Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX 7S anyone ???

I am considering to replace my old DX 7 with this new radio. 7 channels is all I will ever need. After reading all the negative posts in here I am not confident buying the DX 8 as it was plagued with issues since it's launch. Maybe they have all been addressed and resolved by now but the level of my confidence in this radio is very low.... Any thoughts or real life experience with DX 7S would be welcome...
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw on a frequent RC parts site a released date posted of 10/13/2011 just a few days ago but they took it down.

Hopefully around that time we will here some real hands on reports.

Looks like like you will have to ask Burt Kammerer until then
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The current dx8 radio is all sorted as per problems and is a much better option than the DX7 for heli flying.
For instance, how would you like to have just one flight mode instead of the 3 you are used to? I suppose you could frig with the dual rates etc to give you a different feel but at the end of the day it is a compromise. The 7 is a good radio if you are coming from a dx6i but not a great option if you are coming from a DX7. I have owned the DX8 from the outset and mine has been faultless, I did however have my doubts after reading the reports on forums but mine has been fine, and so have my friends, if you get the one with the 2 receivers you can flog one of the receivers on to re coup the extra layout and enjoy the added functions the DX8 gives you.
Check out the differences between the 2 sets and see if the 7 is exactly what you want before you totally discount the DX8
Busher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I can tell with the DX7s you are limited to 2 flight modes not one(normal and idl1).
This is a small compromise I guess if you really need 2 idleup modes.If 3 flight modes is absolutely essential then the 8 may be a better choice.Personally I generally only use
normal and idl1 so I dont think it would be a sale killing point for me or any of the avg flyers.Just my opinion.
As far as the DX8 I can say I was very concerned about many of the reports of problems.While Im not trying to say that the issues have not existed for a few I just tend to believe they are blown way out of proportion to the total number of actual users.Ive had mine for over a year and have had no serious problems.The 4 others I know that have them are in the same boat.Most of them have sent them in simply because they were alarmed by various reports from others and not due to the performance of their specific radio.Like I said they sent them in because someone scared them and it was giving them a warm fuzzy secure feeling to have sent them in even if they didnt have a problem.If thats what gives a person confidence then I cant argue with it I guess.I have not heard a single report of radios with issues from the current production batch.I also havent heard of anyone who recently sent theirs in for repair and got it back with continued problems.If that was the case Im faily sure we would hear 100 reports if there was even only 1 or 2 with an issue.Thats kind of how internet forums seem to work many times.You hear all the problem reports multiplied by a factor of others who repeat and mimic the actual reports.Many seem very quick to tell of how they hear about bad things but rarely do you hear ppl repeat about how they hear good things.Funny how that works but it does have its own reality today.
I honestly dot see any real reason to expect having any more problems with either the 7s or the 8 than you would with any other radio.
Just my 2 cents worth.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the honest opinions...
This thread
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=281060&page=7 has not boosted my confidence in DX8....

Last edited by mmarian; 09-25-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree the threads do not give you much in the way of a boost. However i would argue in that case the DX7s should not inspire you with confidence either. I would guess the pots and electronics inside the box will be similar if not the same as the DX8. So if you are worried about the DX8 then the same should apply to the DX7s. They have not hit the streets in the UK yet, I bet they will not have the same probs as the DX8 as the problems with the pots etc have been fixed and therefore should not be present on any of their models.
I might drop in that the dx6i I had did have a faulty pot on the rudder, this was fixed under warranty just before the problem went global.
Forums whilst a good source of info sometimes blow the small percentage of failures to seemingly large proportions. whilst the numbers may also suggest that since it is a very widely used radio and lots have been sold the failure rate may well be seen to be higher, when it is still low in regard to volume of sales.
The bottom line is this, you have to decide what you feel comfortable flying, and if this means a DX7s or another brand of radio then you go for it. I am sure that what you buy will give you years of valued service and more than likely be very reliable.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I agree the threads do not give you much in the way of a boost. However i would argue in that case the DX7s should not inspire you with confidence either. I would guess the pots and electronics inside the box will be similar if not the same as the DX8. So if you are worried about the DX8 then the same should apply to the DX7s. They have not hit the streets in the UK yet, I bet they will not have the same probs as the DX8 as the problems with the pots etc have been fixed and therefore should not be present on any of their models.
I might drop in that the dx6i I had did have a faulty pot on the rudder, this was fixed under warranty just before the problem went global.
Forums whilst a good source of info sometimes blow the small percentage of failures to seemingly large proportions. whilst the numbers may also suggest that since it is a very widely used radio and lots have been sold the failure rate may well be seen to be higher, when it is still low in regard to volume of sales.
The bottom line is this, you have to decide what you feel comfortable flying, and if this means a DX7s or another brand of radio then you go for it. I am sure that what you buy will give you years of valued service and more than likely be very reliable.
I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. However if a newly launched product develops a pattern of issues it indicates to me that the probability of that issue to become a serious problem is fairly high and in many cases in history it lead to a recall of that product. It usually requires redesign or replacement of the part causing the issue with a new one or different one. In either case the manufactures usually admits the responsibility and advises its customer of the how they intend to fix it to regain the confidence of their clients. None of this happened with this radio as far as I am aware. I know that certain serial numbers have been fixed (software updated) free of charge but to the best of my knowledge the pot issue have not been officially addressed and no explanation offered as to how it was going to be fixed. I guess hence your own suspicion that the DX7S might have the same pot issue. Had Spektrum advised their customers by an official public announcement that all of their radios now use different pots made by new manufacturer and that the issue has been resolved once and for all we would have had much more confidence in their product by now. The way they have handled the whole DX8 launch and the subsequent issues has been a PR disaster, IMHO. Maybe it is a great radio (now) but it sure was not a great start for it....

Last edited by mmarian; 09-26-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarian View Post
. The way they have handled the whole DX8 launch and the subsequent issues has been a PR disaster, IMHO. Maybe it is a great radio (now) but it sure was not the a great start for it....
I totally agree with you on that one, they should have been more open on the problems involved. Even when I sent mine in for re call checks they would not tell me what work was being undertaken or what they did to fix it. That I found a bit offputting. I took a look in and found out what they did to see if it was a big fix or not. If they had of handled this in a different way I believe there would be more confidence in the product.
I wonder if it was for legal reasons, people today are too fast to jump on the "sue your $rse" band waggon.

I have not put a DX7s in my hands but I was told by Horizon it was very similar to the DX8 in its shape and make up, I can tell you that the feel of the TX is far superior to your existing DX7 and the rubber grips, switch placement and spacing make it one of the easiest radio to operate. I have long fingers and this radio just works well in my hands, I hope they keep this case style for a long time to come.
I wish every success with your new radio, let us know what you choose

Happy flying
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarian View Post
I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. However if a newly launched product develops a pattern of issues it indicates to me that the probability of that issue to become a serious problem is fairly high and in many cases in history it lead to a recall of that product. It usually requires redesign or replacement of the part causing the issue with a new one or different one. In either case the manufactures usually admits the responsibility and advises its customer of the how they intend to fix it to regain the confidence of their clients. None of this happened with this radio as far as I am aware. I know that certain serial numbers have been fixed (software updated) free of charge but to the best of my knowledge the pot issue have not been officially addressed and no explanation offered as to how it was going to be fixed. I guess hence your own suspicion that the DX7S might have the same pot issue. Had Spektrum advised their customers by an official public announcement that all of their radios now use different pots made by new manufacturer and that the issue has been resolved once and for all we would have had much more confidence in their product by now. The way they have handled the whole DX8 launch and the subsequent issues has been a PR disaster, IMHO. Maybe it is a great radio (now) but it sure was not a great start for it....
"I know that certain serial numbers have been fixed (software updated) free of charge but to the best of my knowledge the pot issue have not been officially addressed and no explanation offered as to how it was going to be fixed."

The "pot" issue has been officially fully addressed.Make no mistake about this.It really did not have anything to do with the pots actually.This is beside the point which is that the replacement gimbals that are current production and replacements for those that did have problems has fully cured the original problem.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "pot" issue has been officially fully addressed.Make no mistake about this.It really did not have anything to do with the pots actually.This is beside the point which is that the replacement gimbals that are current production and replacements for those that did have problems has fully cured the original problem.[/QUOTE]

Well, how about this than https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=281060&page=7. I would love to believe what you say is actually correct but with the utmost respect for you, I would much prefer to hear this info officially from Spektrum by some kind of announcement on their website to set the mind of all potential future customers at piece.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

[/QUOTE]
Well, how about this than https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=281060&page=7. I would love to believe what you say is actually correct but with the utmost respect for you, I would much prefer to hear this info officially from Spektrum by some kind of announcement on their website to set the mind of all potential future customers at piece.[/QUOTE]

Hey no worries.Dont hold your breath for a statement from Spektrum.It would only open up another can of worms.I was just relaying what Ive seen for myself.If your motivated you can do some searching for yourself.Others have confirmed the same thing I have observed.Sorry thats the best I can do for you.Personally my radio has been fine.I did have to do some minor repair in the gimbal area after some centering issues.Wasnt a big deal for me.Thats just me though.
To a certain extent this is part of the price we all pay to get reasonably inexpensive goods.It applies to many things in our world now and not just our RC equipment.This IMO is more of a political question than anything else and at this point in time its not a topic that is acceptable in open discussion so Ill just leave it at that.
Trust me or not.Im just saying this is what Ive observed to be true.It is what it is.
IMO the issues have been resolved.Peace of mind has alot to do with faith which is also not an acceptable topic of discussion so thats about as far as Im allowed to go with it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
HELIFREAK !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in