Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Can't get a pinion to fit

Ok... So I've had a 4025-1100KV scorpion motor on my shelf for a while but thought I would learn to fly a bit better before I threw it on. Yesterday I decided to swap that motor in my 600E. I cut the frame no problem but my success didn't last long. I have a 5mm shaft on my motor so naturally I ordered a 5mm rhino pinion from HDX thinking it would fit. Well man was I wrong. The 5mm pinion fits on the shaft but not far enough down to make proper contact with the main gear. Is there a secret I'm missing here or do I need a different pinion? If someone could point me in the direction of a proper pinion I'd be thankful.

Thanks
oneleggedman125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Can you post a pic?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Honestly no. I pressed it on to get the right fit but it pinion wouldn't stay in place when I powered the motor up. Now I can't get it off without destroying the pinion and shaft... Stupid move on my part really but I wanted it to work.

I'm really just looking for anyone who knows of a no fuss motor pinion for the 4025-1100.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drill out the pinion with a 5mm drill so it will slide all the way on. Also did you grind a flat spot on the motor shaft for the set screw in the pinion to land on ?
sawdust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No I never did. But now that I think about it I really should have. Is there not a pinion that will fit without the hassle of drilling it out?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So instead of starting a new thread I will ask my question in here.

Same motor and same 13T 5mm pinion as before. I have now drilled the pinion sufficiently so it fits well on the motor shaft. The problem I'm having is the mesh between the pinion and the main gear. To get the ideal height I have to have the pinion pushed (what I think is) too far down on the motor shaft. I have included several pictures to illustrate what I'd talking about.

This is where my pinion sat on my old 600M motor.

This is where the pinion has to sit to mesh well with the main gear.

Is this normal? And if it's not what should I do to make this work properly...

These last two pictures are to show the installation of the motor shaft. Just to make sure it's in the right place.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is no one going to help?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

13T pinion is awfully small for for a 600...what headspeed are you running? I am running the same motor on my 550E and having problems with that particular Align pinion also. By looking at the pics it looks like the set screws at the bottom of the motor that secure the shaft to the motor may be loose also as I have about 2mm or so of shaft sticking out the bottom of my motor and it looks like yours is almost flush with the shaft. What I have noticed with the 5mm align pinions is that when you put it on the taper on the pinion starts to taper out into the gear. The only way to get around that with that pinion is to lower it to where its flush with the main gear and thats not the proper way to have it set up either. The pinion should be above the main gear about 1 or 2mm. So basically you need to get a new 5mm pinion. Revco makes some good pinions and make sure you get one of the ones that are the same width from top to bottom.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for your concern but the set screws are on as tight as I can get them. I must have shorter set screws than you do. I got it all to work just fine but I did have to gear up. I was using the same tooth count from my 1220KV motor and the head speed was far too slow. 14T is good, 15T is better. Thanks all for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in