Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default cant get ANY lift???

hi guys finished modding my bee with a HK esc,orange rx, HK gyro,xtreme swash plate and blades,esky 380 motor CF stab. fins and a DD cp3 tail conversion.it worked well for a while but now for some reason i just cant get it to lift off the ground. it spools up solidly so the head speed is there but i dont know what is causing it not to take off. since the mods ive had a couple of minor crashes (tail boom and bent main shaft) which ive replaced. can anyone give me some info on why this is happening? is the proportion? maybe the 4in1 is shot? gyro?orange rx?? dont know but it is doing my head in please help cheers guys!! also,anyone know the correct procedure for setting up the gain and proportion for the hbfpv2? i have bound it to my dx6i.thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

with my Bee when i started losing lift i replaced the main motor and all was well again..it sounds and looked like enough headspeed but it would barely get off the ground and had no power to climb...once i swtiched the motor out it flew great...but with your 380 motor it should be fine unless it was bad...

can also check your head and your blade holder to make sure it is all stiff and not flexing too much....

Dan
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1.

The HBFP is fixed pitch, so the lift is generated by head speed. No lift = not enough head speed 99.9% of the time. It is of course possible that you blades have lost their pitch....but EXTREMELY unlikely.

Low headspeed is most often a dying motor as JMD has said. It may also be caused by binding somewhere, or the motor pinion being too tightly meshed with the main gear....but my mony is on the main motor. Just a quick check; have you got the main motor and tail motor leads connected up to the right outlets?

The proportional is to do with your tail and won't affect lift at all. The 4 in 1 will generally work or not; it is the internal ESCs that provide power to the motors and they either work or don't if they blow. The gyro is again to do with the tail and won't affect lift and the Rx controls the signals being received and sent out. It doesn't interpret them, just distrubutes them, so it won't affect lift.

The only other thing I can think of is calibrating your ESC and I'm not sure if you can do that with the 4 in 1...

On a separates system, if you turn on the Tx with the throttle stick UP and then power the heli, the ESC goes into programming mode. You then drop the throttle stick to minimum and your ESC is then taught the full range of the throttle. It works with most external ESCs, but I have no idea if you can do it on the 4 in 1: I can't ever remember hearing of it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
+1.

The HBFP is fixed pitch, so the lift is generated by head speed. No lift = not enough head speed 99.9% of the time. It is of course possible that you blades have lost their pitch....but EXTREMELY unlikely.

Low headspeed is most often a dying motor as JMD has said. It may also be caused by binding somewhere, or the motor pinion being too tightly meshed with the main gear....but my mony is on the main motor. Just a quick check; have you got the main motor and tail motor leads connected up to the right outlets?

The proportional is to do with your tail and won't affect lift at all. The 4 in 1 will generally work or not; it is the internal ESCs that provide power to the motors and they either work or don't if they blow. The gyro is again to do with the tail and won't affect lift and the Rx controls the signals being received and sent out. It doesn't interpret them, just distrubutes them, so it won't affect lift.

The only other thing I can think of is calibrating your ESC and I'm not sure if you can do that with the 4 in 1...

On a separates system, if you turn on the Tx with the throttle stick UP and then power the heli, the ESC goes into programming mode. You then drop the throttle stick to minimum and your ESC is then taught the full range of the throttle. It works with most external ESCs, but I have no idea if you can do it on the 4 in 1: I can't ever remember hearing of it.
I don't think you can calibrate it either..it is either on or off or working or not..so i think it is a matter of just speed....not enough speed not enough lift..unless the blade holder is loose and they are flexing a bunch...

motor and head would be the 2 things to check in this case...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a thought, in my very early days I took my first HBFP to the field on a blisteringly hot summer evening and couldn't get it to leave the ground. Apparently the standard blades didn't like the heat. I know yours are xtreme ones but as I said - just a thought.

Edit: just re-read your post and see you mention the 4in1. Yes they can fail internally and only give about 50% speed if one of the mosfets has failed. I've had it happen once.

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
see you mention the 4in1. Yes they can fail internally and only give about 50% speed if one of the mosfets has failed. I've had it happen once.
Ah...in that case forget my comment about it either works or it doesn't....lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeboy75 View Post
also,anyone know the correct procedure for setting up the gain and proportion for the hbfpv2? i have bound it to my dx6i.thanks guys!
Check out the Stickies section for this:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=188133
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default thanks guys!

hey guys am going to check it out very shortly and report back. i had an xtreme main motor in it so i swapped it out for the esky equivalent and same thing, no lift.. all ive got left is a new stock motor and a used one so if they dont work then i can eliminate the main motor as the problem....
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default esky 3in1??

just wondering, would a 3in1 controller from a big lama work on a hb??
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, I'm afraid not. A Lama is a co-axial helicopter and uses a completely different mixing.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeboy75 View Post
hey guys am going to check it out very shortly and report back. i had an xtreme main motor in it so i swapped it out for the esky equivalent and same thing, no lift.. all ive got left is a new stock motor and a used one so if they dont work then i can eliminate the main motor as the problem....
From my limited experience, it could also be a problem with the esc. I had some lack of power issues with the internal esc in the stock 4 in 1, that were resolved completely with the addition of an external esc. I would think the same thing could be occurring with the external esc you have on there now.
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

He's already using an external ESC: Turnigy 20A brushed ESC.

I've had a chat with any about this and he said once the blades start to take load the heli makes a whining/whirring sound and doesn't get any more lift.

My thoughts were since he replaced the main shaft that the retaining collar was not up high enough on the shaft to keep the bottom pin seated in the main gear, so once the blades lift the shaft out of the main gear the gear would be slipping underneath.
either that or the gear mesh is too loose and it's slipping once the drive train is under lifting load
I've told him to check for end-play in the main shaft and use the paper trick to re-do the motor mesh. and if that fails to try the spare turnigy ESC he has.

Can anyone think of anything else that would manifest itself only once the headspeed gets to lifting rpm.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steemo,

I saw the external esc mentioned, and I kinda doubt it is bad, but if all the mechanical solutions you mention fail to produce, and he has a spare, I would try that, too. Just based on the similar problems I had that were caused by the stock internal esc.

BKT
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jesus Bolt missing?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If so, I'd be shocked if it was the one on the bottom! Usually you can't get them out without a cutting torch.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

told him to check for the top and bottom jesus pins.

What about that little brass spacer that has a habbit of falling out when changing main shafts. If Andy lost that could that cause this problem
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are right, that is easily lost and would be a real problem in gear meshing.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

that also causes the gear to rub on the frame too doesn't it?

Andy check for wear on the frame around the main gear.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default eliminating problems still..

ok, replaced esc, jesus pin is ok, blades are good batterys chargedand no sign of anything burn out on any electrical component cause ive striped it down and plugged it all up again.the only other thing i can think of is main motor and battery.am putting it all back togeather as we speak and fingers crossed it should work. will keep yas posted .....
Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
Just a thought, in my very early days I took my first HBFP to the field on a blisteringly hot summer evening
Did you take it on a holiday abroad?
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in