Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail servo instalation problem

Hi i just wanted to install 9257 on my b400 but rod that connects servo with tail will not fit, ive tried to take it apart (to cut it ) but its broken now... where can i get something that will fit ? I will take rod from my hk 450 and try... but in this case servo will be waaay back thatn stock one... will that be ok ?

this is what happend to old one:

Is it ok to mount servo like this ?

Parts shopping, repairs, swash leveling, punctuated by brief periods of flight...
d3x0r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure if I can see anything wrong with the rod in the picture. but if you have to run the servo where you have it positioned on the boom why not roll the servo over to where futaba s9257 would be read upwards instead of downwards. it will put center of gravity more towards the front. you will probably have to change rudder direction in your controller and maybe also on the gyro. test it out carefully though if you try it.
Punkin71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im still new at this but also replaced my tail servo and can atlest offer a couple tips.

The e-flight rod is only about $3-$4 so i would buy another one of those to start off. You happened to snap or cut the end i havent seen a good alternative for. I simply cut the fixed ball link side of of mine one time and replaced it with one i drilled out that was meant for a threaded rod. One little issue i found is if you just drill the hole it wont glue well so you will want to drill the hole and cut a notch on one side like the e-flight one has.

Another method ive read about for removing the link is to heat it in boiling water then pull it off. I havent tried it but will tell you a lighter or other flame has a VERY quick melting effect even not touching the flame. When you push it off be sure to push it by the part covering the carbon fiber rod and not the part that fits on the ball. You dont want to deform that part. CA debonder also didnt work in my case.

If you want to try to salvage the part you have, try grinding the back flat and then drilling into it to remove the carbon rod to remove whats there. You should be able to just slide that over the left over rod that you have once its cut to the right length and glue it in place. That way if it doesnt work (but should) your not out anything else.

I mounted my servo in the stock location but you may want to slide the servo in and out until you get a balance with your battery packs of choice. If you have a few different ones maybe balance it with the middle weight one.

Hope that helps some,

Major
blkexp98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Question

i am a newbie also, but i ask myself why would you move the servo further back ?
i installed the gy401 with a robbe fs61bb, the robbe is faster than most of the hitecs futabas and it fits perfectly into the original slot it works perfectly.
what is the sense to move it out onto the tail ? to me it looks awkward and
it shifts the COG back and up which i think is not a good thing.
can anybody enlighten m e ?

thks - marcel
macel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Moving it back can help balance the COG if you use a heavier battery. Also when you boom mount it you don't have to re-adjust your linkage when you move the boom to adjust the belt and you can get the linkage in a straighter line to the tail.
Larry227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in