START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
gtrsteele
Registered Users

Default IR Readings

Why do I get alway gets high IR readings on the last cell of my lipos (happens with all of them) on my PL8? Tech support told me this is normal because if the way it calculates the IR, but my friends PL6 doesn't do this. Any explanation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
aziz76
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You may have a bad contact somewhere, probably on your main leads. I would check all the contacts make sure they are clean.

It's definitely not normal.

JETI DC-24
aziz76 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
Why do I get alway gets high IR readings on the last cell of my lipos (happens with all of them) on my PL8? Tech support told me this is normal because if the way it calculates the IR, but my friends PL6 doesn't do this. Any explanation?

Are you sure Wiring Mode is set correctly ? ... if it is set to FMA but should be XH, you can see last cell IR several times higher than actual. Is it a PL8 ?
RevoKelly is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
jrman83
Registered Users

I have noticed the same thing. I have a PL8 and have not changed the wiring mode. Does it comes preset to FMA?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I have noticed the same thing. I have a PL8 and have not changed the wiring mode. Does it comes preset to FMA?
They used to come preset to FMA wiring more, I'm not sure if this has changed. Either way, it's always best to confirm it's set to the correct wiring more.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
jrman83
Registered Users

Yeah, I need to go through all of my presets and make sure I am setup right. I may have skipped that in the midst of excitement to get packs charging.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
jrman83
Registered Users

Along the same subject, when charging multiple packs in parallel, are the IR readings shown an average of the aggregate?
Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
jcflyer
Registered Users

I use two PL8's and it is the wiring mode that needs to be changed...
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, I need to go through all of my presets and make sure I am setup right. I may have skipped that in the midst of excitement to get packs charging.
Actually, you really don't need to do that. The default out of the box presets are excellent.

The wiring mode is outside of the presets, it's a global setting.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Along the same subject, when charging multiple packs in parallel, are the IR readings shown an average of the aggregate?
Average. No chargers that I'm aware of can discern individual pack IR when charging in parallel.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
jrman83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
Actually, you really don't need to do that. The default out of the box presets are excellent.

The wiring mode is outside of the presets, it's a global setting.
It is as much to make sure all is setup right as it is to just more familiarization of the unit.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #12
jrman83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
Average. No chargers that I'm aware of can discern individual pack IR when charging in parallel.
That is what I thought, just wanted confirmation. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
jrman83
Registered Users

So I got into this when I got home and I can get to the change to XH and it works the right way. But, when I powered down after charging and then powered back up it comes up on the PL8 screen as "saving options" and when I start charging I notice last cell IR back up high like it was before. Get back into it and it has changed back to FMA.

When I make the changes I go all the way through but it is not saving. I have a PL8 and a bump. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
So I got into this when I got home and I can get to the change to XH and it works the right way. But, when I powered down after charging and then powered back up it comes up on the PL8 screen as "saving options" and when I start charging I notice last cell IR back up high like it was before. Get back into it and it has changed back to FMA.

When I make the changes I go all the way through but it is not saving. I have a PL8 and a bump. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Sounds like youre trying to make the change directly on the Powerlab - the Bump takes complete control over the Powerlab settings, so you have to make the change in Bump Options->Port Settings. Select ApplyAll and it will the setting to all 4 ports at once.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #15
jrman83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
Sounds like youre trying to make the change directly on the Powerlab - the Bump takes complete control over the Powerlab settings, so you have to make the change in Bump Options->Port Settings. Select ApplyAll and it will the setting to all 4 ports at once.
That is exactly what I was doing. Got it set correctly now, thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
gtrsteele
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
Are you sure Wiring Mode is set correctly ? ... if it is set to FMA but should be XH, you can see last cell IR several times higher than actual. Is it a PL8 ?

I had it set to FMA mode. Thanks! Do you know what the differences are between the two?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
I had it set to FMA mode. Thanks! Do you know what the differences are between the two?

The Powerlab manual explains the difference in wiring, but it is essentially a difference in how the last cell is connected and that difference in wiring causes the PL to try to measure the cell IR of the last cell using the wrong pin so it results in bad reading. Many other problems can arise too, depending on cell counts and voltages.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:

I believe it's covered in the manual. It's the original PowerLab wiring layout. You only need to us it if you're using the original FMA/Revo balance adapters.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
gtrsteele
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks

gtrsteele is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #20
Raptorapture
CHC Benefactor

Just have to add my two cents here. This is one thing that I've never resolved. You want to have the correct wiring selected for the balance board or pinout for the balance connector not for any other reason. I never managed to get rid of the last cell having high IR on the readings. I was told it is not a problem just an anomaly due to the way the paraboard works. I'm just a little concerned about the comment from RevoKelly that this is a problem and a risk. Please clarify. Also, the manual does not cover this anomaly nor describe how to fix it.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support