Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

View Poll Results: Did your X9303 have wire chafing inside upon inspection
Yes - My X9303 had a chafed wire 104 49.52%
No - My X9303 had NO chafing and was fine 106 50.48%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #81 (permalink)

I found several of you have chafing issue and most also have posted pictures to where the chafing is located. Thanks as this will definitely help others check their "toys" before the thing gets worse and gives damage to such pricey toy. But does anyone really know why this thing happens? What is the best solution to fix this?
Jill75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill75 View Post
I found several of you have chafing issue and most also have posted pictures to where the chafing is located. Thanks as this will definitely help others check their "toys" before the thing gets worse and gives damage to such pricey toy. But does anyone really know why this thing happens? What is the best solution to fix this?
the problem is there is a sharp chip on the back of the transmitter case that rubs directly on the wires as the gimbals are moved (you are effectively sawing the wire against the chip as you move the gimbals). relocating the wire, and using the shoe-goo to cover up the damage to the insulation IS the horizon-recommended fix.

this is all stated in the links on the first post, FYI.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #83 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71 View Post
the problem is there is a sharp chip on the back of the transmitter case that rubs directly on the wires as the gimbals are moved (you are effectively sawing the wire against the chip as you move the gimbals). relocating the wire, and using the shoe-goo to cover up the damage to the insulation IS the horizon-recommended fix.

this is all stated in the links on the first post, FYI.
+1

No worries since doing the fix.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is this chaffing still an issue with 9303 radios purchased in March of 09?
carzan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would check it. i just did my buddy's and it had already had the fix done from the factory, but it was still chafing. He bought it about 3 months ago and it only had about 75 flights and I could just barely see some wear on the black wire.
180cfx
str8huckin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought my X9303 in Feburary and there is sheet of clear plastic installed over the voltage regulator to prevent the regulator from cutting the wires. My wires still rub against that plastic sheet, which is annoying because I can feel it in the stick. I want to send mine in to have them install longer wires routed over the top of the right stick gimbals to avoid the rubbing altogether. At least the plastic sheet will prevent any damage that could cause a crash.
wilywampa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

how much does it cost to send it to the repair cnter?

Also what exactly is the shoe goo that JR says to put on the wire?

Last edited by MaSt0RaS; 05-21-2009 at 05:23 PM..
MaSt0RaS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSt0RaS View Post
how much does it cost to send it to the repair cnter?

Also what exactly is the shoe goo that JR says to put on the wire?
I believe Radio South gets $35.00 minimum bench charge. At least that is what he is charging me to repair a GY401.

Shoe Goo:
http://www.biosafe-inc.com/shoegoo.htm

I heard about the service bulletin back when it first came out and brushed off the importance of it. I thought it was probably the overly cautious safety pundits playing "Chicken Little". Earlier today for the first time I looked at the poll. Roughly half of the 9303 users have chafing. Yikes !

I had a loose throttle hold switch anyway so that was a second reason to take the back off. Sure enough my orange wire was 20% ~ 30% rubbed through to the copper. I have no idea how much longer I would have gone with a good aileron gimbal, maybe a year or longer. Who will know ? With my luck though, I can almost bet the wire would have failed while I was flying the new Trex 600 Pro nitro I am building. Or even better, on its maiden.

Bob
Bayward is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The later releases have the voltage regulator repositioned so as to miss the cabling.
theaton56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you know this?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I repair transmitters for the UK Distributor and the last 2 RF pcb's that I have had to replace have had the new style pcb fitted.

This has the voltage regulator repositioned to low centre of the pcb.

Initially JR released a modified pcb with a plastic strip running over the regulator until such time as they modified the build to reposition the regulator.
theaton56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

I just bought a trex 700 yesterday used and have been going over everything before I take it to the air, and the radio is one of the 9303's and sure enough it was chaffing. So as well as moving the wires I also put a small piece of the red tuck tape over the chip. After felling the side with no tape and the one with it, it made a huge difference on how smooth the edge felt. I thing just that alone would give 10 times more time before it rubbed through if at all, with just the tape. By the way this is my first post on here lol! Pretty much all I know and have learned is from helifreak. Thanks to all and bob fore sure for all the build vids, total lifesaver!
bmccowan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking thanks

I just bought a trex 700 yesterday used and have been going over everything before I take it to the air, and the radio is one of the 9303's and sure enough it was chaffing. So as well as moving the wires I also put a small piece of the red tuck tape over the chip. After felling the side with no tape and the one with it, it made a huge difference on how smooth the edge felt. I thing just that alone would give 10 times more time before it rubbed through if at all, with just the tape. By the way this is my first post on here lol! Pretty much all I know and have learned is from helifreak. Thanks to all and bob fore sure for all the build vids, total lifesaver!
bmccowan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks a million for this thread

Just bought a pre-loved dsx9 and stumbled upon this thread. Thank God I found the courage to open the tx cos there really was chafing! Did the mod and NO MORE rubbing of wire.

Thanks for sharing guys!!!
feudallordcult is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in