Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Others

Others Walkera Other Models Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy Walkera 4F200LM Tail Rotor gears stripping

My Walkera 4F200LM is continually stripping the tail rotor gearing even on the slighest knock. I notice the gears don't completely mesh which looks to be a design fault. Anybody having similar problems and do you have a fix.
otherhalf2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're probably best making a slipper clutch similar to the one I designed for the V200D03 because that thing eats tail gears for breakfast.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=400144

Could you take some pics of the tail shaft assembly? I might be able to help you make one.
Benvk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just replied to your question in a different forum, but here's a copy:

Be careful when you put the tail rotor assembly back together. You can sort of adjust the tension between the gears by varying their position and the way you press the tail rotor housing back together after a repair. Give the tail rotor a spin when before putting it back on the helicopter & you shouldn't feel or hear any binding between the gears. It should be very easy to turn with almost no noise. If those gears mesh too tightly they'll quickly ruin. As for the gears getting stripped easily, this seems to be a problem many people are having. Mine will strip if any rotor touches the ground or even if I land a bit too hard with no rotors touching anything!

Below is a link to a video I made showing disassembly of the tail rotor housing. Please keep in mind that this may not be correct, as I have found no info from the company showing the 'official' way to do it.

Walkera 4F200LM Tail Gear Fixing Part Removal & Disassembly
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewilanpJIuc[/ame]
gottlieb1885 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4F200LM, my experience!!!

Hi guys, i just love the 4F200LM as a helicopter!!!
Its not without issues, i've flown a few helis, this is the HARDEST one thus far!!!
Full VP rotors and tail rotor, with 3 axis gyro..

But (even in a smaller scale) one of the best engineered helis!! Making repairs somewhat easy!! I know, cos i've crashed them..yes "them"..over 1 year i have bought 4 of these!!! And they are NOT cheap..
The first 2 have ended up as scrap donor helis for parts..
2nd, helis 3-4 are still flying fine..
At first, i didnt understand all the computer settings..(some i still dont quite understand)
But a factory default settings at 100% and expo-D/R settings are WAY too high..making her flight as crasy as a shithouse rate..( this i learnt the hard way)
Jumping from a CX3 coxial to this one..was in hindsight, not clever!!

I searched for imformation on settings, manual does not tell the user a hell of alot, found some advice.
I almost finally mastered it, but not hovering with it pointed towards me..yet..give it time.
MY SETTINGS, if anyone is interested in softening up its flight.SET both elevator and aileron to POS-0..D/R rate at 45% and Expo rate at +45% respectively...flies much better!!![
I set the gyro mode to manual..and changed it from 70% to 95%..seems to help..
I'd be so bold to recommend these settings for beginners, even tho the 4F200LM should not be used by a novice pilot, parts get expensive..

I've found on these, they always seem to drift left...trim helps, but i adjusted the swashplate linkage up more and fixed that without too much trim..
The most common damage (i've found) is its gears..the main fly-wheel and bur gear for the shaft can be stripped easy if any rotor resistance (like a rotor strike) needs replacement, and thus the heli must be pulled apart..
I've done this repair SO MANY times, i can fix the heli blind folded..
One other issue is that internal parts when like shafts, employs grub-screws..these can be a nightmare..at factory , them seem so tight, and stripping them with the allen key is easy.

Advice..if you replace this part (part number 86) make sure you tighten it well, i didnt, and suddenly all tail rotor was lost..i was able to bring her down without crash..
Im not an expert with RC helicopters!!! But this is what i learnt on these (still more to learn) perhaps by viewing this post, newbies might be interested in these settings?

I also have a tone of spare parts..if you are looking for good..non broken parts, i might have that part.and parts off the net are dear, you can contact me at" mg42man [at] hotmail [dot] com. if interested?
Goodluck..hope this may help someone adviod crashes and find cheap good parts..
Happy flying!! MIKE
Mikeo37 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gears

yes i've had this problem too..does anyone make metal gears??
MIKE
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

no, i can see anyone that does..problem is..i think they meant for them to be plastic, cos the rotor head is mostly CNC metal alloy..and complex to repair..i think the idea is..with a rotor strike..its best the flywheel/burr gear give instead (cos something has to give), and i've found, its easier to replaced these than the rotorhead/swashplate..metal gears would trip too i guess..
You or anyone can contact me at: mg42man [at] hotmail [dot] com

If you guys are looking for a parts?..i have heaps!!!!
I got spare receivers, and gyro units, plus the esc as well, new canopy, spare complete tail boom..and gears, silver panels and more...i'd sell them at HALF price to ones on ebay..and they are as good as new.

Happy flying!!
MIKE
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, i agree with this, i have 2 4F200LMs,(silver version& blue version with Devo-7 radios) 2 wrecked ones for parts now...
And they are not cheap!!! easy to repair, parts are not too bad..but as a new heli, expensive.
I've stripped actually 8 flywheels..while flying these....and, you have to pull it completely apart to replace, i can do it in my sleep now..LOL

I think leaving them "plastic" is a good idea, as the plastic naturally gives first over the metal pinon gear of the brushless motor, if not?..we would be replacing the more complex main rotor head/swashplate etc insteal..(rotor-strikes)
Im still learning to master "nose-in hovers", tail-in hovers are easy, i think i'll get there eventually..after breaking 3 sets of landng gear, bought training gear..it makes the tail shake at first tho....???
Lastly i've modified its expo/duel rates and all that..to make em more sluggish..100% default settings are crazy!!

Just one question someone may be able to help?? The tail rotor re-acts too fast..what setting to i go to on the Devo-7 to slow it down more?? Theres gyro settings on the 3-Axis gyro, but heard they should not be touched??
Any help would be great...Thanks. MIKE
PS. I have a tone.spares for these..if anyone is looking for a part etc, im happy to sell them at 1/4 of the cost of new ones "these parts are also new"

If interested? you are welcome to contact me anytime at: Mg42man@hotmail.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in