Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 500

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleCH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Protos 500 motors and setup.

I'm running 430 zeal blades, stock motor and esc. Using nanotech 2650's. 3 and a half minute flight and motor comes down hot. Is this normal? Belt doesn't seem tight.

I believe I'm using a 15t pinion, no gov. And 85% flat throttle curve. Any special settings required in esc?

Are there other motors that work for this heli?
richord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just my opinion but that's over-taxing the esc and maybe the motor too.. If you're going to run at 85%, I'd have a 13T pinion on it. 85% leaves very little if any head room and swinging 480's to boot, I'm not surprised motor is hot.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which motor are you using? (there have been 2 stock motors, and they both run hot). What HS? How much are you putting back into your packs?

I have 2 Proto's and they both run hot - but I get 5 minutes at 2,600HS (I also run the 15T pinion)
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade550X View Post
Just my opinion but that's over-taxing the esc and maybe the motor too.. If you're going to run at 85%, I'd have a 13T pinion on it. 85% leaves very little if any head room and swinging 480's to boot, I'm not surprised motor is hot.
Blades are 430mm, not 480mm.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Which motor are you using? (there have been 2 stock motors, and they both run hot). What HS? How much are you putting back into your packs?

I have 2 Proto's and they both run hot - but I get 5 minutes at 2,600HS (I also run the 15T pinion)
I'm using 2600 and 2650 packs. Only get 3 and a half minutes. Packs may be a little tired, but one is newer and runs the same time. Charging packs to 95%, after 3 and a half minutes, they come down barely warm and have about 20-25% remaining.

Have to double check on the motor and confirm the head speed. Blades are Zeal Energy 430mm.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I'm using 2600 and 2650 packs. Only get 3 and a half minutes. Packs may be a little tired, but one is newer and runs the same time. Charging packs to 95%, after 3 and a half minutes, they come down barely warm and have about 20-25% remaining.

Have to double check on the motor and confirm the head speed. Blades are Zeal Energy 430mm.
Unfortunately Nanotechs are renowned for working well for a while, but then losing power ....

Why are you only charging to 95%? How are you measuring that?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

All my motors for the Protos I have come down hot. Seems not to bother them. I do let them cool down for 10 minutes or so between flights.I fly 2650 and 3300 , always 4 minutes flights, no 3D.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Unfortunately Nanotechs are renowned for working well for a while, but then losing power ....

Why are you only charging to 95%? How are you measuring that?
Lipo tester after a complete regular charge.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
All my motors for the Protos I have come down hot. Seems not to bother them. I do let them cool down for 10 minutes or so between flights.I fly 2650 and 3300 , always 4 minutes flights, no 3D.
You don't get more time out of a 3300mah pack?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Lipo tester after a complete regular charge.
So are you getting 95% of 25.2 volts? i.e. 24V If so that isn't going to get you 95% of flight time - more like 60%.

My guess is that your batteries are a bit tired - or possibly that your charger isn't charging fully - but probably the batteries.... Every Nanotech that I have had has been great for the first 6 - 9 months but faded very quickly after that.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're balance charging your lipos aren't you? I'd also say it's your lipos unless you have some extra drag somewhere in the drivetrain. Played with charging to 4.15-4.17v but stopped cause it just shortened flight time and they didn't last any longer than packs i charged to 4.2v. Only difference was when I went to charge those packs to 4.2v per cell my charger timed out trying to get that last .5v in. They just wouldn't take it after being charged to 4.15v for a while..

Anyways, I have a plastic P500 with the old Lipotech motor, 15t running 430mm Zeals and a cf stretch with the MSH/Scorpion, 13t running 265 SAB mains and both get 4:30 flight times with Zippy 2700mah lipos.

Both those motors run hot as do all the other Scorpion motors I've used and the Lipotech comes down just as and maybe even a lil hotter. Nothing to worry about.

Haven't had the greatest luck with Nanotech lipos but they haven't been terrible either.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Blades are 430mm, not 480mm.
Ok, I missed that..
Not one mention of kv in any of these posts??
880-890?? more..less??
I'm running 880kv, 2650mah, 14T and 75% throt. 6 min to 3.75 volts and not new batts. 425 blades and motor is quite warm.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You don't get more time out of a 3300mah pack?
Yes but I made an " executive" decision.. I run all of them on my 4.00 minute timer.

The 3300 have about 49 % juice left at 4.00 minutes. The 2650 have about 20 or less left, as they are getting a bit old now)

Last edited by HarryR; 10-22-2016 at 04:41 PM..
HarryR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So are you getting 95% of 25.2 volts? i.e. 24V If so that isn't going to get you 95% of flight time - more like 60%.

My guess is that your batteries are a bit tired - or possibly that your charger isn't charging fully - but probably the batteries.... Every Nanotech that I have had has been great for the first 6 - 9 months but faded very quickly after that.
Lipo meters read % of capacity remaining, not % of voltage. 95% is close to 25.10v.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Lipo meters read % of capacity remaining, not % of voltage. 95% is close to 25.10v.
That sounds cool - I've never had one like that
Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nanotech is fine. I always have good experience with them especially the 25C packs when spec'ed properly for the application. My 6S 25C 3000s have close to 450 flights each pack now and still going. Easily 4 minutes of 3D with 3.7-ish volts left, 470mm blades. Stock motor always runs hot. Hard to say whether your 2600-2650 with 3.5min flight time is normal or not, not knowing how you fly.

This is one of my nanotech 3000s at flight #400.
My Stretched Protos Long-Term Test Nanotech 6S25C3000 F400 (4 min 9 sec)
Hicksy likes this.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in