Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-rex 450 Sport V2 still a good buy?

Hello everyone!
I've learned a great deal from all of you, by reading through Helifreak's forum, thank you for that.
I'm considering buying a T-rex 450 Sport V2 (over the Pro or flybarless versions), since I'm only hovering with a T-rex 450 XL (old!!) that has been grounded most of the time, due to "pilot's error".
So, is the model still a good buy and could I upgrade it if I don't crash too much?
Thanks in advance.
lmccarreira is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just upgraded my chassis to the sport v2, and the quality and design seems much better. I'm still using the FB head and tail of an old SE v2. Waiting on a tail servo to see the in-flight difference. I'm curious which is better, the sport/pro style chassis-mount rudder servo or the sev2 boom-mount rudder servo?
jp0160 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the price isn't much different, I'd go with a Pro DFC, it has fewer parts in the head and is easier to set up, I love mine.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I prefer Sport V1 or V2 over Pro FBL/DFC. I have yet to find what the advantage of V2 head over V1 on Sport head, other than additional parts.

There are DFC head kit and TT assembly kit available for Sport. I wouldn't say that's upgrade, just matter of preference.

I own multiple of Sport and Pro. Sport in general is easier to maintain and repair IMHO. I hate working on Pro, especially initial set up or servo horn adjustment due to servo layout. Belt tail is so much easier to live with than TT. Additionally there is more room on Sport frame for electronics placement.
nameci is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply stevebtx12.
I'm only afraid that I buy the DFC with torque tube and since I'm a beginner the heli will be grounded because I hit with the tail. The belt is more forgiving, isn't it?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The belt forgives a looot.
Several times flying low to the ground, had slight tail strikes with my Sport, didn't even stop flying.
On one occasion i was doing aileron loops, tail touched the ground on the low part of the loop (obvious) and the tail fin forced the tail case to spin 30º. Didn't broke the fin (lucky me)kept flying a bit with that funny twisted tail and landed with no issues.
Belt will save a lot of time, money and sessions.
Nothing worse then having to stop flying due to some fragile gears, not that i know, never had a TT heli.
And the Sport frame is much roomier, PRO is not as easy to wire and organize gear.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sport frame with SEv2 bottom plate widen's it up a bit too, I have a TON of space to mount electronics, lots of room for fpv gear!
jp0160 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sport it is.

Thank you all for your advice and I think that the Sport is just what I need:
- more space to work on and for electronics;
- belt more forgiving;
- easy to repair (less the head) because of the extra space.
I'll have a Pro when tail strikes will be less common!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I have the sport V2...

... it was my first real heli. Nice machne to learn the basics on. Now that Im moving up to a larger heli I am converting it to FBL using the RJX head to keep around as a park flying machine.

That way I get a FBL 450 that has the durability of a belt tail and doesn't have to run the very high headspeeds DFC heads need. Perfect for my sport/beginner 3D flying style.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccarreira View Post
Thank you for the reply stevebtx12.
I'm only afraid that I buy the DFC with torque tube and since I'm a beginner the heli will be grounded because I hit with the tail. The belt is more forgiving, isn't it?
Yep, as stated in other posts, the belt is more forgiving, that said, I've had a couple of minor tail strikes with no damage so far (maybe I'm just lucky )
Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By all means get the sport, I'm flying a Sport v2 still and love it. And like someone said before, get the DFC Head. I have my Belt Driven tail and DFC Head. Best of both worlds... I even have the DFC Head for the Pro, only difference from DFC Sport, and DFC Pro is color

Ritlee is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ritlee for your ideas, if I evolve enough with my pilot's skills (and have the money!) the DFC head will be a great option!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccarreira View Post
Thanks Ritlee for your ideas, if I evolve enough with my pilot's skills (and have the money!) the DFC head will be a great option!
Opinions are like... well... everyone has one... but here's mine...

Spend the couple bucks more for FBL... if you aren't afraid of a computer, and learning how to do a digital setup.
Don't wait for "skills" to develop, I spent a year+ off and on trying to set up my FB 450. A week after going FBL I did nose in for the first time. A week after that I went inverted for the first time (intentionally).

Some people can get all those mechanical links adjusted perfectly. Others, like me, can't, and the computer setup is easier.

Ritlee is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritlee View Post
Opinions are like... well... everyone has one... but here's mine...

Spend the couple bucks more for FBL... if you aren't afraid of a computer, and learning how to do a digital setup.
Don't wait for "skills" to develop, I spent a year+ off and on trying to set up my FB 450. A week after going FBL I did nose in for the first time. A week after that I went inverted for the first time (intentionally).

Some people can get all those mechanical links adjusted perfectly. Others, like me, can't, and the computer setup is easier.
Thanks Ritlee for your opinion and I agree with you when you say I should not wait for "skills" to develop. I have been too afraid to risk and I've been stuck in the hover.
Thank you everybody for your opinions and support!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly FB, and just bought a 450 FBL. I'll do whatever it needs to fly FBL, it looks so much cleaner!

FB is more forgiving but FBL is the evolution.
Calil is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calil View Post
I fly FB, and just bought a 450 FBL. I'll do whatever it needs to fly FBL, it looks so much cleaner!

FB is more forgiving but FBL is the evolution.
Yes, FBL requires a better machine, regarding to vibes and hardware, but it pays off with a SIM like stability, much more predictable flight, much better in general.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've had a Sport V1 for a long time, and many flights. Still flies just fine, and I really now appreciate what it takes to get a head set up correctly. It can be very frustrating at times, but it's really a black and white deal....you can confirm if it's correct or not. Resolving analomies is not so straightforward, but that's why it's a hobby.

Ken
Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

I flew my V2 sport for about a year and enjoyed it's more subtle flight characteristics. I bought the pro V2 (non DFC) afterwards and enjoyed its more precise and immediate responsiveness. Broke tail gears a few times easily which was frustrating. Built a 550DFC WITH AR7200BX and loved it as I realized the benefits of the BX. Upgraded the sport to a DFC head and BX. The BX is easy to install and configure with precise configuration directions. I like the combination of systems I now have on the Sport. I use to dread rebuilding and preferring the Sport FB head set up not to mention all the parts, access and bearings that effected stake flight if worn/loose. I have only had the upgraded sport for a short time and look forward to making comparisons with the pro. I must say though the BX makes quite a difference and allows for greater confidence with flight responsiveness. Please post any updated experience (s).

Happy flying!!
AR7200BX FBL. DX6i

Last edited by Victor Kovalev; 01-01-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Victor Kovalev is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really like my Sport V2!, Everything is stock except the thrust bearing tail grip, and a Spartan Quark gyro, Flies great!.......
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounded to me like budget is a big concern and it is for me as well. I know the hobbyking 450's are inferior but I set them up for around $120 top to bottom (flybar version) with a cheap digital tail servo and a gy48v gyro for $14 bucks. If you are just learning it's a lot easier to stomach drilling in a cheap machine than a nice name brand DFC.
I guess it's an issue of quantity over quality but I don't think having the nicer version is going to stop you from loosing orientation and having a yard sale.
brucejennerrules is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in