Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CoG

Hi everyone! After my trex 550l dominator build I realized that its CoG is OK until I put the canopy! Then it becomes nose heavy! I use 5000mah bateries and don't plan to change them all, so do you guys are having the same issue? What is the best way to solve this?
Alexandre Najar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you just slide the battery a little bit further back?
I have the 550 V2 and it’s a bit tail heavy, so I mount the battery a little bit further forward.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocool4 View Post
Can you just slide the battery a little bit further back?
I have the 550 V2 and it’s a bit tail heavy, so I mount the battery a little bit further forward.
Unfortunately no, because there is a frame stiffner that prevent the battery from going further back
Old 12-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put a small weight on the end of the boom.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell47 View Post
Put a small weight on the end of the boom.
What do you suggest? That fisher weights? What should I use to fix it? Thanks for the tip
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could also move the tail servo to the boom....
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post
You could also move the tail servo to the boom....
"GASP"...........That's like telling a hot chick to wear crocs and sweats instead of heels and skirt.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Najar View Post
What do you suggest? That fisher weights? What should I use to fix it? Thanks for the tip
If it's as far out on the boom as possible, you'd be surprised how little weight you'll need to balance. I would suggest maybe a couple of washers, or a coin, held in place by the screws holding the horizontal or vertical fin. Tape them on first to check how much you need, then drill to suit the screws.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't know what is a fisher weights?

Maybe you can use this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzjehg4mxq...80803.jpg?dl=0
Weights for alloy rims with self adhesive tape.
So you can use 5 or 10 gramm pieces in a row at the end of the boom and for safety covered with black tape around the boom and weight

Last edited by buell47; 12-08-2015 at 01:35 PM..
buell47 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The canopy? Good attention to detail.. but the COG is not that delicate. If you look in the Align manual, the window for correct COG is pretty wide. Plus or minus 60 degrees from level. There's no way the canopy alone can knock it out of that window.

Of course, you want it as close as possible... I mean before you start tearing off components and adding dead weights, just make sure your battery is as far back as you can get it and that the helicopter hangs in the correct COG specs during the test.

Then fly it and see if you can complain. As long as it's within the specs in the manual it will be fine. Even the most discerning, extreme, smack 3D pilot could live within those specs. If its off that tiny amount from the canopy and you can't move the weight around any more... you would adjust the collective pitch precompensation in your FBL. That's what its there for. To adjust small balance issues that cause the tail to drop on vertical ascend (and vice versa).

I fly a G630 with 3300 batteries. Very small. The COG is actually off a bit outside of those specs even. The batteries can not go any further forward. It flies awesome. All out big air 3D and smack. The Vbar certainly helps.. but any FBL can manage if you're within these specs.

If your helicopter is just a tiny bit nose heavy from level... like -5 degrees into the -60 degree range... Its perfect. You want a tiny nose bias for FFF. And the tail will usually drop anyway if the COG is that dead level. I'll go out on a limb and say Align chopped the tail on the 550L to take care of this exact problem of past 550's being totally out of COG. Your helicopter should be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COG.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	625559  
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

strange... I am using a Pulse 5000mAh 45C 6S 22.2V battery and my stock 550L balances PERFECTLY. I attached a string to the blade grips and suspened it by a hook. Perfectly Level. Wonder how your could be off. Is it all stock? where is you ESC mounted?
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run an 8S setup (2x 4S/5000) on a 550 Pro DFC so it's quite nose heavy. FBL unit compensates perfectly - 100% non-issue for me.
EjectEjectEject is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi everyone! After my trex 550l dominator build I realized that its CoG is OK until I put the canopy! Then it becomes nose heavy! I use 5000mah bateries and don't plan to change them all, so do you guys are having the same issue? What is the best way to solve this?
If it's just the weight of the canopy that's not much
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in