Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The official 600 stretch mod thread

It appears this mod is now here to stay and starting to grow in the ranks of the 600 world. With the help of the talents and skills of all those who have done this mod for obvious reasons. And guys like me that would like to learn more about this. I would like to start a thread dedicated to the stretch. Both TT and belt. This is to permanently document the various methods that can be used to achieve stretching the booms on our various 600s so we can utilize much larger blade circumferences and still retain the lighter weight advantage of the 600 frame over the porkier 700. (no offense intended)

This is about the science behind why it works, what are its advantages. And how to accomplish this.

This thread may include any other mods that aid in the efficiency of anything concerning the stretch. Including 12s upgrades, gear mods, head and grip mods and servo layouts that may enhance performance and or longer flying times of stretched 600s. Even a few larger skid mods to compensate for the larger landing footprint, keeping the extended tail boom and blades off the grass and help with weight distribution. Larger battery mods to also compensate for the same and increase overall flight times. Tail mods, multibladed bladed head and tail blade options. Even body mods that stiffen up the various airframes/bodies to handle the extra stress of the longer booms, including the various means to mount the booms into the body and support the booms.

If anyone wants this thread and thinks it may benefit this 600 forum please chime in. Even if you don't ever intend on doing it.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very interested, would love to stay with the belt drive but can't have everything
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

you can stretch with a belt..just gotta do mods to your drive and driven pulleys to accomodate a wider belt...unless someone can locate a supplier of 4.5mm wide XL belts. How much are you wanting to stretch?
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default maiden hover of my 600 stretch with raised tail

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyLmuK_Hl0[/ame]
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any good source of 1/4" wide XL pulleys that will adapt to the Align drive gear/shaft, and a 1/4" wide 5mm ID pulley for the tail shaft (using custom length 5mm rod stock for my T600 belt tail housing).

Here's my stretch...a T550 with 713mm blades. Currently uses the T700 TT setup (40mm off the back of the tube, stock T700 TT shaft. I still want this to be a belt tail heli, but need some tips on getting 1/4" wide pulleys that would work...any pointers?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQQP2TnMGY[/ame]
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used the metal 8 tooth thundertiger raptor pulleys on mine...had to machine down the ends to get proper clearance...and tapped out the original pin hole for a set screw....or you could just use the thundertiger output shaft as well...and used the same on the front pulley...again shaving the ends for clearance...it'll press fit on like the original align pulley
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Holy Scniz batman. This is a 550 swinging those huge blades! Hats off to ya. Super smooth flying too. Nice!
As for doing a belt changeout I would recommend using this tail boom hub to get started and then doing a thicker 6.2 to 6.4mm belt. This way the belt can handle anything without the normal trex belt issues. All that is needed is a simple gear change on the tail shaft and primary belt drive gear in the hub and you are off.
http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/i2rc-...unt-p2283.html
Or you can use the much cheaper metal upgrade boom mount at HK here.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11691
The idea is to get rid of the plastic hub that flexes. The gears run on a serrated shaft so they just press off and you can press the new wider gears into place. I have looked at the gears from the Logo and the TTRaptor 90. Helihaven has done this and recommends running a grub set screw in them just for a safety net.

P.S. I need to add here that I am having Helihaven cut some gears for me and mount them on the primary belt drive and tail shafts for me. And some spares to boot for crash repair.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

nice to have a mini-machine shop on the back of the boat eh? *grins*
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raptor pulleys...gotta check into those, thanks!

This guy is going into a .60 size LongRanger fuselage...so with scale type flying maybe the plastic boom adapter will do ok enough? The fuselage will also add support to the long tail too I'm thinking
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

one sec and I'll post ya'll pics of the raptor pulleys installed.....
Old 12-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

drive pulley, intermediate pulley and idler, and driven pulley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1103.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	274128   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1111.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	274129   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1112.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	274130  
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks nice! . Did you make that raised tail also?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

sure did! Built this heli for a friend...and it was his first request..wanted a tail like i made for my 450 stretch.

Running a 788XL belt
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is similar to the project I am now also embracing for my 600 build. I am having HH build me a raised tail and cut the pulleys and gears down. Pics will be posted on a step by step from my end and a total build run through. You should see the stretch HH did on his 450. It is more like a 500 now. Nice work there also. I expect to have both my 6s modded custom 450s stretched in a similar fashion by this spring. Mine are currently stretched now, even to the point of custom cutting one of the carbonfibre bodies to work with the fbl configuration I chose. But not as radically as yours HH. It entirely changed the character of the heli in a profound way. If my results are common I cannot figure out why everybody doesn't do this. I just spent hours on the phone talking with a new hobbyist stationed in Bangkok who wants to identically replicate one of those builds. I cannot fathom how much better a 600 will function with these mods if my 450s are any indicator!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make life simple

Take a 600 and stretch it out to 800.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwofJJwQgAY[/ame]

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

The master stretcher has arrived! I seen some 880mm blades with a 14mm grip ...*serious contemplation*
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

my 600 stretch was originally meant to be *almost* a 900 as you can see from this pic of the original airframe..(before it got cut down)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0944.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	274227  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
you can stretch with a belt..just gotta do mods to your drive and driven pulleys to accomodate a wider belt...unless someone can locate a supplier of 4.5mm wide XL belts. How much are you wanting to stretch?
It started out when a friend wanted to stretch his 700, he'd always said he wanted to go bigger which got us thinking about going bigger on the 600.
My FB 600 is an 8S on 880kV, I had another new Chaos 600 kit I wanted to go FBL which turned into a 12S, SK720, RJX head (lowered) with the 560kV 4025 motor.
This thing scared the **** out of me when I first spooled her up for maiden, I thought the 700 was quick on collective, the 600 is like a rocket - just a nudge of the up stick and my eyes weren't ready for the jump, very fast.
Right now I'm using 3x4S 4500 packs with the HW70HV, 2 packs on the nose, the other in the frame beneath the main shaft for good CG.

Anyhow, I'm thinking 700 boom with the TT and gearset, the Chaos frame spacing is the same as the nitro but I do have a few spares from when my original 600 went down.

Here's my ideal heli, I know it's a long shot.
Motor upside down.
700 stretch.
Batteries in the frames, electronics toward the front.
A tail drive similar to the Furion 450/Beam with the belt drive off the main shaft, I really don't like the system on the Align helis, the Beam, Furion etc are sooo smooth.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree. The Align belt system pales compared to quite a few other methods. If you can figure out a direct drive system for sure post it up! For now though if your frame is the nitro spacing you are limited to boom supports. But they do make them.
http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/i2rc-...unt-p2284.html
I do wonder though with all the extra weight from the stretch if it is a great idea to get the batteries down into the frame. What is wrong with the forward mounted setup? And Cascade, what are your flight times running those 3 packs?

Btw: Night, that is an awesome ground breaking stretch! And OMG, dose be some friggin gnarly blades ya be swingin matey! I followed this build. But missed the cam mount. Can you provide the build link to this heli? If it is ok with you I may post up some pics here of your build as we go along. Unless you want to start a fresh commentary on it here?
There is a boatload of innovative mods, I particularly like the upper extra boom support rods. If I am not mistaken you were among the first to ever use these. I love watching engineers like you play!!!!!

HeliHaven, I need to ask here. Are those rods needed with the Rc-Tek boom support? Your Skookum flight logs would surely show a tail boom vibe on "Lisa".
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

probably not NEEDED...but then again..i'm fond of overkill. Her biggest vibe reading so far has been 1.2....but nothing but hovering...and most of the logs have her below 0.5....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in