Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing 130amp V4 issues

Hey Guys!
So i'm at the point where I feel like i've tried everything. Im getting a sudden power loss than gain than loss than gain. Its not timed and consistent its just random. I started running with my brain gov at first. I was having bad cutouts and motor blips. I checked all my wiring and all my connections and didnt see anything. Thats when I went into my hw and turned AFW off and switched to heli linear mode to help with the spool up kick. The Startups were soft now and it seemed to have less harsh blips. I preceded to recalibrate my throttle and it was than that is seemed to go away... for now. I than decided to take it for a maiden and see if this problem had fully left me. The spool up went well and I got into a hover and flipped it up to iu2 and iu 3 to make sure nothing odd was happening. It all seemed fine so I went into some pitch pumps and it to held headspeed and didnt blip like it did before. Thats when I went to try some simple 3d stuff. Tic tocs and such, this is where the motor started to blip and pulse to the point of not being able to hold the tail or head speed. I made an auto and checked my wiring. something in the back of my mind told me to push the rpm signal wire in and try again (leading into the hw not brain gov port). It seems that fixed my issues and I made note to get a new wire for it and that should have been the end of all my issues or so I thought. Today i installed a new wire and checked everything again to make sure it was all plugged into the brain and hw properly. I head outside to test hover and what do you know the head speed starts to drop and than recover. Ive tried the brain gov and the hw gov with every combo I could think of, no matter whether it has AFW on or off or brain or hw gov it wont stop pulsing. Am I missing something or is my HW a dud?

Im running a brain v2 just incase you suggest looking at logs.

Last edited by crazy_for_flying; 03-17-2017 at 03:14 PM..
crazy_for_flying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember reading about others who had this issue and it was solved by turning off LVC.
cbrian4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It happened also to me only one time with the hw 50a v3. LVC was already off and battery was fresh. All wires in place. So it must be malfunction of the esc. I have around 400 flights on this esc.

It happened and to other users but randomly. Yours is more frequent.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My lvc is off.

Sounds like I should call hobbywing and see if I can get it warrantied
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had this issue once and tracked it down to a loose connection. It would hove and fly around fine but when i through it around it would wiggle enough to cut power to the motor.

Are you running the power bus?

Should have asked is this on your max?
Persistence and disposable income required
stevolution is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its probably not your problem, but I'm going to through this out there anyway because it never hurts to check. I've seen some pretty strange electrical issues traced back to not being electrical after all, it turned out to be the one way bearing.
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RPM out signal

I had similar issue with HW130v4 and Brain2. I tried a HW RPM sensor from the ESC to the Brain and this fixed the issue. RPM holding very steady. Seems these ESCs have problems with the RPM out. Some threads here on HF also have the same problem. In terms of settings, AFW off and Heli Linear.

What's strange in your case is that its happening with the HW governor also form what I understood. There I have no experience.

Try the sensor, its $5,
CostaRicaHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes this is on my Protos Max and no im not running the power buss.

As for the one way bearing I doubt it is that because I've had some good light 3d flights on it with no issues. If I had the rpm issue during flight I would land push in the rmp wire and try again. Now that I have replaced the wire and everthing fits nice and tight its just a pulsing headpseed.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also i cant get the headspeed to drop to what sounds like 500ish rmp on the bench in iu1 by moving the throttle stick but after it recovers that one time it wont so it again on the bench.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

have you tried without the Gov or the HW gov ?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes I have tried the HW gov. Same results
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had something like that with a CC and the issue was a faulty extension to the FBL unit
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
I had something like that with a CC and the issue was a faulty extension to the FBL unit
I changed both wires on the esc to fbl. Seems to me that maybe the esc is faulty
Old 03-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does it fly with no governor engaged at all, and either a flat or V throttle curve?

There have been a lot of issues with the rpm signal out from HobbyWing v4 ESCs, the brain is generally very forgiving, but the quality does seem to very from one HobbyWing to the next. Running with no governor at all will at least eliminate rpm signal and governors from your troubleshooting.

If the problem goes away with no gov, then i would pick up the separate HobbyWing rpm sensor and use that instead, those and the v3 ESC range were always rock solid.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
How does it fly with no governor engaged at all, and either a flat or V throttle curve?

There have been a lot of issues with the rpm signal out from HobbyWing v4 ESCs, the brain is generally very forgiving, but the quality does seem to very from one HobbyWing to the next. Running with no governor at all will at least eliminate rpm signal and governors from your troubleshooting.

If the problem goes away with no gov, then i would pick up the separate HobbyWing rpm sensor and use that instead, those and the v3 ESC range were always rock solid.
If that is the case Ross, he shouldn't have to do that. The output rpm should work. If he can determine it doesn't then he should get a replacement under warranty. And the way I look at it, if one thing is wrong on something like an ESC I won't do a work around because maybe it has other quality issues or the broken part may affect the others. Not worth it when he has a warranty in place.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't live with it either, but $5 is cheap troubleshooting. Dan
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
I wouldn't live with it either, but $5 is cheap troubleshooting. Dan
Agreed. For trouble shooting it would be a good cheap diagnosis.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 OP, get the HW rpm sensor and let us know if it fixed the issue.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
If that is the case Ross, he shouldn't have to do that. The output rpm should work. If he can determine it doesn't then he should get a replacement under warranty. And the way I look at it, if one thing is wrong on something like an ESC I won't do a work around because maybe it has other quality issues or the broken part may affect the others. Not worth it when he has a warranty in place.
The problem is the v4's are very variable. I agree you shouldn't need to do this, but when a £10 sensor can fix the problem and get you flying quickly it's the least hassle option. Heck, shipping parts back and forth for warranty swaps can cost you that much.

The first step though is to check if it's a governor issue, or something else.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would agree that it seems like an RPM out issue, but he said the hobbywing gov gives the same results so it rules it out. Since you are running brain2, start logging a few things to get the full picture. Even if you don't have telemetry, run the wire from hw telemetry Port to brain so you can log all the parameters. Select pack voltage, current, RPM, throttle out from brain, ESC power out. In the case of running brain gov, both throttle out from brain and power out from ESC should match the whole time in the log, if they don't, for example the brain says to increase throttle and the ESC doesn't follow exactly, you know it's an ESC problem for sure. Logging voltage and current may also reveal some other possible issues like a bad solder joint or something else. We really just need to see the whole picture when these RPM drops happen. Brain2 logging is perfect for this to see exactly what is happening, use it.

As for warranty, if you contact them within 6 months of the purchase, you will get a free replacement so don't put it off if you are nearing that time.

Oh wait, you said brain v2, not brain2. Sorry, my bad
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in