Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heading hold mode normal for servo to move very small amounts?

This is the first time I'm setting up the heli and programming the flybarless system and I'm not used to the servo not moving much at all in heading hold mode while I'm rotating the heli by hand. I haven't gotten a chance to do a test flight just yet, just a normal spool up inside the house to make sure everything is moving in the correct directions and everything is, but the minimal movement of the rudder servo concerns me. All the gyro settings and programming appear to be correct and movement direction is normal when in setup mode. I'm used to setting up regular HH gyros like a GY401 where the servo definitely moves when you rotate the heli around in the Z axis or yaw direction. Is this lack of movement normal?

Thanks!

FYI, I can set the gain to 100% and there is no wag on the tail even if I spool it up and I'm holding onto the landing gear. I don't feel much resistance from the tail trying to counteract the movement when I rotate the heli by hand. There are zero vibes coming from the tail boom and the vertical fin has no vibration. It is def. in HH mode and the LED is green when the 3GX system is initialized and armed. Is this just not a good way to test it?
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Used to a 401? Well you didn't alter endpoint in theTX did ya? The new Gyros don't work that way.
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, I did not alter endpoints. Left everything at 100% on the TX and just set the travel limits through the programming of the 3gx unit. I did follow the directions, just curious if this was normal for the limited movement. Everything else appears to work as specified, but the rudder didn't seem to use much movement to correct. I can switch to rate mode below 5% on the gyro gain settings on my DX8 and the LED on the 3gx will switch accordingly between HH and rate mode when fully initialized for flight. It's strange to me that I can set the gain to 100% without wag or strong counteracting movements by the rudder.

Gyro is mounted inverted with the anti torque compensation adjustment set to reverse and the delay is set to 450 class machine.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like the travel limits in the 3GX are not correctly set in each direction, and as a result you don't see much action on the tail servo even with high HH gain.

You should see the full tail pitch movement when rotating the heli just a few degrees.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm.....Yeah, I thought I should see move movement with the gains set at 100%. Something is not right still. The travel on the pitch slider does move from end to end when I move the rudder stick and it remembers the setting and doesn't go buzzing the servos telling me it's gone past the limit settings. I guess I can try it again, but I've done that twice already to make sure it has enough travel limit set.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It sounds as if the 3gx doesn't see a rudder gain signal, make sure that rudder gain is ch 5 Futaba / gear on spektrum.. And if using spektrum ensure it ie assigned correctlyin the radio. Maybe a spek user can chime in and elaborate on how to do this. Thanks
Hope this fixes your issue.
Al
Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick77 View Post
It sounds as if the 3gx doesn't see a rudder gain signal, make sure that rudder gain is ch 5 Futaba / gear on spektrum.. And if using spektrum ensure it ie assigned correctlyin the radio. Maybe a spek user can chime in and elaborate on how to do this. Thanks
Hope this fixes your issue.
Al
Good point - we need to know what radio the OP is using, and if he is using SAT's only with the 3GX or a standard RX.

If I recall correctly, using SAT's only, the gain is sent on AUX2.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkma7six View Post
It is def. in HH mode and the LED is green when the 3GX system is initialized and armed. Is this just not a good way to test it?
When you flick between a HH and Rate gain, do you see the LED change color? - if not, then it's likely that you don't have the gain channel correctly assigned in your TX.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No, I did not alter endpoints. Left everything at 100% on the TX and just set the travel limits through the programming of the 3gx unit. I did follow the directions, just curious if this was normal for the limited movement. Everything else appears to work as specified, but the rudder didn't seem to use much movement to correct. I can switch to rate mode below 5% on the gyro gain settings on my DX8 and the LED on the 3gx will switch accordingly between HH and rate mode when fully initialized for flight. It's strange to me that I can set the gain to 100% without wag or strong counteracting movements by the rudder.

Gyro is mounted inverted with the anti torque compensation adjustment set to reverse and the delay is set to 450 class machine.
Did the led go red at both limits indicating it was learned?
Did you load the 450 helli class default yet?
Link up and to to settings display tab screen and check the rudder gain while adjusting the gain in the TX, it should change accordingly
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did have it set on the gyro channel in the radio I stead of the aux2 channel. I found that in another post this morning, and got everything working. Thanks everyone for taking the time out to respond!!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I did have it set on the gyro channel in the radio I stead of the aux2 channel. I found that in another post this morning, and got everything working. Thanks everyone for taking the time out to respond!!
That's what I suspected was wrong, but how did the 3GX LED change status while you didn't have the gain channel correctly assigned in your TX.

Quote:
I can switch to rate mode below 5% on the gyro gain settings on my DX8 and the LED on the 3gx will switch accordingly between HH and rate mode when fully initialized for flight.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not sure how it would be able to change the LED status. That is why I was at a loss. I thought it was working because the LED would go into rate mode below 5% and this allowed me to think it was getting a signal. I did have the spektrum TX gyro gains set for flight mode and the actual gain channel was set for the wrong output. It's been awhile since I've built a 450 heli and the last one was with a fm/PCM Futaba 9CH. Been awhile. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in