Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

View Poll Results: Good choice for my first real Tx considering current deals on HH?
DX7 w/ AR8000 for ~$250 5 45.45%
DX6 w/ AR610 for $180 1 9.09%
Other 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please confirm radio choice for newbie... DX7

Hello pilots! This is my first post!

A bit of background on me: I first bought a toy coaxial years ago, and fell in love with that cheap thing. I immediately looked at getting a larger heli, and I ended up with a Honeybee FP V2. I used the ClearView sim to help get me oriented, and I quickly got the nerve to hover my Honeybee. All was well at first, but my first attempt at fast forward flight (FFF), the Honeybee's nose swooped up as soon as it gained some speed, and went into an unrecoverable stall => crash. After repairs, I tried FFF a few more times, but lesson learned: my FP heli doesn't like FFF without wrangling with the controls. Ended up selling it after a few more flights, and got myself a Blade MSR. Loved that little guy, but other priorities took place, and the hobby was shelved for a couple of years. Now I'm back...

I have been skimming this forum in addition to another for over a month now to read up on sims since much has changed since I left. I finally settled on AccuRC for several reasons, but in researching the sims, I became aware of Spektrum's new Tx's and the many advances in technologies for their helis. I'm still looking into what CP heli to purchase (I'm eyeing the 230S and mCPX BL) as my first CP, but I think I've narrowed down my choice of Tx, and simply wanted a sanity check from you veterans. Note that I'm familiar with basic orientations and I would call myself an "advanced" beginner!

It's my understanding that the common minimum is 6 channels for electric CP helis. With that said, the new DX6 should meet most requirements. But I feel that the new technologies are paving the way for more advanced control of electric helis, and a 7th channel would be a better fit for future proofing. HorizonHobby (HH) currently has a freebie and a sale going on now, and it seems worth it to me when I factor in selling the included Rx. I plan on sticking with HH aircraft in the short term (haven't thought long term yet), but I feel a 6CH Spektrum brand or 8+CH OrangeRx brand Rx can be picked up for less than $40 when the time comes. I'm also planning to stick with sport flying helis and planks, nothing crazy involving 3D or scale flying that would require lights, hooks, bombs, etc.

I've narrowed my choice to the following:

New DX7 (includes 8CH AR8000/Sat) + freebie AR8000/Sat = $349.99 - 10% (coupon code) = $315.99
I was planning on selling at least one of the AR8000/Sat as I see they're averaging $70, thus bringing my total cost down to ~$250 for selling one or ~$180 for selling both.

Or is the DX7 not worth it as much as the DX6 that I can get for $180 with a single 6CH AR610 Rx, ~$165 total if selling the Rx at average price. I know the DX7 has the extra channel with rotary knob, extra 3-position switches, and a rechargeable battery pack + charger. It just seems from my reading that many experienced pilots haven't gone past 6 channels with their setups.

Is it worth keeping one of the AR8000/Sat Rx or would OrangeRx do just as well in say something like Align Trex? Would it be better to look into other radios (i.e. Futaba, Taranis, etc.) once I potentially expand into something larger than what Blade has to offer or should the DX7 suit me well?

I don't have a tight budget, but also don't want to unnecessarily spend money. I aim for performance+value / dollar.

Thanks for the help, and for the endless reading you've all given me for the past month.
spd2last is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go for the DX9 if you can sta d the price. Resell is better imo than a DX7
jtcrowder49 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree...the DX9 will give you more options in future functionality...

It has generally been the concensus that purchasing "all the radio you can afford" will reap benefits down the road
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got my DX7. I upgraded from a DX7s. So far i like the radio alot. I got the tx only, plus the free ar8000 for $269. I had 10% off code I used. I was contemplating the dx9, but i couldn't see myself needing more than 7 channels in the near future so I just went with the DX7.

If i figured if i find myself needing more than 7 channels, I will just get the latest radio that will suit me when that need arises.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just following up with you guys to let you know I put in the order for the DX7 w/ receiver package that included another receiver as part of the Spektrum promotion. Bundled with the 10% code and an Atomik bag for the Tx, total came out to about $340 at HH. Just prior to the purchase, I evaluated my needs again and where I saw myself a year or two down the line. I didn't foresee myself using more than 7 channels, so I couldn't justify spending the extra money now on something I may not use.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase!
Now onto the bird...
spd2last is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in