Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need help

tt

Last edited by Birdman4498; 03-10-2012 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: wrong location
Birdman4498 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Settings Flymentor with KDS TX

Dear Experts ,

I hope you can help solving an annoying problem with a KDS FlyMentor on a KDS450S with KDS K7XII transmitter.

I have made all settings according to the information in (also) this thread, but there is still a problem with the FM tailgyro.

After starting up the tailslider moves slowly to the left and 'remains there'. If given left input the servo/slider reacts but after letting go of the stick, moving again back to the left. The gyro still functions though. Gyro setting in tx is +42.
If gyro settings are altered to +17 the tailslider still moves to the left, but the movement is slower (and also if set to higher values, the movement is quicker)
Gyro gain set to +16 (or lower, even to -100): slider stays in the middle, responds to both left and right input. Gyro also works, but not in HH mode (as expected) but in Rate mode. Even if gyro gain is set to 0 [zero] the gyro still works.
Attached is an excel sheet with all data, set in Helibal, TX and FM.

I hope anyone recognizes this issue and can giev me the solutiion.

Best regards,
Robbie
Attached Files
File Type: xls Settings KDS with FlyMentor Eng.xls (25.5 KB, 875 views)
Rubberenrobbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

That happens to mine. It works fine when it is in flight. A lot of people report this problem and one guy posted a YouTube video where he applied a few clicks on the transmitter to correct it. I tried it but it left me with a little tail movement. If you don't like the way they tail gyro works you can use a regular tail gyro instead of using the one in the fm.
Madhampster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberenrobbie View Post
Dear Experts ,

I hope you can help solving an annoying problem with a KDS FlyMentor on a KDS450S with KDS K7XII transmitter.

I have made all settings according to the information in (also) this thread, but there is still a problem with the FM tailgyro.

After starting up the tailslider moves slowly to the left and 'remains there'. If given left input the servo/slider reacts but after letting go of the stick, moving again back to the left. The gyro still functions though. Gyro setting in tx is +42.
If gyro settings are altered to +17 the tailslider still moves to the left, but the movement is slower (and also if set to higher values, the movement is quicker)
Gyro gain set to +16 (or lower, even to -100): slider stays in the middle, responds to both left and right input. Gyro also works, but not in HH mode (as expected) but in Rate mode. Even if gyro gain is set to 0 [zero] the gyro still works.
Attached is an excel sheet with all data, set in Helibal, TX and FM.

I hope anyone recognizes this issue and can giev me the solutiion.

Best regards,
Robbie
It is a piezo gyro and that is normal behaviour. In HH it will move to one end when the heli is at a standstill, it is normal and does not cause a problem.
In normal mode it will centre.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default vibes

Hello all,
Just finished reading this entire thread, very helpful. I'm just preparing to install a FM on a 500, and am choosing locations for the various components. Referring to the vibration problem, is it just the FM gyro or other gyro that is sensitive, or is the FM box itself in need of insulation from vibration?
best regards.
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by salience View Post
Hello all,
Just finished reading this entire thread, very helpful. I'm just preparing to install a FM on a 500, and am choosing locations for the various components. Referring to the vibration problem, is it just the FM gyro or other gyro that is sensitive, or is the FM box itself in need of insulation from vibration?
best regards.
Just the gyro but it is a good idea to mount the main controller with foam.
Follow the instructions in the sticky that say's Please read first at the top of the section.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ivor,
I did scan the sticky and printed it out to take up to the shop today, but didnt see anything about foam mounting the controller. If I might consult your expertise once more, are the vibrations we are trying to isolate the gyro from low-frequency, such as wagging and jello-type wiggling, or medium to high frequency that might be emanating from the motor and gears? Or both? I'll be using both the FM gyro and a Quark and am considering mounting both on a carbon plate with vibration cushions for each gyro, and then mounting the carbon plate on the bottom frame-plate also using some cushions. Think this double-isolation idea might have some merit? Or maybe it's overkill...
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is no problem to mount both gyro's on a plate I have done it many times. I would use a normal gyro pad to mount the plate and Align or Zeal PUGel to mount the gyro's.
The pad material should insulate the gyro from vibration caused by gears etc but not so soft that the gyro would sway with the movment of the heli.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile flymentor

I have 4 trex clones ,all set up with flymentor , each system/unit is an individual ,reacts differantly etc , i copied the parameters almost exact aprt from levelling swash etc , they all have differant tail gyro settings and one heli is a beauty ,sits perfectly almost in position mode ,
I am slowly winding it off as i get more time up ,it has been the best investment i have ever made. i have not had a decent stack since i got them installed .

Sometimes i forget to engage the fly and i do a some good flying before i almost crash and then quickly engage it .
Josh
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flymentor servo reversing

Hi ,Does anyone know what the helibal designates servo 1,2,3 etc in the servo reverse setup of helibal , it would be so much easier to setup the fm instead of trying differant combinations .

Left aileron ? right aileron ,elevator etc
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post
Hi ,Does anyone know what the helibal designates servo 1,2,3 etc in the servo reverse setup of helibal , it would be so much easier to setup the fm instead of trying differant combinations .

Left aileron ? right aileron ,elevator etc
If it's a trex or trex clone with rear mounted elevator then it is clearly shown in the manual in the diagram beside the servo reverses and explaind in the instructions at the top of this section.
Looking at the heli from the rear the servo that operates the left side of the swash ( aileron ) is No 1. The servo that operates the right hand side of the swash ( pitch/aileron 2 ) is number 2. The elevator servo is number 3.
If it's a different make of heli with the elevator servo controlling the front of the swash then 1 and 2 need to be reversed. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fly mentor pitch issue

Thanks for your input about flymentor. I have a Futaba radio with an Electron 6 radio. If I tip the flymentor left to right, the swashplate follows corectly. Tipping front to back only causes the swash plate to move just a little bit. I tried your suggestion with swithing the plugs on FM but this didnot help. Also I have verified all the wireing as per your reccomendations. Any suggestions? Is my FM or Gyro bad?

lh37696 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh37696 View Post
Thanks for your input about flymentor. I have a Futaba radio with an Electron 6 radio. If I tip the flymentor left to right, the swashplate follows corectly. Tipping front to back only causes the swash plate to move just a little bit. I tried your suggestion with swithing the plugs on FM but this didnot help. Also I have verified all the wireing as per your reccomendations. Any suggestions? Is my FM or Gyro bad?

I assume that when you say left to right the swash follows you mean the swash moves in the opposite direction to correct.
The swash movement is less front to back 70% of the side to side movement.
Be sure the elevator gain on the advance page is set to 7.
Be sure the elevator servo is moveing in the correct direction to tip the swash. If it is moveing in the wrong direction the swash will move up and down the shaft as if you are applying collective pitch ( throttle ) when you tip the heli front and back.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

now i am so frustrated to my FM for my Blade 450 3D. need help please . idid all the wiring but no power when i connect the battery.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check that the reciever is operating by connecting a servo directly to it. The lead with 3 wires on FM should be connected to the aileron channel or the reciever, if it is connected correctly and the reciever is live FM should power up.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Check that the reciever is operating by connecting a servo directly to it. The lead with 3 wires on FM should be connected to the aileron channel or the reciever, if it is connected correctly and the reciever is live FM should power up.
now i have a power. now do i need to set my DX6i swash type to 1 servo or 120?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

1 servo
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
1 servo
i did try the 1 servo. i went out and try it but my B450 3d is drifting left so bad and a lot of shaking.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it is moving left all the time then the swash it not set correctly, it needs tipping right useing the aileron neutral in the programme and if the heli is shaking then balancer gain is to high.
Please read and follow the PLEASE READ FIRST sticky at the top of the section.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If it is moving left all the time then the swash it not set correctly, it needs tipping right useing the aileron neutral in the programme and if the heli is shaking then balancer gain is to high.
Please read and follow the PLEASE READ FIRST sticky at the top of the section.
thanks ivor for the reply. i have a video and pictures that i post please let me know what i need to do. sorry for being newbee on this FM.

here's my post:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...88#post4382488

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in