Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 03:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Finless,

My post served a simple purpose:
You were having a hard time accepting that the tail shown in all of the videos released by Ready Heli was stock. I moved to show you that the tail is indeed stock. That was the entire purpose of my post.

Please read the specs post that you asked for again: https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic....hlight=#362539 . The tail issue that you're talking about is not ignored or hidden..

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
How many Align one ways have locked up but heck Alan and Jason fly the crap out of them and dont go posting on fourm that this is a huge problem.
And that makes it OK huh? That's a problem in my opinion!
I was there too and I was here on forums back then complaining of the same thing I am complaining about here!
I am sure Align wasnt too happy with me at times and Hirobo once called me up to bitch at me for saying I had a problem with a design! Check my Lepton build thread.... Same thing! I aint going to stop so get use to me calling out when I know there are things that need to be fixed to have a heli fly like that "out of the box" reliably!

Quote:
BTW if you didnt catch what Chris said, they are working with Gaui to help inprove their heli. He has to fly it to know what it can do and well what you see is what it does out of the box...
Yes I did and I know he is! I think that is great too... It will help this heli get better! But since he is testing what is always missing from vids like this is "I was testing and here are the issues too with it out of the box". I was hoping things might change for a change!

I get freakin 50 PM's a day from people asking me what to buy because of vids like this that dont share the entire story! See my tag line? I hate answering those type of questions because I also have to tell them what the problems are as well. All I am saying is it's time to be more upfront with consumers. So it is the stock tail and you got it working...... If you think I am upset because I guessed that wrong... think again.... But you also know it isnt right "out of the box" so share those observations when vids like this are released and "your just testing".

Had I not not started this bitch session would people know this? I kind of doubt it!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, i appreciate your desire to maintain integrity...its paramount. Our very first kit we threw the tail in the first test flight, at lower headspeeds, and since you knew this test result from our phone conversation, i suspect that you feel all kits may be culprit...and you are fair in your assumption. No argument here.

We have logged dozens of flight with the new machine, built exactly as the first one, with the exception of the revco gears and pinions. Only time will tell when the tail blows up. I know you may also perceive me as being the cheesy salesman in here...i understand your concern...but behind my interest to promote a product is the belief i have in its own integrity. Again, only time will tell if the tail blows up.

In our second test video, we did and are continuing to have tail issues. If any knows how difficult it can be to track down the issue in a tail, its you. We had tail holding issues yesterday as well. Damn Chris Harmon has to make it look so easy. ;-) We are not trying to hide anything, and we even say in the video that the tail is not holding.

Our next video we will get a closeup of the tach, and tail to dispell any misbeliefs. Again, we love the heli, and we are committed to getting it dialed in so others will not have to make expensive mistakes doing so. Our dialogue with the factory is helpful too.

John

PS: I think we should make a new thread because I dont want this one to be hijacked by us talking about the tail.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless
Nice Tom!

So now your on 6S... whats the pack and motor?

Bob
Oh, same motor, same pinion and my old 5S 4000mA packs from MaxAmps (on the video). The only thing changed are the packs, I now use 3200mA 6S packs. 6S is offcourse more fun, even if you don't get the same flighttimes.

I use the stock tail, no problem with kicking or anything else. My HS is around 2350 I guess (on 6S). Acctually, I never had any heli that is as good on the tail (stock) as this one, with only a 401 to keep it there. Maybe, just maybe you have some hidden problem with yours?

I have not tried 2600rpm in HS, so maybe when I do, I will start notice problems as well. Anyway, tomorrow the new M1110 motors arrive from Gaui, I will try one as see if it beats the Z30. A friend in Taiwan reported a very high HS with the new M1110 motor. Over 2600 rpm's!
Tom Viper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hey John..... Nope I dont think your a cheesy salesman
You and Chris are probably the best thing that could have happened to this heli as I said in my first post in response to your vids....

The tail issue is not just because of our phone convo.. I had problems as well as you know.

Anyway glad to see you giving the facts
I like that!

Tom, the tail hub design is a problem in my opinion. Same design and problem the Logo 14 has which is why they have an upgrade. Same as Align tail and they eventually changed it. The design works OK at lower head speeds but starts to have problem as you go higher. Like the logo and Align tails some folks dont have a problem and some (many) do. You start pushing this design as Chris shows and it starts to show itself. Heck i cant fly like that and I had similar issues.

Anyway I know John and Chris will work with Gaui so things will only get better!
I will tell you this. It's not as bad as many other electrics (like the Trex450) when they first came out!!!

Re: flight time.... 2500ma packs I dont think will cut it long term. 4 minutes is all I get and I dont push it near the level Chris is. I was thinking a smaller motor with higher head speed would help. The Lepton didnt come alive until 2900hs. This heli is a little bigger of course so 2900 would be way too much.. I am thinking 2600 myself is the target speed for this heli. BUT 2500ma still probably wont give much more flight time. The 2500's are a great fit for this heli but 5 minutes of this kind of flying would be nice!

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think with some simple frame mods we could fit 6S 3300-3700 cells. It may involve redistributing the electronics and maybe moving the servo to the boom in order to get the GC right but I think its do-able.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I think with some simple frame mods we could fit 6S 3300-3700 cells. It may involve redistributing the electronics and maybe moving the servo to the boom in order to get the GC right but I think its do-able.
are you kidding me? Betwen bob, you and the rest of us their is so much talent we could build our own heli company, lol.

everything is possible thru desire and ingenuity. and bob. and rh.

;-)
Old 06-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yea some stuff needs to move around. 6S 3300 might be the ticket but there goes the disk loading. I wish FP had something at 3000.....

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

they do at 3200, ;-)

ill let you know how we get them to cg and what kind of flight times bob.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Those are the 30C packs. The 30C packs are heavier in relation to the 25C packs so you know. They are also almost $300 for 6S vs $200 for 3300's!
Yes let me know and if they are good I will get some but I think the 33's will be a better fit.

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Hurricane is still really light.

The weight diff between 2 Flight Power 2500 3s packs and a 6s pack of Flight Power 3300's is 97g (3.4oz). Thats not a lot of added weight.

I think the larger cells current suppling capability would actually improve performnace.

If we can figure out a 5s setup then you are at a 30g weight increase...thats nothing.

I am thinking a Neu 1512/2Y (1400kv) could run on 6s with a 18T pinion and RevCo gear (2500rpm Head Speed) or 5s with a 22T pinion and gear at the same head speed.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

John - Although the Evo 30's are lower capacity they are bigger heavier cells. The larger size is all about lowering the internal resistance so they can dump the big current without heating up.

The 6S Evo 30 pack is 600g. An Evo 25 3700 is 564g and a 3300 is 515g. 2 - 3S 2500's are 418g
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

i know but we are killing the 2500's...we want to go up in headspeed and try the 23t pinion, but not at the expense of losing another minute...thoughts?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3300's are the lightest and will get you 25% more flight time. You have 3700's in your shop those might be worth a try too.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

are 3300's still avail from fp?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know...I just buy stuff...you are the guy with all the connections...lol!

I know Thunder Power still sells Extreme 3300's (same cells as Flight Power).
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes 3300's are still available!

Hmmm I have some 4,5, and 6S 3700 packs.... 4S wont do as that flew the Lepton for 5 minutes. I used 5S and 6S 3700 on my swift and 5S got me 5 minutes with the 600+ motor swining 550mm blades. It;s mounting them thats a problem unless the frame is modified.

Bob
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also feel 3 oz isn't going to effect this heli too much as it feels pretty light for the rotor size, although I'm not sure what Johns weighs. If it becomes a problem we can always custom fit 9650's (should help with CG issues as well) or 550mm blades...or both. I did some research and FP has some very light cells available with a decent 18C discharge rating,

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRVT3&P=7

Two of these wired in series would weigh in about the same as 3200's. They have a lower discharge rating but are capable of 76 amps cont vs 62 amps cont for the 2500 25C cells. I think this would get finless his 5 minutes of HARD 3D :twisted:
ChrisT88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #39 (permalink)

2 x 3S3300 is easily viable with little or no modding to the chassis. I just added a plate to the bottom battery mount to take the longer length of the 3300 cells.

It runs from just in front of the foremost skid, along the bottom chassis sides and touches at the front-most point of the existing bottom battery area. There is a small triangular gap between this plate and the existing area intended for the battery.

As for CoG with heavier cells... easy! Take the tail servo off the chassis, and P-clip it to the boom. Just move it back to get the CG right and then make a push-rod to suit this new position. A few $ of parts to get P-clips... Swift ones work, and I expect TR600 will as well.

Kev
Skaross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

My HF Map location

10S A123 anyone? shotgun config strapped under the heli between skidds? or is the frame wide enough to fit them side by side?

My logo 10 runs 10S with almost 12 minutes of flight time, Z30 800 a and CC45HV,

10S is 33.3 nominal, 36volts full cap, and sag to about 26 volts under load.

They weigh the same as a 6s1p 4900 and if mounted under can be maneuvered to CG correctly.
Gaui 200
Trex 450 SE V2 Dedicated night Rig
Cryofix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in