Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX vs. 3G v.3

Are they going to be at the par ???
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't think so they may have a similar program now???? but after couple of years to redo there hardware i would think they have made some significant changes, and the option to run sats from the 3GX puts it in to a different league. I will try both in the near future.
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remember that the 3G uses 3 "silicon micro machine" sensors, which is kind of older technology, as opposed to 3GX "MEMS" sensor, which is being used on high dollar brand of flybarless controllers and tail gyro....
Blades_Cuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Blade Cuts
But most will never be able to push the 3G to its limits.
Noahh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades_Cuts View Post
Remember that the 3G uses 3 "silicon micro machine" sensors, which is kind of older technology, as opposed to 3GX "MEMS" sensor, which is being used on high dollar brand of flybarless controllers and tail gyro....

MEMS and "silicon micro machine" are the same thing (see this def. http://www.memsnet.org/mems/what_is.html ). Both units use the same technology. In fact, the 3G uses the EXACT same sensors that are used on the black VBAR sensor only recently superceded in December of last year. Really low-end units like most of the stuff sold on HobbyKing use piezo sensors which are cheap, unreliable, and affected dramatically by temperature.

It's really all about the software and the processor performance. The hardware is largely the same between all the units - BeastX, VBar, 3G, 3GX, etc. The one that is different is the SK720. It uses the same sensor as the newer VBAR for it's gyros but it also has 3 axis accelerometers and the combination of the two types of devices allow it to keep track of it's orientation much more reliably that gyros alone. This is the same kind of technology used in fly-by-wire aircraft and spacecraft known as AHRS (attitude and heading reference system) which uses both gyros and accelerometers. Because of this the SK720 has a much more powerful processor than any of the others.

The 3GX does not have a very powerful processor so to get most of the features they mentioned in their press release (like self leveling and bailout) they will require an additional box with a more powerful processor and acceleromters. A firmware upgrade by itself won't do it.
some multirotor stuff w/ AutoQuad6, Naza, APM, PX4, and full size Exec162F and a T210 just for fun!
recurry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to wonder just how much 'better' the 3GX is. I was thinking this since I heard there was a 3Gx coming out and it was all in one module. I suspect the algorithms in these units are very similar if not exactly the same.
CharlieChoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurry View Post
MEMS and "silicon micro machine" are the same thing (see this def. http://www.memsnet.org/mems/what_is.html ). Both units use the same technology. In fact, the 3G uses the EXACT same sensors that are used on the black VBAR sensor only recently superceded in December of last year. Really low-end units like most of the stuff sold on HobbyKing use piezo sensors which are cheap, unreliable, and affected dramatically by temperature.

It's really all about the software and the processor performance. The hardware is largely the same between all the units - BeastX, VBar, 3G, 3GX, etc. The one that is different is the SK720. It uses the same sensor as the newer VBAR for it's gyros but it also has 3 axis accelerometers and the combination of the two types of devices allow it to keep track of it's orientation much more reliably that gyros alone. This is the same kind of technology used in fly-by-wire aircraft and spacecraft known as AHRS (attitude and heading reference system) which uses both gyros and accelerometers. Because of this the SK720 has a much more powerful processor than any of the others.

The 3GX does not have a very powerful processor so to get most of the features they mentioned in their press release (like self leveling and bailout) they will require an additional box with a more powerful processor and acceleromters. A firmware upgrade by itself won't do it.

Okey.... So it seems the sensors have been the basically the same all the time. It's just that they have improved after a while.

Do you think 3gx wont be any better than 3g that uses 1 low grade sensor per axis?
Blades_Cuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Okey.... So it seems the sensors have been the basically the same all the time. It's just that they have improved after a while.

Do you think 3gx wont be any better than 3g that uses 1 low grade sensor per axis?
All I can say regardless whats inside it flies really damn good this time around..
I'm digging it for sure..
headed out to fly another gallon through my 3gX velocity

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Ok, I guess you didn't read my post completely. The 3G does not use "low grade" sensors. It uses the same sensors as VBar last generation which is still a damn good unit and preferred over the Blue line buy some.

I just posted a review on the 3GX install I did on one of my T500s. I have two othe t500s one with Vbar and one with SK720 also. The 3gx actually flies much improved over the 3G with 2.x firmware. I haven't upgraded my one 3G machine to 3.0 yet so can't compare that quite yet.

Personally, I find the 3GX pretty darn good and a better alternative to BeastX. It's a far more capable unit yet simple to set up and he new sensors it uses combined with a MUCh more powerful processor make it basically immune all but the most poorly built ship.

I'm a fan.
some multirotor stuff w/ AutoQuad6, Naza, APM, PX4, and full size Exec162F and a T210 just for fun!
recurry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both - 3GX leaves 3G v3 for dead.. well at least in terms of great performance for little tuning...

* 3G V3 (on outrage G5) did make a huge improvement in tail performance but cyclic still does not fly locked-in for me. I'm sure there are guys out there that have spend many hours fine tuning it and have it running sweet - it definitely is possible for it to be up there with the good setups - but you need to know what your doing and spend time on it.. heli flies ok but doesn't really feel right..

* 3GX (on t-rex550) - loaded defaults, flew 1st pack.. played a little with tail gain in my TX.. Flew 2nd pack, lowered 3Gx gain pots slightly from 12 o'clock to 11:30 as I was getting a little wobble in tick-tocks... Havn't changed since, now on pack 9... Heli flies like it's on rails, tail is crisp, piro is super consistent both directions, aile and elev nice and crisp and snappy... absolutely love flying the heli.
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
jockstrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
I have both - 3GX leaves 3G v3 for dead.. well at least in terms of great performance for little tuning...

* 3G V3 (on outrage G5) did make a huge improvement in tail performance but cyclic still does not fly locked-in for me. I'm sure there are guys out there that have spend many hours fine tuning it and have it running sweet - it definitely is possible for it to be up there with the good setups - but you need to know what your doing and spend time on it.. heli flies ok but doesn't really feel right..

* 3GX (on t-rex550) - loaded defaults, flew 1st pack.. played a little with tail gain in my TX.. Flew 2nd pack, lowered 3Gx gain pots slightly from 12 o'clock to 11:30 as I was getting a little wobble in tick-tocks... Havn't changed since, now on pack 9... Heli flies like it's on rails, tail is crisp, piro is super consistent both directions, aile and elev nice and crisp and snappy... absolutely love flying the heli.
I agree totally ! I have both as well and every heli I own will be getting the 3GX. I still find the 3G nervous. I get frustrated after flying my 600E PRO 3GX and then flying a 700E with the 3G. I cant wait to have a 700E that would feel that locked in.
RAPTOR 90 3D OS91HZ 1ST HELICOPTER
TTRAPTOR903D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRAPTOR903D View Post
I agree totally ! I have both as well and every heli I own will be getting the 3GX. I still find the 3G nervous. I get frustrated after flying my 600E PRO 3GX and then flying a 700E with the 3G. I cant wait to have a 700E that would feel that locked in.

Have you updated your 3G to Ver 3 yet?
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, Its still no comparison.
RAPTOR 90 3D OS91HZ 1ST HELICOPTER
TTRAPTOR903D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in