Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Macdad's flight progress

I have been tracking progress on another thread, here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=606236

But I can't change the title. I plan on keeping my journal on this thread.
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use youtube, record your flights for better monitoring your improvements. The Samsung Galaxy S5 or the Sony Xperia Z1 both have nice cameras. If you are planning for a Gopro Hero 3, just hang back for awhile in getting those as the Gopro Hero 4 is about to be released with better specs.
helicray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've been thinking about a camera. Main problem is... I am spending all my excess money on helicopters I will keep an eye out for one though. My wife has recorded some on her Iphone, though. I would like her to record some more and a bit closer, but she is a bit intimidated by the heli.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't wait for the new motor any longer. I took the time to pull the motor from the helicopter that is waiting for a new head and put it in the heli with the fried motor. I am up and flying again!
Some day, I will have two helis that will be capable of flying instead of one always down for parts
Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70s and wind less than 10 mph. Hopefully I can get some good flying in between the yard work!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew two batteries last night and had a hard landing. Broke my autorotation gear. Good news: I had another one. Fixed this morning. 4 more batteries this morning and still flying.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to go to heliaddicted reunions.
No way to stop this addiction.
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, it is a little embarrassing, but here is a video of one of my flights today. I normally don't have the problem of maintaining altitude, but the camera made me really nervous. It is also embarrassing to think of how many times I have "flown," and this is all the better I am. Regardless, I am still making progress.

[ame]http://youtu.be/G6NB_Yu5iRw[/ame]
Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrica View Post
You need to go to heliaddicted reunions.
No way to stop this addiction.
Agreed. I can't wait till I am at the point that I am spending money on Upgrades instead of crash replacements

Total packs flown today: 8. Starting to make some progress. I notice that it is actually much easier to handle and react when I have some speed. Problem is, this thing is fast and it makes me nervous! Only way to conquer that is to keep flying. Heck, a couple months ago, lifting off made me nervous.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like you're doing great! That train whistle sure can't help with the nerves

Keep at it, and you'll be amazed at your progress. I may be slightly smoother, but I've also been at it for four years!

I also encourage you to make and save videos...you'll be able to look back and see your progress.

I think the most important factor is persistence; we've all been there, and crashed time and time again.

If at first you don't succeed (and you are succeeding).....well, you know the rest.

Ken
Old 05-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew 2 more batteries this morning. Pretty rough... I am starting to get a little more comfortable with the speed, but not enough to keep from overreacting at times. Had a couple close calls. Don't know why it didn't wreck the heli, but I'm glad it didn't .

Ken, thanks for the encouraging words. I think I need to adjust my throttle stick a little more... There is a little too much tension which causes it to stick once in a while. That is part of my problem ( I think ).
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some people open their transmitter and put a piece of teflon ironing sheet on the tension strap to smooth out the throttle stick.

Ken
Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkadish View Post
Some people open their transmitter and put a piece of teflon ironing sheet on the tension strap to smooth out the throttle stick.

Ken
That is a great idea! It is like the throttle gets a little "sticky" once in a while. I think that will help! Thank you!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not my idea

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=601785

Ken
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

A snippet from one of 4 flights today. Going a lot smoother. I lost it at the end and had to bail. I couldn't tell which way the heli was moving with my controls... Anyway, it lived to fly another day!

[ame]http://youtu.be/iaP6rcawX_g[/ame]
Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

2nd battery in this morning and... I wrecked it Don't really know what went wrong yet. It was out a little ways, and up about 20 feet. The tail started to rotate on it's own and became unresponsive. It wasn't spinning real fast, but it wouldn't rotate. Anyway, I had to bring it in, and panicked slightly Hit throttle hold at about 15' up.

Side note, I need to practice autos a lot more. I put so much focus into keeping it level as it was screaming for the ground, that I forgot to do a pitch pump before impact.

Total visible damage:

Bent frame (think I can straighten by hand)
Broken link on the head (I have some of these)

I would guess that I also have a bent feathering shaft and main shaft. I have these as well. The main gear is surprisingly intact. Need to check the tail boom as well.

At this point, I think there is an issue with the Gyro. Either that, or my belt was slipping. After the wreck, the servo re-initialized and the tail servo works. Time to trouble shoot.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdad View Post
A snippet from one of 4 flights today. Going a lot smoother. I lost it at the end and had to bail. I couldn't tell which way the heli was moving with my controls... Anyway, it lived to fly another day!

http://youtu.be/iaP6rcawX_g
Posted at 12:01 am? You doing some night flying?

Ken
Old 05-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wasn't paying attention to the time. It would explain why I am a little tired today :d
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally had a chance to sit down and tear apart the head of the wrecked FB heli. I thought the feathering shaft was bent, but I appeared to be straight. There was a lose screw on the mixing arm that was binding the head. All fixed, so I took it out to spin it up.

After fiddling with the blade tracking, the rudder was unresponsive again. I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. The gyro failed to initialize. So, I cycled the battery a 3rd time. This time the gyro initialized. I think my gyro is bad. I'm a little Leary to attempt to fly this again with the way it is currently acting. May get a new gyro and see how that reacts.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rebuilt my 450 DFC this morning. Hovered for one battery. It has a wobble... I replaced the tail rotor shaft. Seems to be a little better, but still has a wobble.

Maybe the main shaft, which was brand new, is bent. I don't know. It does fly. It seems fairly stable in forward flight. Maybe a setting in the fbl controller needs adjusted. Something else to trouble shoot.

But, it is a nice day, so I have decided to fly it anyway. 4 batteries in doing figure 8s and a few forward circuits both CW & CCW. All going well so far, and my flying continues to get smoother!!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Played around with it some more. I figured it had to be the collective gain that was causing the wobble. Some additional research showed that some DFC heads have hard dampeners that require the gain to be turned way down. I reduced the gain as far as it will go. The wobble is still there, but no where near as aggressive.

Now if the wind would just slow down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in