Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The heli is all repaired, I had the parts in stock lol....

All of this is just to make the system works before I build the ground station, so yea the box is cheese at best....

I estimate it got about 200 feet out, not far at all. seems as soon as the antenna was not facing the ground station, I lost signal. It flickered back for a few seconds but as the heli got closer to the ground, the signal got worse.?? I hope a patch and a little more of a remote testing location will solve the issue...

The FBL and a few multi-blade heads are on the way. so lots of testing to come...
Wilde Racing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buy yourself a co-pilot II from revolectrix.

Will give you the option to save it next time by stabilizing it in the air whilst you look for it.

Well worth the money.

A stabilization unit - be it a Co-pilot, skookum, fm, Heli Command is essential when learning to fly FPV.
markespina is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wild,

Have you considered using this kind of antenna?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=801

And the RHCP patch panel that they call out to use with these antennas. Now any time you have an antenna with gain, it will be directional not omni. So just like the yagi, you will need to keep the antenna pointed towards the heli. Did you by chance open the PDF file for the yagi? It will show you what I mean by beam. I am trying to find a ration pattern for a 8dbi patch panel.
HopSkipFlop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markespina View Post
Buy yourself a co-pilot II from revolectrix.

Will give you the option to save it next time by stabilizing it in the air whilst you look for it.

Well worth the money.

A stabilization unit - be it a Co-pilot, skookum, fm, Heli Command is essential when learning to fly FPV.
Thanks,
That is most certainly on my mind now. If the budget will allow it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSkipFlop View Post
Wild,

Have you considered using this kind of antenna?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=801

And the RHCP patch panel that they call out to use with these antennas. Now any time you have an antenna with gain, it will be directional not omni. So just like the yagi, you will need to keep the antenna pointed towards the heli. Did you by chance open the PDF file for the yagi? It will show you what I mean by beam. I am trying to find a ration pattern for a 8dbi patch panel.
Yea, I seen the Yagi and realized it would need to track the aircraft. I was under the impression the patch style needed to be aimed at the area the heli would fly? Would the clover leaf style you linked me to work better than a patch pointed at the heli?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems as though the cloverleaf style antenna in 910MHz is not available from anyone at the moment....
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, the benefit of the clover leaf antenna is that your heli will be at different angles while flying. Are you familiar with antenna polarization? There is loss when one antenna is vertical and one is horizontal. And if you read that link they talk about getting the patch antenna as an upgrade. Ok, as I said, any antenna that has gain, means that it is no long omni directional (true most of the time). Here is a picture to draw in your mind. Blow up a ballon. This is a omni antenna with the antenna in the middle of the ballon. Now this ballon represents lets say .5w transmitter. Now take that same .5w and put on a patch antenna or any other gain or beam antenna. Now take the knot and set it to point towards your chest and with the ballon between your hands and squeeze some (dont pop it). Notice as you squeezed it, the top got further away from the knot. But it was not as wide as it had been. This is the radiation pattern of a beam antenna. So, even the patch antenna will have an area in front that goes out further, but the side will cut the range and you will have no back receiver signal at all.

So back to the clover leaf antenna. No matter what angle the heli is in, you will still have an element that is the right polarization to the receive antenna.

Heck I like the idea of the patch antenna. Just pointing out that you will need to keep it pointed in the right direction, thats all.

You note that the clover leaf antenna is sold out every where. Could this be a sign to you about the popularity of this type of antenna for this purpose?

Last edited by HopSkipFlop; 05-28-2012 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: add last comment
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the fact the antenna is sold out does bod well for it's function, but it does little to help me right now. I'm an inpatient man.. lol

Thank you for the time to explain antenna function, and I think I understand, so the patch will do for now as long as it is aimed in the general direction of the heli. right? Once the clover leaf antenna becomes available I'll buy it along with a second receiver with one of the switcher thinggys....
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I also have been having a heck of a time finding cloverleafs for sale. They sure are super popular. Thankfully there's also alot of youtube videos showing how to make it, and it does seem pretty simple. Just some wire, coax, and soldering.

Love the cardboard box ground station btw, I'm so going to do that.
abcfob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wilde and abcfob,

Here is some good reading about clover leaf antennas. And if your good building things, this guy IBCrazy also gives details about how to build his antenna. I am to understand you can also buy from him, his antenna.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264

Last edited by HopSkipFlop; 05-30-2012 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: forgot to give the link
Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for posting that link, I have read some of the other antenna post by IB, but not that one....

Helicopter update;

I got a four blade tail on as well as a three blade head, just finishing up the Tarot install. I also have a four blade head and a 8 tooth pinion on the way. I'm hoping I can run at 80% with an 8 tooth.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 06-03-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

those cp antennas are great! i build a Skew planar wheel the cloverleaf and the helical antennas to save some money and learn in the process, both work really well. The most expensive part of either of them was the sma connector and the 50 ohm coax.
jfivecoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in