Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CopterX CX 250SE FBL... Good kit?

Hi!

I'm searching a good kit (250 size) without electronics. CopterX 250SE FBL is cheap, but I don't know if it's good quality.

Opinions? Thanks!
VertCP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't got one myself, but its had fairly good reviews here. There are also some folks who think the CopterX head is better than the Align DFC.

For me, given the reviews, head design, and belted tail I'd definitely be willing to give it a try. In fact if I didn't already have two 250's that would be the kit I started from.

Even if you do have to replace some parts with Align ones (and I'd probably do that after crashes), it's a pretty good value kit to start from.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying the Hobbyking equivalent of the CopterX since January and I love it. I bought it as flybarred and then converted it to FBL by adding an Align DFC head and mini-Kbar.

It is decently made for the money and although it has really funky looking bearings, they are ball bearings and can be replaced as needed with better ones. Amazingly, mine have lasted so far. The tail belt has also lasted. I fly it at 3400 RPM, which might explain the better than expected bearing life.

I love the fact that a crash kit only costs $38...... an entire new airframe and blades

Paul
pgoelz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was not the experience I had with mine. Had to replace nearly everything that moves with Align parts. Now, it's my favorite daily flyer, but boy I had to work hard to get it working correctly.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
This was not the experience I had with mine. Had to replace nearly everything that moves with Align parts. Now, it's my favorite daily flyer, but boy I had to work hard to get it working correctly.
Was that because those parts were broken or non-functional? Or just because you wanted higher quality parts?

Yes, I'll agree that Align parts in some cases are "better" than the Hobbyking parts. But since the purpose of my project was to see just how far I could get on a $38 airframe, I left everything as-is and was quite surprised.

My kit was the flybarred version. I did have to work on one of the washout arms to fix a clearance issue but other than that and adjusting some of the linkages for better geometry, it flew right out of the box and flew well with no issues. I then converted it to FBL by adding the Mini Kbar and an Align DFC head and it flies GREAT. So technically I have replaced the head with Align parts. But I doubt that the Hobbyking head is any worse.

I am still waiting for (and expecting) those cheap rotating parts (and the tail belt) to fail, but so far they have not. I may help that I am flying at 3200RPM and have it perfectly balanced and vibration free.

By the way, I am using HS65HB ANALOG servos (because I had them) and the mini Kbar flies BEAUTIFULLY. I am a sport and mild aerobatic flier, and I love the smooth fluid feel to the heli with the servos and mini Kbar. And it is 100% rock solid stable with no wobbles or oscillations ever. I used to like my Bigaole FBL controllers but I have to say I like the mini Kbar even better still.

Paul
pgoelz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

IF " is the word here " IF you can find a Tarot 250 it's a good kit.... But hasn't been made in some time now....

I like the copper X head as my friend uses them on this 250's.... The Align DFC head works fine..... But its hard on servos in a crash and with lite weight servos... this isn't a good combo IF you crash it.

I run SUPER CHEAP 3 dollar servo's in my Tarot 250.... Ya its crashed many times and the servos are still holding up.... LOL There my best cyclic servos for a FB bird...

As far as one kit being better than the other.... I have a Align as well .............. and there were problems with that kit.. The ESC sucks and the motor really wasn't up to task with the stock ESC. The stock belts are not very good.... and lower frames break at the boom supports due to the screw being on the edge of the frame... Just wares right though after time. There is no fix but its there. The single bearing tail grips suck ... there are a lot of topics here on fixing that sloppy tail.

Tail servo !!!!! WOW this has been talked about sooooo much Ya.... its like that

So to say one is better than the other....... POO.... Build it and fly it... You see what you need to change to fit your flying needs....
Just remember to have fun !

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Was that because those parts were broken or non-functional? Or just because you wanted higher quality parts?
It was poor tolerances that created a lot of slope and vibes, enough to be a safety factor. Maybe things are better today, but in 2012 the quality of the CopterX 250 kit was far inferior to Align.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a nice build journal going but I've been pretty lazy with the project. So many setbacks while I could be flying other things.

The problem I'm having with the 250's is that the frame design is so old it is becoming difficult to work with relative to servo and FBL products. The cyclic range checks on vBar, IKON and even BX can be a problem. The tail end points can be a problem. Try to mess with links to compensate cyclic issues and either the head gets poor geometry or the links start hitting the servo case and/or you can't use extended balls. Then you resort to mounting servo's inside the case. That's a maintenance nightmare right there. God forbid you crash. Talk about bench time.

So those problems aren't even unique to any brand including Align. But now compound those issues by adding HK or CopterX component quality and precision. Thinner frame halves. Gears with poor castings (warpage etc). Brittle plastic. Its a formula for vibes. Hell my tail pushrod guides all snapped because of tail vibes. No crashes!

Hence the lack of progress in my journal. I love the 250 size but the current bird is very, very old and problematic and the knockoffs only offer more challenges.

To try to answer your question I think my CopterX is better quality than its HK counterpart. But is it worth it? I'm not even sure the Align version is!
ToddMcF2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I. . .The cyclic range checks on vBar, IKON and even BX can be a problem. The tail end points can be a problem. Try to mess with links to compensate cyclic issues and either the head gets poor geometry or the links start hitting the servo case and/or you can't use extended balls.
. . . I'm not even sure the Align version is!
Not sure why you had problems with a BeastX. Mine flies better than my 450 with an AR7200 installed in it. Tail issues are non-existent with the double-bearing tail mod and a good OMG H1 or 95i tail servo regardless of how horrible the rest of the mechanics are for the tail.

I use extended balls on my servos. Makes the geometry darn-near perfect regardless of which servos I use (OMG, Align, Emax, etc...). I have 7 of these airframes and all kinds of different sestups with no major issues.

I do agree that the 250 is a pretty problematic bird regardless of which kit you buy. I think if they could optimize it a little more it would be an incredible platform because in its current form it's not terrible, just finicky.
Getting back to the original question though, I do agree that the CopterX is the best option, even over the Align kit surprisingly enough. There are a few things that are nice to have as the original article, but CopterX surpasses all the other aftermarket offerings by a mile (ie, µHeli, Extreme, etc...). I wouldn't touch HK stuff with a 10 foot pole. Better off buying just to look at it, not fly it.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setting 6 degrees of cyclic in my setup was a problem with the AR7200. I setup the head for perfect 90 degree geometry but that meant the throw was too levered in the setup. I had to pull in the links on the horn. Problem is to pull them far enough in I had to dump the extended balls because they hit the servo case on the hole that would reach 6 percent. And of course by doing so I've compromised the original, perfect geometry.

The 250 needs a number of things including a better swash and grip setup that accomodates modern FBL's that expect certain precision in their cyclic throws. The best I could do is 8% on the Beast and for the VBar I'm completely out of range for the control loop.
ToddMcF2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's the thing though, you don't need to get wrapped around the axle on perfect 6* as soon as the blue light kicks on. I just go until it turns blue and take note how much pitch I have. If I'm still not at 6 I keep going. If I'm over 6 degrees and still don't have blue I go until I do and leave it. I've never had an issue on any of my helis doing it either way and I've done it way out on purpose just to see the difference.

I don't know much of anything about setting up a Vbar but I thought they used 8* for their loop?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Copter X is a good kit IMO. The alloy is a bit soft though, it seems most times I crash the swash driver arms need replacing. (Or straightening)! The head design seems very good, but I haven't tried Align.
grasshopper2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If i could go back in time i would have bought the copterx kit instead of the HK. I've had a lot of quality control issues with mine. Cross threaded screws on the pre-assembled parts, wobbling head/belt drive unit right out of the box, defective main gear/OWB, missing parts/incomplete hardware, VIBES! Pretty disappointing. I know it was a cheap kit but some quality control would have been nice. I've heard the Copter X kits were much better.

Actually what you should do (and what i really wish i did) was just spring for the Trex 250 kit. I really just wanted the Align frame but you cant buy them. I'm realizing now a lot of people buy the kits, keep the parts they want and just sell the stuff they don't want. Genuine Align parts bring tons of $ on ebay and they're an easy sell. Good luck with your build.
Firehawk54 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I could've had my choice knowing what I know now I would opted for the SE or the Pro kit from the get-go. I have about 7 total right now and only one is an SE and it's definitely my favorite. It's a lot more solid and everything fits together better than any of the clone or aftermarket stuff. I think of you're sporty flying or really not ripping on it them an older one would work great. It puts up with the beatings I put mine through and that should be enough for just about anyone
Old 04-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My copterx tail hub was a 1/8 inch longer on one side. I dicked with it for like an hour before I figured out why the piece of shit was binding so horribly. Still flew it once I put in a longer screw.
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying one for a couple weeks, not put that many flights on it as i had to keep adjusting tail gain and gains on the FBL unit itself so lots of hovers then backt o bench and hover back to bench but i finally got it flyable. ive been increasing the HS as i go i finally flew it yesterday at 100% tc its got some power but not as much as i remember other guys having with there real trex250 and all named brand electronics, of course i am flying 3-4 yr old batterys
Not really sure i can call mine a copterx heli tho, it has a Align DFC head on it, with a align tail boom. i guess the frame is copter x, and the motor, esc & cyclic servos are i put a tgy 306g on the tail cause i had it already.
The screws suck. ive got one that holds the tail case to the heli that the head is worn out and the tail case seems to be rotation some. ive got to get a trex 250 hardware kit ordered for it. need one for my 450 also
its fun to mess with i guess my ZYX unit flys it but i think i might try another fbl unit on it.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
My copterx tail hub was a 1/8 inch longer on one side. I dicked with it for like an hour before I figured out why the piece of shit was binding so horribly. Still flew it once I put in a longer screw.
I had similar problems with my CopterX tail hub. My final solution was an Align tail unit. Four years later, and it's still flying just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in