Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best tail for HP05

What is the best tail to use on a HP05 setup? 7mm motor or sr120 and what lenght for the boom?
tanman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
What is the best tail to use on a HP05 setup? 7mm motor or sr120 and what lenght for the boom?
Just stick with the extended boom (14cm). I can't speak for the 7mm motor, but the SR120 is solid for the HP05.
alex7703 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best is kind of subjective..... probably the hp03t though. Like the 7mm, but I am in the minority on that one! I also think the sustained higher RPM is hard on the brushes. The 120/plant holds very good at all pitch settings, I just do not like the weight. Dual 6mm worked very well for me also, without being as heavy. I still want to try a geared 7mm.
http://www.hawk-rc.com/index.php?rou...product_id=504
motoracer5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The dual 6mm setup works great for me. It's practically bullet proof on the HP05.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dual tail is a minimum, but you will have to take it easy still.

120SR tail + plantraco will hold perfectly but is heavy. Doesn't require too much extra work tho.

Best is brushless tail, but it's more expensive and labour intensive to put together.
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great info! Thanks
tanman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have gone double 6mm with a 145mm boom. I HAD to solder direct to the main board, but i suspect my connectors were pretty crappy. I am surprised people say that the brushless tail works, because according to that mapping table out there, the dual 6mm should be plenty, and the brushless tail should be too much power.

Although, now that I try to remember it a bit, I think that mapping table was for the HP05S. I too have just the "HP05", and not the "S". I am not aware of a difference between them and did try a google at one point. Is ours faster?
helinos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the HP05 is 12500 and the HP05s is 14000. Could be wrong though. There are lots of HP motors1
motoracer5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helinos View Post
I have gone double 6mm with a 145mm boom. I HAD to solder direct to the main board, but i suspect my connectors were pretty crappy. I am surprised people say that the brushless tail works, because according to that mapping table out there, the dual 6mm should be plenty, and the brushless tail should be too much power.
The table is mostly invented from my (limited) experience and imagination. I've yet to manage to get a real expert to look over and improve it despite several complaints.

Experts: Anybody can edit a wiki, so if something looks off then please don't hesitate to fix it. Less work than complaining about it here, certainly.

Perhaps I should add a footnote in the mean time. . . .
Spektrum DX7s
GeneralAntilles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the table is reasonablly accurate. It just depends on what your idea of "tail hold" is.

I found with the dual-tail on the HP05s, while the tail does hold about as well as an unmodified MCP-x , it's crap compared with the bigger upgrades like the 120+plant prop and BL tail. It'll "hold", but don't try 3D or aggressive recoveries.

It IS much lighter than the 120 tail, despite using it with an extended boom the balance is still better with a dual-tail than with a 120, but once you've had more tail holding power you'll wonder why you ever stuck with the dual-tail.

I actually now have a stock, stock extended, dual-MCX, 120 and BL tails around to swap on and off, maybe I should take some videos. I leave the extended/stock tail on my C05 bird, I had the dual on the HP05 until I decided to try the 120, then I used the BL and only put the 120 back on when my tail ESC burnt out for some reason. After flying the BL tail tho, the 120 felt so heavy and I went and bought a toolstick to flash one of my spare XP7as as my tail ESC until my new XP3a from Astroid came in. I'd never go back to the 120 or dual tail of I could avoid it.
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naito View Post
I think the table is reasonablly accurate. It just depends on what your idea of "tail hold" is.

I found with the dual-tail on the HP05s, while the tail does hold about as well as an unmodified MCP-x , it's crap compared with the bigger upgrades like the 120+plant prop and BL tail. It'll "hold", but don't try 3D or aggressive recoveries.

It IS much lighter than the 120 tail, despite using it with an extended boom the balance is still better with a dual-tail than with a 120, but once you've had more tail holding power you'll wonder why you ever stuck with the dual-tail.

I actually now have a stock, stock extended, dual-MCX, 120 and BL tails around to swap on and off, maybe I should take some videos. I leave the extended/stock tail on my C05 bird, I had the dual on the HP05 until I decided to try the 120, then I used the BL and only put the 120 back on when my tail ESC burnt out for some reason. After flying the BL tail tho, the 120 felt so heavy and I went and bought a toolstick to flash one of my spare XP7as as my tail ESC until my new XP3a from Astroid came in. I'd never go back to the 120 or dual tail of I could avoid it.
That might be your experience, but mine is totally different. My dual coreless holds perfectly fine, MUCH better than the unmodified mCPX you reference. Matter of fact, it hasn't blown out on me yet. I have no doubt the 120 SR or brushless would hold "better", but I don't want all the weight of the 120 tail on an HP05 powered heli, and I would rather save the brushless setup for one of the higher powered conversions, if and when I get around to one. For the record, I would argue that perhaps your dual coreless setup(s) had some issue which prevented them from performing to their potential. They definitely are not "crap", they just don't have the potential of the other aforementioned tail setups.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Here is my HPO5 with the sr120 tail motor and full tail blade plus a video with the HPO8 with the sr120 tail motor. Been working for me.

Mcpx HPO5 not flashed esc (5 min 7 sec)

Mcpx HPO8 flashed esc (4 min 54 sec)

Be blessed
Isaac

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

My tail length is 5¾ inches long. (Boom)

Be blessed
Isaac

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find that the dual tail works just fine on my co5m and hp05s birds. I really like the 120sr/plant tail on my hp05s.
MCPX BL(#1 V1 Hp05s/120SR tail, V1 C05m/Dual coreless tail)
Nano cpx stock
Trex 450 Pro, Spektrum Dx6i, Phoenix
tommy217xxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in