Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Someone talk me into buying a Chronos!!

Sooo little backstory. Bought a rush 750 for last summer and it went dirt nap due to tail Rotor explosion, and... they gone. Bought a Thunder Tiger raptor 820 end of last summer for this summer... It went down due to a vbar glitch, probably damaged from the rush 750 crash, total re-kit, motor and servos lived and that's it. And now TT killed it off.

Always liked the 7HV and the Chronos looks sick but I'm getting a little squeamish about picking up a 3rd machine in 3 years... Compass still going strong right?

Lastly, where's everyone running their ESC/governor output wires, and BEC wires? Not a big fan or running them so close to the motor but it must be fine, do they fit between the bottom bearing block and the battery tray maybe?
eskoskimo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have owned or flown a ton of different helicopters. Started with Thunder Tiger, then MSH Protos, then SAB Goblin, and finally Compass. I will never fly another heli unless it says Compass on it. My first Compass was the original 6hv. Such an amazing machine. I later hit some bad times personally and sold everything. Got back into the hobby with a Goblin 700. Once set up which took awhile, it was flying good. But I always had my 6hv in the back of my mind. Simply put, I remember it flying better. But I held on to the Goblin. Finally, after shredding the main gear for no apparent reason and because it didn't like low head speed flying, I decided to do what I should have done from the beginning. I posted it up for sale, and as soon as it sold, ordered a 7hv. While I was waiting, I was told a new 7hv upgrade was coming out. Which brings us to the wonderful beast that is the Chronos. I switched my order and got one of the first ones in the US. Build was incredible and fast. Parts are absolutely massive and super stout. I was able to fly it perfect on the maiden flight with default gyro settings. (Spartan Vortex VX1e). There is no heli out that flies like this bird. It is the most precise and direct feeling I have ever felt. I am not alone here and I am sure soon someone will chime in. It goes where I tell it. Period. And it does so at 2300 head speed or 1000 head speed. It also does this at the flip of a switch, meaning there is zero changes I have to make when I decide I am going to fly low head speed. I can not explain it better than that. Also I am one of the few as far as I know that has crashed it. I went in hard tail first. I replaced the boom and some little links and tail parts. Absolute tank of a machine. Main and feathering shaft are still the originals. If you are on the fence, get it now. No need to hold back because you are unsure. There are a ton of nice guys on the Compass forum that will help you if you need it. Give Prostar Hobby a call or go onto their site. Also feel free to contact me or continue to post your questions here. Hope to have you on board soon!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me CHRONOS has been an amazing flying machine although it's only my 2nd 700 it feels so much better than the 1st After flying my 6HVU for so long I didn't think another 700 would do it for me BUT then I built the CHRONOS and it was love at first flight As far as the wires I run mine down the middle on the outside of the frame works great.

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is how my wires are ran. From the side of the ESC down the side of the frame to the gyro and receiver.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150303_081149196.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	592335
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskoskimo View Post
Lastly, where's everyone running their ESC/governor output wires, and BEC wires? Not a big fan or running them so close to the motor but it must be fine, do they fit between the bottom bearing block and the battery tray maybe?
I routed the throttle wires between upper and lower motor mount plates along the right frame side. Tied off to the frame so it cannot get close to the pinion. Been that way since 2011, even though I rebuilt the model after a crash in 2014. Never a problem in the five seasons I've flown it.

It takes a heavy dose of denial to kid ourselves into thinking Compass is a sure bet for the long haul. I sure hope they are. Certainly for a while, it's fine. Nothing indicates otherwise. But any pod/boom maker is a shaky bet, IMO until this market settles down a bit. Nothing at all to indicate Compass is weak right now, but the market dictates. I personally believe Mikado, Align, and Gaui are the most solid in the pod & boom market, but I definitely prefer my Chonos to an X7, and have never used much in the way of parts. And, provided you're okay with having the backup supplier in China (Shop-CompassModel.com), then ProStar has you adequately covered. I believe parts support is maybe better for Compass than Gaui, but I am not a Gaui owner...just what I have heard.

I recently built a G570 and it just wasn't for me at all. Prettiest machine I had ever owned, but didn't like flying it. Much more comfortable with the feel of Compass!!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys. I've been watching the forums and checking stock at nankin, and its hard to say there is anything out of stock. Didn't know about shops compass website though, So that definitely helps.

I'm fanatical about my wiring jobs and usually end up 3d printing a handful of parts to get it all just right. I'll post pics if I print anything particularly useful. (Those 3d printed parts are super strong Ive discovered too haha)

It's a shame pod and boom market is having a rough time of it right now When I started flying in 2010 it was growing so fast. Anyways I guess I'll pony up the dough And get one soon, summers too short in Canada to wait much longer.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now own six 700 size machines.

The Chronos is easily the best flying and most precise of the bunch.

ESC/BEC wiring:

Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

AH Clem - Your shop must be the RC heli equivalent to Jay Leno's Garage!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

"AH Clem - Your shop must be the RC heli equivalent to Jay Leno's Garage!"

I wish Rob.

Definitely not as neat...
Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am thinking your extensive heli collection must rival Jay's collection of vehicles.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably not even close, but I appreciate the comment.

He is also into stationary steam, but his stationary steam engines are real, mine are toys.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Rob for the most part. Compass will probably be around but for US suppliers viability for the long term still remains to be seen... Just my opinion of course. The good news is you can order parts from the Compass Shop in China... The bad news is, from personal experience, it takes time for the parts to arrive.

Having said that, I love all my Compass helis and am in the process of converting one of my 7HVUs into a Chronos. I have been side tracked by work though so it is taking a while.

Here is a pic of how I routed the wiring from ESC to the FBL controller..

Another pic showing the wiring (ground, telemetry) on the other side:

I have since updated the mount of the ESC... Basically removed the "holder" where the ESC is screwed into and just replaced the entire thing with foam for more crash absorption. The ESC is then supported to the frame by velcro straps with the foam underneath the ESC to provide shock absorption.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looks good Cyclo! Maybe with a little bit more flashy braid around the wires like yours I wont mind them on the outside of the frame, or just tuck them inside along the same route.

Edit: good plan with the foam under the YGE, i snapped off the tabs on mine in the crash, should have seen that one coming a mile away.

I'd post a Pic of my 820's wiring.... but its time to move on hah!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first time I built my 7hvu, I had all the wires completely hidden. Basically the same as cyclo's but on the inside. It worked great and looked awesome, but once I had to change out a component it was a major pain. Since then I've just ran it the same way cyclo has it and i don't let it bother me. Much easier to work on.
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I now own six 700 size machines.

The Chronos is easily the best flying and most precise of the bunch.

ESC/BEC wiring:

I notice you are running the Hercules Pro bec, how do you like that configuration ass most I have seen use a separate 2000mah battery for reciever and servos. I have a new Hercules Pro I was considering installing as you have your setup. Nice setup.

Rdavis007
Rdavis007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rdavis007,

Let me first point out that I fly for Western Robotics.

I had about 14 WR BEC's prior to applying to fly for them. I saw three 2S receiver packs fail at local meets for a variety of reasons over a period of a couple of years, so I will not run a 2S Rx pack-Period! (others will strongly disagree with me on this, but if I were to run an rx pack, I would either run 2S/2P for redundancy, or a larger pack with a BEC, so that if I lost a cell I would still have control of the on-board electronics).

I run the WR units from one of the two 6S packs in the helicopter. The WR Hercules Super Pro and the Hercules Super G2 have bus technology to prevent current bottlenecks (even if your BEC puts out 50 amps, you can't get more than five amps continuous through on of the small, servo type connectors).
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Rdavis007,

Let me first point out that I fly for Western Robotics.

I had about 14 WR BEC's prior to applying to fly for them. I saw three 2S receiver packs fail at local meets for a variety of reasons over a period of a couple of years, so I will not run a 2S Rx pack-Period! (others will strongly disagree with me on this, but if I were to run an rx pack, I would either run 2S/2P for redundancy, or a larger pack with a BEC, so that if I lost a cell I would still have control of the on-board electronics).

I run the WR units from one of the two 6S packs in the helicopter. The WR Hercules Super Pro and the Hercules Super G2 have bus technology to prevent current bottlenecks (even if your BEC puts out 50 amps, you can't get more than five amps continuous through on of the small, servo type connectors).
Thanks for your comment. I have never run a separate 2S pack for the elec/servos. I do have two new WR Hercules Super Pro becs. I bought a used 7hv and may try to install the Hercules, it seems to be a robust power source for the HV servos.
Thanks Again,
RDavis007
Rdavis007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the most important reasons to get the Chronos are primarily subjective, or personal in nature. Maybe you're not all that thrilled with the fuselage appearances of some other models, and prefer the traditional pod/boom approach...(I prefer pod/boom). Maybe you like the look...(I like the raked nose-down angle and canopy shape). Maybe you find the flight videos of the Chronos more appealing than other models...(I like seeing Compass' best pilots more than others'). Whatever it might be...it's not the least expensive or lightest airframe. But definitely a proven design, and very well made.

Last edited by Rob43; 07-20-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Rob43 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in