Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > Titan X50E

Titan X50E Thunder Tiger Titan X50E Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Purchased X50e kit... you may need to hold my hand

Hi everyone, so got me TT X50e kit at what I thought was a cracking price (AU$390)

I was planning to get the Gaui X5 Premo but couldn't resist this kit at this price.

I plan to run this on 12s with HV sevos. I've only ever used the AR7200BX but I'm

thinking of possibly going the Vbar on this bird.

My 1st question is do you think the 750mx(530KV) motor will be a good choice. I read that the

X50e can take upto 52mm diametre motor which is what the 750mx is. I''ve read some really

good reviews on it regarding the perfomance and they can be bought for $AU129 vs a Scorpion at $220+.

It's a real shame this sub forum doesn't get much traffic. The poor fellow asking about HK

HVservos has had no replies so I'm not hopeful I'll get all the info I need here in any short time like

you would other sub forums. Well I've put it out there now so we'll see how it goes.

There will be a few questions that people may regard as basic or even dumb as I'm not too

cluey when it come to the electric side of thing, regarding KV, amps, current draw blaah blaah,

I'll stop there as my head is starting to hurt already haha.

So 1st question is 750mx (530KV) yay or nay then I can go from there.

Many thanks and c'mon X50e pilots lets get the forum started
NightHawke 250 4S

Last edited by 347mont; 12-26-2013 at 07:56 PM..
347mont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think it would be excessive but the X50e is tail heavy anyway. It could use the extra weight up front.

You will like the X50e, it is my go to machine. Probably not much activity here because this bird is pretty straight forward and reliable.
Aziego is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziego View Post
Think it would be excessive but the X50e is tail heavy anyway. It could use the extra weight up front.

You will like the X50e, it is my go to machine. Probably not much activity here because this bird is pretty straight forward and reliable.
Welldone Aziego, thanks for your reply mate. Just as a point the Ac
e 50/06-50H motor that

you can have in the kit is 448g and the 750 530 KV motor is 452g. I was more concerened with fitment

but have since found out that the Ace motor I refered to is also 52mm diameter which is the maximum

sized motor you can fit in this heli, I just didn't know if that was pushing it. I feel more confidant now.

NightHawke 250 4S
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear that another x50e is about to get going down-under. Please do a bit of searching/looking in this sub-forum and I'm sure you will find lots of different setup options.

If this is your first big e-heli it probably is a very good idea to get some local help. You should also do a bit of work yourself and try to learn a bit about motor Kv's and gear ratios.

Lots of fbl systems out there as well. The ar7200bx is a very good one imho and since you are already familiar with it I'm not sure why you would want to try others. Your choice of course!

The only upgrade bits that I suggest you use from the start are the upper and lower metal bearing blocks (pv1406 and pv1407), ~$15 each. These are a big improvement over the stock plastic ones. They help stiffen up the frames and your main shaft bearings will last a lot longer imho.

I also suggest you order a motor mount adapter (pv1430), ~$5. Depending on the motor you select, this adapter will make it a lot easier to line-up the motor pinion with the maingear.

One of the main reasons I think that the TT X50e has not been more popular in Oz is that spare parts are not always available. I usually end up buying mine from tower hobbies.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Xera 4035 has a dia. of 49,5mm, there's about 3mm of clearance on each side.

The MX should fit..

I bougth, but did not use the motor adaptor (PV1430), even though my motor have a stepped shaft and circlip. Pinion and maingear still lined up perfectly..

+1 on the metal bearing blocks (PV1406/07), should be included in kit, imo.

Mine had a little play in the main blade grips, the grips had slight movement when pushing / pulling them.
A 7mm id, 0.2mm thick shim between damper and bearing solved it, one shim on each side, obviously.

I got a metal fb'd X50T head on my R50, it had similar play / "issue", did the same there.

It's definitely my favourite heli atm, predictable like the old Raptors, yet also fast, lite and agile.
"Silly" power on 12s...

Enjoy the build.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers Tom and Dumbthumbs for the advice.Yes I will definately get the upper & lower

metal bearing blocks and the motor mount adaptor, agreed should be standard with this

size heli.Oh and thanks for the heads up on shimming.

Yeah Tom I'll be fine with the build as I've built the Trex 500 no probs at all and did a nice

job with the wiring too and I've rebuilt my 450x and 300x more times than I like to admit lol.

Mechanically it'll be no problem, where I have to educate myself is on motor

selction,gearing and battery amps,watts etc and am currently doing so now, more than

meets the eye IMO. Very interesting though.Currently reading through this

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=64727

so back to it.Many thanks Wayne
NightHawke 250 4S
Old 12-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally do not like to run high head speed. I currently run 2000 HS on my X50e, i rarely go into idleup 3 which is set for 2100 HS. I have a Quantum 4125 560kv motor, to achieve that head-speed and keep the motor close to its efficient range, i put in a 13T pinion. With the stock 15T pinion and a 530 kv motor, it is more geared for 2300 and higher. You can of course reduce the headspeed with a lower throttle but it will be less efficient. You should get a 14T pinion if you do not like high head speed like me.
Aziego is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

As another who doesn't like high headspeeds, I use a 560KV motor(or may be 580, i forget, it's the older version of the hacker turnado) and 13T pinion on 10S. I fly it at 1980 and 1800 (only use two modes on this machine). I'd like to go much lower but haven't found the right combination to get the tail to work the way i'd like at lower revs. It's well below where the machine was designed to run and 1800 is as low as I can get the tail to work well as it is. I've played around with 1600 and it's nice to get the flight times up like my larger machines, but anything with some speed backwards, sideways, or pirouettting aerobatics, and the tail is just too far out of the range it's designed for. Power is still fine, with 605 vblades (and lots of pitch). It's been a while since I played with lower revs on that machine. I've been using it for fbl gyro testing and blade testing. Maybe it's time to get some more tailblades in different lengths and have a go at dropping the revs again.
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was thinking the 105's out of the E700 kit. You can add a few washers between the back landing gear and frame to get a little more clearance.
WessCo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah Wess, I've tried 105's, but couldn't get the right balance to also allow 1980, and i was too lazy at the time to play with servo arm length (which i think would have been the solution). I'll get back to the X50 setup at some point and get it tuned the way I want. i really want to get the flight time up to where my other machines are and now it's only 7 to 8 minutes due to the higher revs all the time.

Since I like to have multiple rpms on things with a wide range, it's kinda difficult to get a good tail balance. It's always a compromise. I'm gradually migrating to a narrower range, which makes things easier (only 1300~1750 on my E700 now, so it's pretty compressed compared to my other setups)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, so the kit arrived the other day and I've started the build

I started on bag A then came to a holt as I want to use the upper/lower cnc metal

bearing blocks so I'll have to order them and continue on the head when they arrive.

I then started on bag B and finished the tail boom bracket assembly.

I'll start on the frame a bit later today.

Anyways my latest question is will Align servo HSL7001 for cyclics
http://www.zeejayhobbies.com.au/serv...prod_6966.html

and Align HSL 75001 for tail

http://www.zeejayhobbies.com.au/serv...prod_6955.html

be a good choice for the money, they are around $120. Or can I get something

better for the same price range, a couple of bucks + or minus I can live with.

Many thanks, enjoying it all the way
NightHawke 250 4S
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Use what you can afford. The specs look good, plus there are a lot of Align servos being used.
WessCo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WessCo View Post
Use what you can afford. The specs look good, plus there are a lot of Align servos being used.
Well put Wess , really its as simple (or hard) as you want to make it, I've got to be more

decisive I'm always thinking what if there's something more suited and I could of got something better hehe.

As you said, and that was also what I was thinking, the price is good and the specs look good

and I can get them next day which is nice.

I'll see what is is around but won't procrastiate and see what compares, but these

Aligns HSL 70001 and HSL 75001 look like they'll be more than capeable.

Thanks
NightHawke 250 4S

Last edited by 347mont; 01-07-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So heres a few pics.

Let the fun begin, aaahh at last its here, Christmas delay

I had a flick through the manual and got the feel of they lay out as it were

and began on bag A

So as I mentioned earlier this is as far as I could go as I would like to

upgrade to the metal bearing blocks and will have to order those.

so not wanting to stall the build I proceeded to the next step, bag B

I didn't need any of the shims (item 8) to get the correct mesh for tail

gear B(item 7) and the tail drive gear (item 10) it all felt good.

So thats what I'm up to. I'll start the main frame to keep it rolling while I

wait for the metal bearing blocks. I'm yet to order as I'd like to order servos

at the same time. Pretty sure I'll go the Align brushless HV 700H/750H. Seem like good value
NightHawke 250 4S
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those servo's sound nice but servos like align ds615/ds655 would probably work very well on this heli for ~1/2 the cost. Because of the tt x50e bellcrank system you don't really need super-servos imho. Have a look at RC Pioneer (rcpioneer.com). Pretty good prices and very fast delivery. Wattsup is good too when they have stock.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shims

Just finishing mine! Just have to mount and program the ESC and put the throttle curves and pitch curves in.

Nice to see you are just beginning the build, had a nice time building her. I used one shim with the tail gearbox only, could have gone without any shims.

Two things I am/was worried about in my kit:
1. The tail blade controls were connected by two metal pins. Metal pins only! So I replaced it with the pins for the Raptor e550. On these pins are two locks so the pins are not able to slide out during flight.
2. The engine shaft (Turnigy T600) is not long enough to slide in the lower motor mount. So the engine is only connected by the four screws in the engine mount.

Anyone has an idea if point 2 is going to be a problem? Hope to maiden this weekend.
Mow Manten is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Manten View Post
Just finishing mine! Just have to mount and program the ESC and put the throttle curves and pitch curves in.

Nice to see you are just beginning the build, had a nice time building her. I used one shim with the tail gearbox only, could have gone without any shims.

Two things I am/was worried about in my kit:
1. The tail blade controls were connected by two metal pins. Metal pins only! So I replaced it with the pins for the Raptor e550. On these pins are two locks so the pins are not able to slide out during flight.
2. The engine shaft (Turnigy T600) is not long enough to slide in the lower motor mount. So the engine is only connected by the four screws in the engine mount.

Anyone has an idea if point 2 is going to be a problem? Hope to maiden this weekend.
Congratulations you're nearly there, how exciting. I'll have a good look at the tail blade controls you

mentioned, could be 4 brownie points deducted for the X50e. My 3 disappointments so far are
1. plastic bearing blocks
2. flimsy plastic receiver mount
3. plastic front servo mount.

Good luck with your maiden flight
NightHawke 250 4S
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope the maiden will be smooth indeed.

I already forget about the 'plastic front servo mount'. Mine broke when finishing the frame; but as expected, when the servos are in there, they are very secure and the flimsyness of the servo mount does not matter anymore.

Furthermore I am not sure the plastic bearing blocks are that bad. I remember reading that some people even prefer plastic bearing blocks instead of metal ones.

The receiver mount is excellent quality in my opinion; plenty of space for the electronics.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mow, without running the lower motor support bearing you may be fine for a while but the motor bearing wil wear prematurely. If that motor has a large bearing, then it may be Ok, otherwise you'll end up wearing that bearing sooner, and if it lets go then you'll need another maingear since the mesh will loosen. I'd highly recomment installing a longer shaft so it will engage the lower bearing. Another point to consider, if that motor has a soft shaft (flexible), you could also end up replacing maingears as they'll be stripping. anytime you have two gears they're constantly trying to "get away from each other" under load, hence the lower bearing to support the shaft on either side of the load.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Gwright,

Crystal clear explanation. I will maiden it (hover) this weekend with the current configuration, and will order a new motor for it so the high head speed will be done by an engine with a longer shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in