the look of the goblin heli's. I think one may be in my fleet someday.

I got a total of 5 flights in today:

X3 - 2
Mostro - 3

I almost put the Mostro in today. I was flying forwards inverted and momentarily lost orientation. Made a bad correction, which wasn't terrible. However, the heli was losing altitude. I gave a small amount of negative pitch, and it didn't seem to respond. At this point, the panic started to set in. It was about 12' off the ground and still dropping. I made a couple more small corrections, but they were not the correct direction. Now, I settled myself for about a half a second and thought, "Do I fly out or hit rescue?" Well, I wussed out and hit rescue. History tells me that once I get to that level of panic, I rarely make the correct adjustments. Thank you Neuron!

I do think I could have flown out of it, but I really just didn't want to take a chance. At this point, I decided that I have flown enough for today. I will hit it again tomorrow.

Just to add to my already long winded post, I would like to add an observation. It seems that I go through phases in my learning. I have been focusing a lot on upright and inverted piro hovering. That has helped immensely with my orientations. However, I still make mistakes that I shouldn't. I have also been practicing funnels and hurricanes on the sim. This seems to get my fingers mixed up from time to time. It is like, just before I make another step in progression, I get worse for a bit. Like my brain is going through a reprogramming phase, and I start to make mistakes that I wasn't making a month ago... I don't understand this, but that seems to be how things go for me.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #619 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Snuck out to the field today

I got about 3 hours of flying in today. The field was dead. Total flights:

X3 - 6
X5 - 2
Mostro - 4

It was fairly warm at about 90*, so I had to cycle through helis to allow them to cool. Worked out the charger a bit

I upped the expo slightly on my Mostro, and it is flying much nicer! I did a lot of practice on piro hovering upright and inverted. My inverted is pretty rough yet, but it is definitely getting better. Last couple flights with the X3 I was ripping it pretty good. Working on hurricanes. Man those sound and look awesome!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #620 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdad View Post
Well, the sky cleared up this afternoon, so I actually snuck out for a bit to fly a few batteries in between the rain. Shame you had to work. It's the holiday weekend! You are supposed to have the weekend off!

I think that is the natural progression. Bigger is Better! Now, I need to stop acquiring and just fly! Big problem is that I really like wrenching on these things. I do think the X3 has made me better. I just have to be careful not to be drawn in to a false sense of security on the big heli, since it is so much more stable. BTW... I really like the look of the goblin heli's. I think one may be in my fleet someday.

I got a total of 5 flights in today:

X3 - 2
Mostro - 3

I almost put the Mostro in today. I was flying forwards inverted and momentarily lost orientation. Made a bad correction, which wasn't terrible. However, the heli was losing altitude. I gave a small amount of negative pitch, and it didn't seem to respond. At this point, the panic started to set in. It was about 12' off the ground and still dropping. I made a couple more small corrections, but they were not the correct direction. Now, I settled myself for about a half a second and thought, "Do I fly out or hit rescue?" Well, I wussed out and hit rescue. History tells me that once I get to that level of panic, I rarely make the correct adjustments. Thank you Neuron!

I do think I could have flown out of it, but I really just didn't want to take a chance. At this point, I decided that I have flown enough for today. I will hit it again tomorrow.

Just to add to my already long winded post, I would like to add an observation. It seems that I go through phases in my learning. I have been focusing a lot on upright and inverted piro hovering. That has helped immensely with my orientations. However, I still make mistakes that I shouldn't. I have also been practicing funnels and hurricanes on the sim. This seems to get my fingers mixed up from time to time. It is like, just before I make another step in progression, I get worse for a bit. Like my brain is going through a reprogramming phase, and I start to make mistakes that I wasn't making a month ago... I don't understand this, but that seems to be how things go for me.

Awsome flying your killing it. I can't wait to get to your level of flying. I have been using the From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months lessons. I am at the inverted piro lesson at 95% speed. I was telling ArchmageAU (he made up the lessons) that seems like I get to a point where I am doing good the I tend to go backwards on the Sim. I think your right our brains are getting reprogramed. Guess its just the learning process.
cannon69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in