Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm done. I'll let you experts argue over if this happened or not. Or if it's possible.
It's obvious that some people are just too thick.
EviLSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLSiN View Post
I'm done. I'll let you experts argue over if this happened or not. Or if it's possible.
It's obvious that some people are just too thick.
What makes you the expert and who says that you are not the thick one... Look at both sides of the page here.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
By sealed do you mean airtight? If so then how do you get the charging leads into an airtight container and keep it airtight?
You can't charge in an airtight box but you can store them in one and when something else causes a fire that overheats the box...BOOM.
I even see a large blackened square on the back wall where something square was.
What was there?

I see all kinds of rattle cans and stuff in the pics but no lipo.
If the power supply shorted and caught fire and a can of ether was sitting on it...maybe.
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

only part of lipo I could find and it was under the colapsed garage. I said I think it was the can of spray paint that cause the damage but the fire cheif says it was the battery but he seems to lack knowlege on lipo batteries. If you think I am just posting this to get a rise I can give your the report # and you can pay ten bucks and get it yourself. I have been using this setup to charge my 6s 5000mAH for 5 year in fact I charge my 3 other Thunder Power that exact same setting just before. Never had an issue before.
cmoney79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well then it appears that the Zippy pack was the beginning of the problem, I just dont see a single paint can having that much explosive force.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

you live less then 10 minutes come check it out for yourself expert
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't doubt that the lipo could have been the ignition source, but I don't think there is any way that the lipo alone caused all the damage. There had to be some other source of fumes or other substance to create enough explosive force to do this sort of damage.

As for the mythbusters, they also set off multiple explosive charges simultaneously in efforts to paint the interior of a room that was constructed in the same manner as a normal house with 2x4's, sheetrock, plywood, windows, and doors. It didn't blow the door apart during that.

And if you think this is an "innocent until proven guilty" country, try explaining that to the IRS. If they say you're guilty of owing them money, you're treated as guilty with asset seizure and jail until you "prove" you're innocent.

P.S. I'm glad no one was hurt regardless of what caused this.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #68 (permalink)
HF Support

I am glad that no one was injured.
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney79 View Post
you live less then 10 minutes come check it out for yourself expert
Um, me? I am about 4 - 5 hours from you bro.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephit View Post
+1. One up for bs
Quote:
Originally Posted by backburner1955 View Post
Um, me? I am about 4 - 5 hours from you bro.
It was meant for the guy that live in Perris CA
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

play nicely everyone,
glad everyone is OK,
I hope no helis were harmed in the creation of this accident lol
seeing things like this, genuine or otherwise, reminds me to treat lipos with respect, just like all heli gear.
chuckles_hp19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The OP must be into motorcycles or ATV's....I see a grunge brush!
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Meth Lab.

J/K. No matter what caused it, we are all glad you, and everyone else is ok.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
That is a very dangerous setup especially for charging such a large pack. If one of the cells gets out of balance the blinky can do nothing to get it back when your pumping 2 amps into the pack.
Exactly! I personally now 3 people now that have had flame on using that charger. What I have heard is sometimes it messes up and over charges due to cell count being off or something. Do a bit of searching and you will see the problems reported with this setup. I believe later Astroflight came out with a software update or something.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am just giving you what the i know and what the fire cheif told me I am no expert how can I change the title to something you people agree with? "Lipo Causes garage explosion" I said in my post I think it was the can of spray paint that cause the explosion but the fire chief told me that he has never seen a aerosol can explode with that much force. So I was going on what he said. To those that are saying look there is no charger or lipos on the bench see additional photos I posted. I took any think that was burning and threw it into the street and the additional spray paint can on the work bench I had placed there to compare it to the exploded one. The spray paint can in question was sitting on top of my plastic parts organizer thats why the left of the bench is not black I am attaching a photo of a whole blown though my work bench and into the wall in made a about 2 inch dent in the dry wall. the hole looks to be the size of the spray paint can to me
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Exactly! I personally now 3 people now that have had flame on using that charger. What I have heard is sometimes it messes up and over charges due to cell count being off or something. Do a bit of searching and you will see the problems reported with this setup. I believe later Astroflight came out with a software update or something.

Bob
I'm glad the OP has just property damage. I'm dubious that the bulk of the energy came from the Lipo to do that damage. Agree with EvilSin that it merely was the catalyst to other combustible elements in the garage.

I've been using Ammo cans for my charging, but after seeing this and the other fellows house fire a few months back, I'm going to be adding some cinder blocks to build a containment area.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR1 View Post
I don't doubt that the lipo could have been the ignition source, but I don't think there is any way that the lipo alone caused all the damage. There had to be some other source of fumes or other substance to create enough explosive force to do this sort of damage.
Did you see all the semi burnt plastic and stuff. That would make a lot of smoke.
Smoke can be very flammable.
"Smoke from oxygen-deprived fires contains a significant concentration of compounds that are flammable. A cloud of smoke, in contact with atmospheric oxygen, therefore has the potential of being ignited – either by another open flame in the area, or by its own temperature. This leads to effects like backdraft and flashover." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke

Flashover= Fire with explosive like qualitys, that have the power to break doors and garage doors.

Edit: And I was to slow posting. I now read the OPs latest post. Aerosol can, huh...
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Bob
I did purchace and install the updated chip from astro flight I believe it was version 2 but that was years ago dont know if they came out with additional updates since then. So if you could please advice me of a safer set up it would be great
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
And if you think this is an "innocent until proven guilty" country, try explaining that to the IRS. If they say you're guilty of owing them money, you're treated as guilty with asset seizure and jail until you "prove" you're innocent.
Unfortunately, I must agree - I wasn't thinking about the IRS and my personal experiences with them when I posted that comment.

Quote:
P.S. I'm glad no one was hurt regardless of what caused this.
In agreement as well.
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney79 View Post
...how can I change the title to something you people agree with? "Lipo Causes garage explosion"
Haha, its ok dude. Whatever works.

"Lipo fire causes garage explosion" is probably more accurate is all I was saying. That also might help future visitors have a better understanding of what happened right off the bat. And if you really want to be informative, you might consider putting some details in the very first post explaining what happened so people aren't lead to believe you're implying a lipo caused all the damage but rather that it was a chain reaction. That would have eliminated 99% of the comments back and forth about if its true.

If you want to change it, go to Edit > Go Advanced - from there you can edit the title.

Take care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in