Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors > VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter

VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter VelosUAV Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good Luck Alan. The Velos line and Aris deserve the dedication that is clearly a part of you.
mb-1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb-1953 View Post
Good Luck Alan. The Velos line and Aris deserve the dedication that is clearly a part of you.
Thank you sir.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A New Beginning

Glad to be back online and very glad now that I have a Velos UAV to work with in continuing my quest to explore real world work possibilities for this glorious flying machine.

The Velos UAV is a direct descendant from the Velos 880 and shares its complete dual motor drivetrain and flight control system...why change a proven system that really works well.

So the big change with the Velos UAV that sets it apart from the Velos 880 is the fuselage and canopy.
The Velos 880 was designed to fly 3D...the Velos UAV was designed to go to work.
To say the Velos UAV fuselage is spacious under the canopy is an understatement.
The fuselage is about 5 or 6 inches longer than the 880.
Stretching out a main rotor blade straight off the nose and with a tail blade pointing straight out the rear the total distance from tip to tip is 7.5 feet!

It has very large battery trays that can handle just about any combination of batteries you would want to fly to include the ability to stack the battery bricks on top of each other to generate some very serious flight time.

The bottom cargo rail is 21" long. It begins at the nose of the model and ends at the tail boom attachment to the fuselage.
Being that long allows the loading of some really odd cargo configurations and still allow a good COG for flying.

The little red squares you see in the photos at the bottom of the fuselage side plates are the mounting lugs of the cargo rail. There are 14 on each side, 28 total. Each lug can receive a screw so the ability to mount equipment to the belly is very easy.

I will probably create an equipment plate for my new spray boom and the assembly can then be mounted to the cargo rail with a few screws...Nice!
Past that, as new ideas are explored, new equipment plates can be built up and easily attached to the big Velos UAV.

The cargo rails ability to handle various load combinations is really good but you also have a lot of room under the canopy for electronics.

It's a beautiful helicopter with its fuselage canopy and tail boom cover...and those main blades are just bad ass.

Looking forward to the new year and a new year of discovery with the Velos UAV...should be awesome fun.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos UAV.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	742506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos UAV Right Side.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	742507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos UAV Left Side.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	742508  
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

...as a side bar to working with the Velos UAV in my quest to create a commercial building exterior cleaning business I am also having email and phone conversations with the FAA concerning where I would operate in the existing UAV/UAS regulation of the FAR's.

They have been very helpful providing guidance.
There are many considerations one must take into account before leaving the ground.

First, I will have to get the UAV operators license. Having worked in aviation all my life that will be no problem.

After that first step it gets a little cloudy for lack of a better term.
All of the current regulations up to this point have revolved around UAV/UAS operations where flying at altitude and long distances were most common. Operations like photography, mapping and so on.

There are also regulations cover the spraying of chemicals and insecticide. These regulations fall under agricultural spraying. How much and what type of chemical is being flown, safety measures in all areas of operation of the spraying and the shutting down of the spray in case of an emergency. This gets complicated quickly because of EPA concerns.

So I bring a whole new regulatory thought process with my "hovering spray platform" using the Velos UAV.
...I don't carry any chemical on the UAV/UAS, my supply tank stays safely on the ground and the chemical is "home use grade".
...I don't fly any higher than the structure I am cleaning.
...I don't fly any farther away than the surface of the building I am cleaning.
...I am effectively tethered to my supply tank with the supply hose.

At present if I were to start a business today, I would apply for a wavier which should be no problem to acquire.

In the mean time my unusual type of UAV/UAS flying operation will be discussed in meetings at the FAA to determine what if any regulation changes may be made to include operations of this type.

Should be interesting. I'll post what the outcome is concerning regulation for anyone interested.
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was this a kit or did it come pre-assembled? Did you reuse the skookum system from your other Velos or was something else supplied by Aris?
Velos Rotors likes this.
mb-1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb-1953 View Post
Was this a kit or did it come pre-assembled? Did you reuse the skookum system from your other Velos or was something else supplied by Aris?

It's pre-assembled.
To control quality and success in utilizing the UAV, Aris will not be selling the UAV as a kit but as a pre-assembled aircraft built to the customers order specifications.
The customer tells Aris what he would like and Velos Rotors makes it happen.

I will however be creating and building the equipment carried on my cargo rail for my personal use and experimenting.

Since I am a long time Skookum die hard, I stayed with another SK900 as my controller of choice.

I will be keeping the Velos 880.
My intension is to one day make money with the Velos UAV.

Any inquiries concerning a Velos UAV should be directed to Aris at Velos Rotors. He will be happy to talk about equipment options and cost.
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Man
That is a sweet looking machine dude la
As Always
I wish you all the best & look forward to all your posts in the future

Clark
Velos Rotors likes this.
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falung_69 View Post
Wow Man
That is a sweet looking machine dude la
As Always
I wish you all the best & look forward to all your posts in the future

Clark
Thank you my friend!
The adventure continues.
In having the Velos UAV, my setup and creation of equipment to be flown becomes very simple.

The Velos 880 was a great start for me but beside the challenge of emagining and creating the equipment to be flown, I had to imagine and create a way of mounting that equipment to the 880 fuselage.

With the Velos UAV and developing equipment to be flown...if you can build it...you can bolt it on and fly. It's just that simple.

It opens one's mind to more possibilities, and sets your mind free to dream bigger.

Last edited by A VIKING; 04-12-2018 at 06:55 AM..
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Velos UAV Ground Photos

Moved to Velos UAV thread in this forum.

Last edited by A VIKING; 05-06-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The Night Time Photos

Moved to the Velos UAV thread in this forum.

Last edited by A VIKING; 05-06-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in