Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Proof that Sim's Work !

In my old age I decided to take up RC flying. Many years ago I briefly dabbled in fixed wing, and I planned on doing fixed wing again. I searched online and to save money and shorten my learning curve I ordered Realflight Sim, which as you probably know, has some helicopters on it. The Sim helicopters were challenging and addictive (and I live right in the Heart of a Major City) so I decided to get a Heli.

I just got my Dx6i Friday (4 days ago) and took my 120SR out for the first time Saturday.
I had ordered a cheap trainer attachment (4 balls & 4 sticks) for it, but it did not seem to fit right so I didn't use it. I used the first 2 batteries to skid around my garage and adjust my trims. I probably used 6 battery packs that first day, a few minor crashes, and one pretty good one that popped a rotor head linkage off -but I was really amazed at how well the Sim had prepared me, definitely a good investment.

Day 2 it rained, but I decided to try flying inside my apartment, (and video-tape it for posterity).

Here is the Video of my second day of Heli-fun (I think 7th battery pack). The room is about 4 meters by 3 meters. Nothing spectacular but Much better than I expected - The Sim really Paid off (Although I'm sure those young enough to grow up with a video controller in their hands would be much better.

Anyway, This video provides Proof that:

1) I am not only old, but I am also Fat Bald and Ugly

2) A SIM is a good investment

3) You Can teach an old dog new tricks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

good sim is one of the best thing you can spend money on
and it only gets better as you improve
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptozzy View Post
I had ordered a cheap trainer attachment (4 balls & 4 sticks) for it, but it did not seem to fit right so I didn't use it.
I used one of those too, and was amazed how much better the heli flew without the added weight of the training wheels.

Quote:
I was really amazed at how well the Sim had prepared me
It does, doesn't it. It also surprised me how well it carried over from sim to the real thing. In my experience the difference between a simulated and a real heli is the biggest issue; in general the ones in the sim fly much more perfect, but for learning new maneuvers that's not a bad thing.

I usually fly the sim with some wind (with somewhat random direction/wind speed) thrown in.

Quote:
Here is the Video of my second day of Heli-fun (I think 7th battery pack).
Looking good there. Those small helis are much more twitchy than the bigger ones (say 500 size and up).

Quote:
Although I'm sure those young enough to grow up with a video controller in their hands would be much better.
I sincerely doubt that, really, because I'm one of them. Yes, their hands will be more used to using a controller, but flying helis means having (more or less) a model of the heli in your head and that's primarily what you control.

Experience will teach you how the heli reacts and the real one might be lagging a bit behind the model in your head. Also, when the real model reacts different than the one in your head, it almost physically feels weird - you immediately know something is wrong. This might be caused by an orientation failure (i.e. heli is flying tail-in, when in reality it is flying towards you), technical malfunction, etc.

Visual cues on the heli can make orientation a lot easier; I always use a neon colored tail fin (or at least neon colored tail blades) and often put those silvery/reflective decals on the top of my blades; if I see a silvery reflection on my blades, I'm looking at the top of the rotor (otherwise I'm looking at the bottom).
mjbrands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 120 SR is great for learning the basics, but be careful.... helis are addictive.
4 years ago I started out with one helicopter. Now I got seven CCPM helis and 5
fixed pitch. And I vant more.......
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree about a good sim. A buddy recommended RF or Phoenix. I went with Phoenix because of the lifetime updates and compatibility with the DX6i I picked up. It has been great. I got the mSRx up in the air without training wheels after a month with Phoenix. I did have a little learning curve, but it was also due to some setup issues with the real heli.

Glad you are in the air and having fun!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in